Old Hoth Map

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Whatever happened to that old Hoth map where the Imperials came down in a Lambda shuttle? I can't even remember the last time I played it actually was.

Upvote 0
Uh, they still come down in a shuttle.
Where they enter a long hangar, and the other way is through the ice cave?
Yeah that map is still the same.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
No... I mean you literally came down in a moving shuttle and landed outside of Echo base, doing a little bit of trench fighting.

ZwM

Movie Battles II Team Retired
As far as I remember it was bugged in some way and also I am not sure if there is still the .map file anywhere.
Yeah, there was/is another map than echobase and that is mb2_hoth (as far as I recall correctly).

Oh. I found it. On the BG site. Just search for mb2_hoth. Well, there are tons of maps that used to be played ages ago, but now they're totally forgotten. Vehicle map pack for example...

Here is the loading screen pic:
2STzUBN.jpg

Last edited:

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
Ah yes, the Hoth map that Dacks Zero made based off a map from Sith J Cull. As far as I remember the shuttle was crushing random people when docking and the scripted snowspeeders could be "surfed". He dropped off the radar and don't think he left any source files (at least as far as my limited searching of our internal files goes).

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the speeder surfing! Ahahaha! Just miss some of those old maps. This one, never really saw it after like B17 or when ever it was.

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Was a fun map, good times.

Mcbober

Movie Battles II Team
I remember that old map. Yeah, getting crushed by the shuttle was VERY easy. Jumping ontop of someone during the initial ride was a pretty sure-fire way to kill them, so a lot of rounds started with the imperials trying to Mario eachother to death.

The map sucked, but I still miss it anyway.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
You could just kick someone over and they were a goner hah. I miss a bunch of those old maps even if they were terrible.

Cat Lady

Well, there was some bsp decompiler that worked decently. IIRC it placed textures in wrong places, but for most maps fixing it is less work than mapping map from scratch... If it is really worth the effort, and someone would be interested in picking it up.

ZwM

In case someone didn't know how to convert .bsp to .map as wikibooks state:

Q3Map2 can decompile a .bsp into a .map. This procedure is by no means perfect, and you should never take anything from others maps, but decompiling is map is good to "see how it's done".

1. Put the .bsp that you want to decompile into the same directory as q3map2.exe
  2. Open the command prompt and browse to the folder which contains the .bsp and q3map2.exe
  3. Type
q3map2 -game [game abbreviation] -convert -format map [name of the bsp file].bsp

So if the .bsp is called testmap.bsp and you use Jedi Academy, you use this:

q3map2 -game ja -convert -format map testmap.bsp

You should then find a .map in the same folder as q3map2.exe and the .bsp.

From wiki.

Pahricida

This is very messy though as you get the geometry after it's been split by the VIS process during initial compiling. That basically means the .map file generated by decompiling can only be used to help build it from scratch again.

From what I remember Dacks quit the team and forums but he was still playing under some alias I can barely remember.

Was it Guess? Or someone else. Memory blank. It was a name, non-clan, that you would semi-recognize if you played regularly then...

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
I was under the impression he got into some legal snafu and left everything in a hurry. At any rate he was rather unpleasant to work with so I was not exactly sad to see him drop off the radar :p

Well, someone on good terms could ask him if he has the original files and would be willing to give them up:)

I know there's an active player somewhere in this community who knew and played with him regularly enough that they might have a chance.
I just can't remember who it was. Just blanking out.Maybe if I check my ss. I know it was within the past few months and maybe someone else will recognize the name...or maybe try to lure him with a new girls, girls, girls thread and put up pictures of girls with big booties:)

I loved that Hoth map. The terrain, the objective, the surfing, the visibility, all that made it perhaps *the hoth map*. We just have echobase which is largely in-doors.

Fixe teh crashing and keep the rest as was.

Decompiling isn't as bad as it sounds. If only minor entity changes are needed its perfectly possible do decompile and then just do an entity only recompile. Doing this might be enough if we just want to disable the crushing stuff.
Also, there was a newer version around which actually could decompile the maps without messing up the textures. So I'd say its entirely possible to do this if someone is willing to spend some time on it..

Then again, SJC's maps are anything but fun to work with considering he uses grid 1 and no detail brushes..