•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Please help! Movie Battles broken in many, many ways!

I'm not very computer savvy, but I really liked the idea of this mod and I've given it my best effort at installing it.

I'll start off by listing some info that might be helpful, then move to explain what I've tried to do, then get to my question.

First of all, I have Jedi Academy through Steam. I'm on Windows 10. Immediately I tried to install MBII, which... Did not end well. It repeatedly could not detect the file that MBII is in and searching for it proved completely fruitless, the search box that MBII uses to detect files couldn't detect or search in-depth for the steamapp common files, so I just couldn't find it or the gamedata folder. After a while, I created a new file, moved all of the Jedi Academy files to it and then bound the MBII launcher to it. I was able to download the maps of the mod and a few other details, but...

Then I couldn't play the game. I moved the files back to the Jedi Academy folder, but then realized that they still didn't work. I changed the data path in the MBII launcher's settings(and, it should be noted, once it has closed I had to go to downloads to get it back and do the same song and dance all over again). After about losing my mind tinkering with it for hours, I got on and found that I could play.

...Nope, not even then. I found that I'm permanently "awaiting challenge" on most servers and those that I'm not, I can only spectate on. After a short period of time, it kicks me out. Just long enough to explain my plight to other players, but not long enough to actually get any help with the problem.

I am completely at wit's end. I don't know what to do here or how to approach the problem. I'm thinking of just completely uninstalling Jedi Academy and trying to do this all over again, hoping maybe this time it will be able to detect the files and bond with them normally. I've followed all the instructions on the download website but it just isn't working.

I'd be so appreciative if someone would help me. I just don't know what to do.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I'm not, I can only spectate on.
Why only spectate? There is a "Join" button at top of the screen, use it.
After a short period of time, it kicks me out.
Kicks you with what message?
You did write a big post, but you didn't provide any screenshots or direct quotations of error messages. That's not how you should make requests for support.

Anyhow, you must keep MBII Launcher running all the time you're running Movie Battles. Download it and place into "Jedi Academy\GameData" folder:
http://www.moviebattles.org/download/MBIILauncher.exe

Also,
MBII Launcher => Settings => check "Enable logging" => Repair installation.
Post latest log from "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII_Launcher\logs" here.

1) I had a very bad day yesterday and experienced a bit of a stress meltdown, so I did not see that. I've found I can, in fact, join a team. However, the matter of the disconnects persist and I am unable to actually join any teams, as by that point I have likely been removed.

2)
AD244A5BA85D7617953A0C19709D9A6178A74608

3) Here's my problem: I had to do a bit of jury-rigging to even get the launcher to be accessible. You see, from the very beginning, the game couldn't find my steamapp jedi knight: jedi academy files. This message stating Jedi Academy couldn't be found would come up every time I attempted to link the launcher I'd downloaded to my game. Allow me to give you a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

5.PNG

As I searched, I found that nowhere in the box could I discover what I needed to find. For all intents and purposes, my steamapp folder containing Jedi Academy seemed invisible.
4.PNG

3.PNG

Now, I hope this is much easier for you to work with and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of last night. Suffice to say, the problem isn't that I don't have the launcher-- I do. It's that I can't actually use it. There's no button that I know of to activate it in the gamedata folder and the only other way to trigger it is to go to downloads. If I do that, it says it can't find Jedi Academy.

What I did last night was, I clicked the "Make New Folder" button and put all of my Jedi Academy files into it. I then was able to install the mod and all of the requisite maps/skins/etc, but found I couldn't play the game. Even when changing the data path and performing the game properties changes suggested on the instructional manual to Jedi Academy, I still couldn't.

I put everything back in the JA folder and found I could play, but that the launcher cannot function, which is probably why I can't stay in any games I get into, hence the disconnect. I'm not very computer savvy, as I said before, so I'm simply unsure of what the issue could be here. If you could help, I'd be deeply appreciative and I'm more than willing to work with you to see this through.

The mod seems really nice, and the community members I've met have all been very kind. I want to make this work.

- - - Updated - - -

Short update: I decided to do some experimentation. I've taken one of my two launcher copies and put them into the game data folder.

I can use the launcher, but it states that Movie Battles is not detected, strangely enough. I'm going to shuffle it around the folders and see if the problem can be fixed through positioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Ok,
Short update: I decided to do some experimentation. I've taken one of my two launcher copies and put them into the game data folder.

I can use the launcher, but it states that Movie Battles is not detected, strangely enough. I'm going to shuffle it around the folders and see if the problem can be fixed through positioning.
Click install :)

Another update: I don't know what I did, but all seems to be in order now!

I'm sorry for having wasted your time like this, friends. I had a very fun match where I died a lot just now. I'll mark this one as solved.

Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

...I'm trying to figure out how to change the thread to reflect "solved", but I don't think I can edit the title!

Last edited by a moderator: