Proposal: Voice Game System

I decided to bring this up again. Something I think people could at least discuss. A quality of life matter.

I have a big gripe with the current voice command system in MB2. First off, it's incredibly difficult to learn the button combinations and I've spend a lot of time trying to learn them, but since they're numbers they're not really logical and difficult to remember.

Second gripe would be that I have manlet fingers that can hardly reach said numbers. Obviously not a problem for everyone. Would probably not be a problem for me if I bothered to move my hand off WASD and closer to the numbers for one tenth of a second. That is, assuming if I didn't take 10 seconds to try and remember what voice command did what. And no, I don't want to read through the menu in the middle of a heated battle.

What I propose is Voice Game System, VGS, used in Tribes, at least. A logical letter orientated voice command system.
You press V to open the menu, or whatever you have it bound to.
Then you press, for example, S for 'spot'. Then T for 'Troops'. VST, something that's incredibly easy and fast to learn because it combines a verbal task to a verbal task, you can press it in the blink of an eye after using it 2-3 times.
Or, VIS, Voice, Imperials, Sith. I dunno how anyone is meant to press 9 or 0 or whatever Imperials is bound to then try and remember which of the 6 classes was bound to which number.

One drawback mentioned last time that I proposed this was presented by... Sorry, forgot who you were. Anyway, the drawback is that since the way this thing works overlaps with letters, it would make movement and such impossible while using VGS.
Counterpoint from me, the drawback of the current system is that it completely shuts down every form of action for me because the number based voice command menu is difficult to navigate and commands difficult to remember.

And, even better would be if players could bind each menu and command in the voice command menu to whatever letter or key they like.

Someone might ask: why won't I just bind all the commands to my keyboard? Not enough keys.

Not necessarily an urgent matter since it's a quality of life thing but I think this would further encourage people in using voice commands more. The voice command overhaul and all the additions it got, along with removing all the stuff that's not useful in MB2, was a really good thing for the mod. I just wish I could utilize it better.

Dont think its necessary, atm the setup is good enough, basics commands are in a range of 1-3, sith/troops/def/att can be bound, and you dont need more voice commands while playing open at all (unless u like running forward and spamming charge), when you pug/match teamspeak/mumble/etc is rather must-have so you dont need binds then at all. Resign from useless chat binds and bind the voice commands needed

Evian

Banned
If the devs make an -insert edgy comment what makes the server triggered- voice I'm set man

I'd have to say I agree with whiskass on this one. I understand where you're coming from, when they changed around the voice commands to what they are now I felt lost. I thought there were too many combinations to remember, but after a couple of weeks (if even that long) I had almost all of the combinations memorized. It really isn't too bad in the current setup and I think being able to move while using the voice commands is a fair point. Using corresponding letter keys may be a bit easier to remember for those that do not already have them memorized, but having to completely stop moving in the instance of using the "S" key etc, it really isn't a beneficial change.

I will say this though, being able to bind the voice commands to keys of your choosing while keeping the default as is would not be a bad thing. And I don't mean like the current voice command binding system

Last edited:
basics commands are in a range of 1-3, sith/troops/def/att can be bound, and you dont need more voice commands while playing open at all

Except I do. Almost all of them can be useful if there are at least 2 or 3 people on my team that aren't braindead or people with the "it's pub so nothing matters" attitude.
And I'm not going to bind them to keys because I still don't have enough keys.

but after a couple of weeks (if even that long) I had almost all of the combinations memorized.

I've been at it since they released the new system. I was at it for 5-6 years with the old system. I never remembered anything. People's brains work in different ways, I suppose.

Using corresponding letter keys may be a bit easier to remember for those that do not already have them memorized, but having to completely stop moving in the instance of using the "S" key etc, it really isn't a beneficial change.

Except that if you can fully customize the voice chat commands to something that's most logical for you to remember, VGS being the easiest to remember for majority of people, pressing those 3 keys happens in less than a second, and even me with my manlet fingers can customize them closest to the fingers of my left hand.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I just built the EC voice command system:

I can tell you now from doing that as someone who doesn't typically code anything (but have to due to man power limitations in EC) that I do not want to deal with a system like that. It adds complexity to things that aren't really worth the gain. Especially makes it not worth it with the problems of input loss associated with that system. If the more experienced coders want to have a crack at it they may be my guest. However I really see little gain and high cost with this. There are way more broken things in MB to deal with.

