PVE

Sandok

Donator
After a time reading different threads, I've noticed that PVE isn't a common thread, I think that people who maybe can be interested on Co-Op modes
should have a place to express their opinion / ideas to improve the game, and why not here?

When I think on MB2 PVE I imagine a "horde" mode or some type of mission with objectives and stuff like these.
Is it really that difficult to create a cooperative mode against AI? Even if the AI moves the same as in JKA?

I know that AI in JKA is very poor but it could work well in such a way. It would be very epic to fight with your friends against npc.

I think that although the dueling system changes every few months, it is something that the game could use very well and would probably bring many players back.

What do you think?
How do you imagine a cooperative mode in this game?

Could you imagine an AI with the capability to learn how to combo, mblock, PB, and learn from it's opponent? Imagine if OpenAI was possible in JKA/MBII, you could duel AI of multiple difficulties and it would be the perfect practice partner. To bad this game is dated and the AI is bugged in multiplayer.

It would be cool to have a map where unlimited hordes of stormtroopers (or other units) charged at you and you have to get from point a to point b in order to win.

I’d like some new content in the game as much as the next guy, but to me people’s enthusiasm at a Co-Op PVE game mode is really enthusiasm being directed into the wrong direction. Horde mode isn't something that fits into MB2 (Maybe a community FA map thing, but not officially) and I know thats a really vague thing to say but think about. In a game that allows ridiculously high skill ceilings, where does a gamemode of pummeling brainless bots fit in?
Both Open and Duel game modes require players to always be aware and on their toes. Even if you're a vetrean, you're still likely to die to an ambush, an unexpected rocket or a frag grenade that really wants to hug you.

If anything, its more of a situation of "whether you should" and not "whether you can".

The energy of creating a new gamemode that would probably be dead within a week would be better spent on a new item, class or ability that would freshen up the sweaty corridors of DOTF for a significatly longer time.

Sandok

Donator
I’d like some new content in the game as much as the next guy, but to me people’s enthusiasm at a Co-Op PVE game mode is really enthusiasm being directed into the wrong direction. Horde mode isn't something that fits into MB2 (Maybe a community FA map thing, but not officially) and I know thats a really vague thing to say but think about. In a game that allows ridiculously high skill ceilings, where does a gamemode of pummeling brainless bots fit in?
Both Open and Duel game modes require players to always be aware and on their toes. Even if you're a vetrean, you're still likely to die to an ambush, an unexpected rocket or a frag grenade that really wants to hug you.

If anything, its more of a situation of "whether you should" and not "whether you can".

The energy of creating a new gamemode that would probably be dead within a week would be better spent on a new item, class or ability that would freshen up the sweaty corridors of DOTF for a significatly longer time.

Yeah, you're right but maybe a mode like these could bring more players or at least hold the newbies, because in mb2 if you haven't played so much it's so difficult to progress even if you're in a clan, that's why I think a mode PVE where your enemy is a IA (easier than people that have been playing for so long) is a good idea. The main objective of the game I think it's that you can feel like a jedi beating your opponents and feeling like a pro. At the moment, this game is the best star wars game, but it only rewards people that can spend too much hours or train like a beast to become a monster on duels or whatever. It's for that i think the game needs something easier than pvp.

Sandok

Donator
Damn, how sick would it be if someone worked on it.

I'm glad to know that there are people who are looking for solutions and who have the same enthusiasm as me :D
Does anyone know a friend or someone who could know how to use these tools?
that he had knowledge in programming or some type of experience with AI would be fine, so he could lend a hand to the developers and if he convinces them, who knows, he could see his own work in a game (that does not happen every day)

I know it's a dream, but we played enough people, surely there could be someone interested, with our same illusions that could read this.
It's a lot to ask but who knows what can be achieved with a little effort

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Horde mode doesn't really fit but I would definitely like to see proper bot AI in the game. So that lower pop servers have the option of having them, or so that some people can play offline when they don't have internet, or want to practice a certain scenario, etc. But Ben is probably on to something that machine learning of some sort might be the best bet at this point in time. I know I would be willing to donate some of my PC power to help it learn.

Sandok

Donator
Horde mode doesn't really fit but I would definitely like to see proper bot AI in the game. So that lower pop servers have the option of having them, or so that some people can play offline when they don't have internet, or want to practice a certain scenario, etc. But Ben is probably on to something that machine learning of some sort might be the best bet at this point in time. I know I would be willing to donate some of my PC power to help it learn.

