PoP OS! (ubuntu 20.04 LTS) installation of MB2.

Hey guys, today since installing this game is a pain in the arse to install i've come to make short work of this game for you.
First hurdle was playing the game on proton. Don't
*Actually you may be able to. i didn't want to be labled as the numbskull who did

Step 1: Enable proton in the steam settings and install JKA
* DO NOT Attempt to run with proton. Will get error saying you need to launch the launcher.

Step 2: Download the manual install version of Movie battles 2 for linux at the download page and install openjk*, once done move both into the game data folder. openjk will install some more items into the "base" JKA game folder in game data, just merge the files
*keep in mind open jk is old and on the website there are plenty of versions of openjk, just grab the latest one for linux at index · powered by h5ai 0.26.1 (http://larsjung.de/h5ai/)

Step 3 : Navigate to the game data folder of JKA and find Play_MBII.sh . I found copying the name of the file was easier than typing it in (linux terminal formatting is weird). Next you want to open the terminal and navigate to the JKA game data folder. you can do this by right clicking the game data folder and open in terminal

Step 4: You need to make that .sh file into an executable. To do this you need to enter in the terminal "chmod u+x Play_MBII.sh". afterwards you need to run the bash command "./Play_MBII.sh" to run the game

*i've come across the fact that i do not have libsm which is a 32 bit library that you need to run the game. if you need that aswell the command is "sudo apt-get install libsm6:i386" if you need any other library that the game will specify in the terminal you've created the command to look the library up and install are in the format of "sudo apt-get install "name of library":i386" make sure to remove parenthesis.

If you need any other thing in the form of libraries and or any other updates i can and will help you out on discord Masticater#1118
I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS ON ANY OTHER PLATFORM OF LINUX.

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
dont know much about linux other than its a pain in the ass to install shit not made for it. A for effort