Hmm, I see.

EDIT: Actually, one thing about VGS in Tribes: I'm fairly certain that you can actually keep moving while using VGS, but if you let go of a button and press it again, it registers it to the VGS. Also, pressing a button that's not in the VGS menu simply turns the menu off without using any voice command.

So, if going forward by holding W, then pressing V, it doesn't register the W that I'm holding, until I let go and press it again. It does cause an inconvenience in movement, but it's coded to not overlap with held buttons.
And, as I said before, it was designed to that almost anyone will be able to input any VGS command in the blink of an eye.

All who have used VGS in games that have it would probably agree it's a better system. But I do understand that it's too much work for little gain in MB2, for now.

How can u have not enough keys for binds? For mb2 you need like what, reload, use, lightsabre change, 2x specials and the rest of basic movement things, it still leaves you with half of keyboard free. Remove chat spamming binds, leave your "signature" bind, and u have 10 slots for voice commands if you need them so badly.

the only thing i would like to see changed in voice commands is the good'old'airsupport :p

Forget all what you said, I WANT GET TO THE GUNS BACK, please devs, holy shit, GET TO THE GUNS and Air support + too many of them. Also, I need a tech over here!!!

Too lazy to change the options for the resolution.

PS: Lol old throne opening animations

How can u have not enough keys for binds? For mb2 you need like what, reload, use, lightsabre change, 2x specials and the rest of basic movement things, it still leaves you with half of keyboard free. Remove chat spamming binds, leave your "signature" bind, and u have 10 slots for voice commands if you need them so badly.

the only thing i would like to see changed in voice commands is the good'old'airsupport :p

There are roughly 40 voice commands that I consider useful in open pubs. In addition, six gestures. That makes 46 commands overall.
I don't have any chat spam bullshit bound. Counting now, I have roughly 25 free keys that are not bound to gameplay related things. Non-gameplay related are two chat buttons, one for team, one for public. Also, there's a good bunch of keys like Å, Ä and Ö that the game doesn't register, and some other ones the game doesn't register.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
I dunno, I stopped using voice chat when they changed. My main use for it these days is to know where enemies are because people love spamming voice chats ha.

How about allowing to actually speak in game using a mic instead of being forced to use chat or third party communication software?

How about allowing to actually speak in game using a mic instead of being forced to use chat or third party communication software?
This would be horrible considering how many people in this mod get butthurt when they die.

A voice chat would have a strain on the server though, or it'd need a separate one to function.

Do you really think people in actually look at your model gestures? I've been playing this game quite long and i can say the only commands most people react are like troops, class and def/att objectives. Thats like 20commands. You could just use seperate binds for sith/jedi and droideka/sbd/wookie, since rest classes are just troops :p. Being able to bind a single voice cmd table (like reply/spot) would be useful so it would reduce the times you need to click for a specific command. Personally i have voice chat bound on I and i never find it hard to click it when i want to use other cmds than are on my binds, even its in the middle of keyboard when i mostly use left side.

Built in-game voice system has it pros and cons, but i don't really want to join a game and be forced to mute 3/4 of server cause people will cry/flame. This game is not popular like CS but just look what happens there on voice chat, i've never enjoyed a voice chat there on "open" servers cuz too many people speaking their own language or they are just kids. I know our community is way, way smaller and mostly people know or at least recognize each other and this could someway make our community feel even more like a big family, but if people would really want to talk they would just join official TS server. (which gamer doesnt have TS these times?)

The gestures also put up a line in the chat. The entire point of that is that the enemy can't hear it. The gestures are there just for the fun of it.

Tl;dr: "Your idea is meaningless because you should only use this feature like I USE and not in any other way"

The gestures also put up a line in the chat. The entire point of that is that the enemy can't hear it. The gestures are there just for the fun of it.

Tl;dr: "Your idea is meaningless because you should only use this feature like I USE and not in any other way"

Never said you should use it only they way i do, more like the current version of VGS is fine and it' doesnt need any rework for now.

Kitho

Donator
I really like the idea of having an ingame Voice-Chat with microfone. Maybe you can add something like in DaYZ where the proximity plays a role and you can hear where they are talking from!

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Implementing the in-game voice transmission is very hard.