Possible Swingblock Bug

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I'm not really sure if this is a bug or just poorly documented behavior, though the Q3 comment below suggests the former.

Anyway: As a saberist, when I'm swinging at gunners, I typically either make several swings until one side is dead, or I hold block through the attack animation and beyond - basically just one swing and I'm back into full block and deflect mode. This, if I understand swingblocking correctly, should completely prevent HP damage, because the moment I get hit I'm supposed to abort the attack and block it instead.

Instead, the attack finishes, and there's a brief window of vulnerability where I'm technically no longer attacking (there's no way I'm hurting anyone anymore, I'm going back into my previous animation), but no longer protected by swingblock despite the fact that I haven't released the block key and probably will not release it until I've had a second or two of genuine blocking, just to be safe.

This only seems to happen if the gunner hasn't already triggered the block by shooting me mid-swing, and (perhaps more puzzlingly) it never happens with Q3.

Typically seen in the BG DotF server, but I've also experienced it in the GMPA DotF server, the BG FA server, the official EU FA server...

Last edited:
Experienced it, frequent as fuck with red style, i could get shot after i finished the attack, when my saber no longer dealt damage, even through swingblock.
Actually i got one of those recorded, check 0:22
After my saber passes through i try to do a 2hit combo, and AFTER the second hit is finished i get shot and flinched.

Experienced it, frequent as F**k with red style, i could get shot after i finished the attack, when my saber no longer dealt damage, even through swingblock.
After my saber passes through i try to do a 2hit combo, and AFTER the second hit is finished i get shot and flinched.

I don't get it, you are running and in flinch range.

DaloLorn

but the swing is already over

The more important part is that you're still holding block, that you haven't released it at any point after starting the swing. The fact that the swing is over is only relevant to reproducing the bug or determining if it's intended functionality.

The more important part is that you're still holding block, that you haven't released it at any point after starting the swing. The fact that the swing is over is only relevant to reproducing the bug or determining if it's intended functionality.
He wasn't holding block when he got shot. He was clearly running after he "finished" his swing. When you use a lot of strength and swing something it would take some time to return to the default (blocking) pose and that's the case with red(it was cool in 1.3 #makefeintinggreatagain). But yeah if you can get shot during that time then you should be able to deal damage too.

He wasn't holding block when he got shot. He was clearly running after he "finished" his swing. When you use a lot of strength and swing something it would take some time to return to the default (blocking) pose and that's the case with red(it was cool in 1.3 #makefeintinggreatagain). But yeah if you can get shot during that time then you should be able to deal damage too.
Yeah i wasn't blocking, simply because i thought i was back to the normal state where i auto-block while running.

Yeah i wasn't blocking, simply because i thought i was back to the normal state where i auto-block while running.
Yeah there's a very simple fix to this tho
Go to class setup. Right click strong style once. Left click fast style once. Done!

DaloLorn

Yeah, that's not it then. I'm not sure where the cutoff point between 'swing' and 'not swing' is, so when I swingblock I'll typically wait until I've entered the block state before I trust autoblock to protect me. That use case is what this bug report is all about, because that's where the bug(?) is encountered.

Ikr, but if you run close to a gunner shooting at you, you are flinch'd.
It's a FEATURE, always been like that.

PS: I didn't say it was a good thing. :>

Blatantly false. Flinch will not occur if you are autoblocking (or, indeed, blocking at all) - it's only when you're in the middle of a swing (and, consequently, damageable) that it is intended to occur. (IIRC, you also don't get flinched if a swingblocked swing is interrupted, but I'm not 100% sure about that one.)

Yeah, that's not it then. I'm not sure where the cutoff point between 'swing' and 'not swing' is, so when I swingblock I'll typically wait until I've entered the block state before I trust autoblock to protect me. That use case is what this bug report is all about, because that's where the bug(?) is encountered.

Blatantly false. Flinch will not occur if you are autoblocking (or, indeed, blocking at all) - it's only when you're in the middle of a swing (and, consequently, damageable) that it is intended to occur. (IIRC, you also don't get flinched if a swingblocked swing is interrupted, but I'm not 100% sure about that one.)

Well it happen'd so many times to me, just running around the dude and get flinch'd.
I thought it was normal :>

DaloLorn

No, you have to swing in order to get flinched... *scratches head*

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Experienced it, frequent as F**k with red style, i could get shot after i finished the attack, when my saber no longer dealt damage, even through swingblock.

These are generally related to damage windows of saber attacks. Lightsabers don't start dealing damage the moment you hit attack. They tend to start dealing damage about 0.5-1s after you've hit attack. This is to prevent instagibbing people by simply running at them.

In an ideal world all these passthroughs would be sorted by going throw every swing animation one by one and tweaking their damage windows.

The reverse of what we're seeing here can also occur where an attack is already in an obvious wind-down period but still dealing damage. Both cases are very annoying and hard to understand and account for without knowing how the game works.

The issues tend to be very dominant with Red and some nudge related slashes as the attack speeds vary greatly from attack to attack.

DaloLorn

I experienced the bug I'm reporting with yellow swings, though. (Red does display it even more prominently, as I learned the hard way chasing Chewie in a Cloud City FA, but I'm mostly a yellow user.)