Maybe not a "horde" mode but a mission mode (like "defend this point from your enemies", "attack the complex and recover the database") or a place where you can fight AI with friends to practice or something like that could be fine. The most important thing In my opinion is the Co-op experience.
I really want to see what you achieve about AI and see how you implement it in the game.
I think that some friends that I have, stopped playing because they felt powerless in the face of the difficulty of learning, but I am sure that a game mode like these would make them return. Surely many people would be identified with them too!

The main objective of the game I think it's that you can feel like a jedi beating your opponents and feeling like a pro.
So basically Battlefront 2 gameplay.

If out of 4 supposed game modes (Open, Duel, FA and Horde), people only feel like 'pros' on horde modes then people will only play on Horde mode and in turn, will end up separating the community.

I understand the whole problem new players have with getting into the game, but MB2 is kinda based on hitting your head against a wall for 500 hours and if hitting your head isn't something you enjoy, I don't really believe there's any remedy for that.

Sandok

Donator
So basically Battlefront 2 gameplay.

If out of 4 supposed game modes (Open, Duel, FA and Horde), people only feel like 'pros' on horde modes then people will only play on Horde mode and in turn, will end up separating the community.

I understand the whole problem new players have with getting into the game, but MB2 is kinda based on hitting your head against a wall for 500 hours and if hitting your head isn't something you enjoy, I don't really believe there's any remedy for that.

Separating the community? i don't think so
I think what has to be done is give the player more options to learn or have fun playing the game as they want, people who want to play duels will continue to playing duel, those who want to play Open will play Open, I do not think that the community separates when introducing a game mode like these.
At first many people will want to prove the new game mode but as time passes people will choose the way they prefer, which does not mean that they leave the other modes totally aside. Simply the player will have a fresh and new option to have fun and depending on how the AI is made may even the player can take other ways of learning about duels or other game mechanics

And no, I would not say like Battlefront 2, the combat system is not half as deep as it is here, it only relies on clicks and kill things without being able to choose which movement you are going to make or where you are going to aim with the saber (I mean Battlefront 2)

Maybe not a "horde" mode but a mission mode (like "defend this point from your enemies", "attack the complex and recover the database") or a place where you can fight AI with friends to practice or something like that could be fine. The most important thing In my opinion is the Co-op experience.
I really want to see what you achieve about AI and see how you implement it in the game.
I think that some friends that I have, stopped playing because they felt powerless in the face of the difficulty of learning, but I am sure that a game mode like these would make them return. Surely many people would be identified with them too!
Would be awesome, imagine a super VADER BOT and everybody doing teamwork to kill him and his bad aiming canon stormtroopers xD

Sandok

Donator
Would be awesome, imagine a super VADER BOT and everybody doing teamwork to kill him and his bad aiming canon stormtroopers xD

That would be awesome, a few jedis fighting back to back to defeat Vader. A boss battle after few waves of enemies *------*

I've always been a fan of wave-defense games or survival. I think it'd be cool to hunker down in a corner of the map and having hundreds of seperatist a.i's firing at you from across the dotf hangar
or cool stuff like defending echo base from snowtroopers.
I mean heck, I don't know anything of MB2 code, but could there be 'points' and buying new weapons? Like you respawn after a wave with more 'points' to loadout?

Just do a battle royal mode where 32 players are dropped in with only pistols at random spawn points. Everything is a pickup from a lightsaber to a clone rifle to force powers. Sure the servers wouldn't be that active but it would be nice to organize community events. Maybe a monthly thing.

Sandok

Donator
I've always been a fan of wave-defense games or survival. I think it'd be cool to hunker down in a corner of the map and having hundreds of seperatist a.i's firing at you from across the dotf hangar
or cool stuff like defending echo base from snowtroopers.
I mean heck, I don't know anything of MB2 code, but could there be 'points' and buying new weapons? Like you respawn after a wave with more 'points' to loadout?

It would be awesome and really fun to play with friends or singleplayer. Fighting hand to hand to defeat Trade Federation. Runing above the corridors shooting against droids and a darth maul waiting inside for a jedi to fight. Maybe one day!

Sandok

Donator
Just do a battle royal mode where 32 players are dropped in with only pistols at random spawn points. Everything is a pickup from a lightsaber to a clone rifle to force powers. Sure the servers wouldn't be that active but it would be nice to organize community events. Maybe a monthly thing.

Maybe could be, but remember this post is for PVE, battle royal isn't my favourite type of game mode but if it have AI that attacks you while you're runing above the map, that would be ok ^-^