Passing through doors in spectator mode became buggy

As of recently, passing through doors that can be passed through in free-roam spectator mode became really buggy. You get stuck in the door with your camera going mad changing from front to back perspective of the door each millisecond, and it's quite annoying. The only way to pass through doors in spectator mode now is to hold right click (it makes you faster) and to speed through the door. However, if there is another door behind the door you are speeding through you would go through the second door too, so you would be unable to enter the space between those two doors. I don't know which patch messed this up, but it wasn't like this before, you could pass through doors normally.

Steps to replicate:
1. Go to a map that has doors that can be passed through in spectator mode, like, for example, mb2_eravana
2. Try passing through the doors in free-roam spectator mode without holding right click
3. Observe the bug that I described

Screenshot:
The bug is impossible to screenshot.

I found this a long time ago and never talked about it. I want the dev's attention to this. It's terrible and I try to look around the map and I can't because im too busy getting stuck in doors with spectator.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
I know exactly what you're talking about but I personally am not sure what causes it. I'll make sure to do some investigating into it though.

Fang

Donator
Isn't that the line between area portals? I assume it would be to do with those. Since area portals are one of the most frustrating things in MB2

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
I believe it mainly has to do with area portals. Best thing I can say right now is to spectate to another person and then free roam from there. If you're wanting to just look around a map by yourself, noclip works well for that.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Isn't that the line between area portals? I assume it would be to do with those. Since area portals are one of the most frustrating things in MB2

It will occur on doors without area portals. It has nothing to do with them. Area portals just handle visibility. The doors themselves and their interaction with spectator is what teleports the camera.

The game automatically creates a trigger_teleporter around each of the doors with the Spectator Only spawnflag. Basically when teleporting through the door it sometimes teleports into the trigger rather than past it causing the effect noted above.

Last edited:
It may be easier said than done, but the devs just need to make the command that teleports you to the other room just have like a 2 second cooldown so you don't have this problem.

The game automatically creates a trigger_teleporter around each of the doors with the Spectator Only spawnflag.
By the way, why don't all doors have those teleporters? For example, those big doors in DotF cannot be passed through while spectating. Many other doors cannot be passed through either.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
By the way, why don't all doors have those teleporters? For example, those big doors in DotF cannot be passed through while spectating. Many other doors cannot be passed through either.

Door thickness. Thicker doors tend to break.

The frantic camera perspective changes and gettind stuck in the door are fixed, but there is still a chance for you to be teleported the wrong way around when passing through doors - instead of going through the door, you would go back into the room you were in before.