ok real talk- mb2's ""future""

i'm going to make this short because nobody cares

you actually need to figure out at this point what the niche of mb2 is going to be. what is the defining mentality/idea/mechanic behind mb2's existence

if it's player freedom (LIKE IT SHOULD BE) then you have a shitton of work to do (not just making a new saber system for the sixth time)

player freedom and letting them do whatever the fuck they want is probably your smartest move here because of how much is already in mb2 that every other game doesn't have. you have until november when the new battlefront comes out and it's in your best interest to not plan on it sucking. even if bf2 is good, you should still have exemplified everything unique about mb2 by the time it comes out. you aren't able to punch out darth tryhard in battlefront. focus on that fact. let us do cool shit. implement the assbeating stick for sold.

do not simply wait for victory under the pretense that bf2 will suck.

AaronAaron

Donator
Didn't MB2 do just fine when the first battlefront came out? It's player base even grew, and they had around 400+ people playing in January 2016. I dont really understand where this "MB2 IS GOING TO DIE WHEN BATTLEFRONT COMES OUT" thing came from, but its just silly.

Giving server owners the ability to customize their server would be fun though ;)

Antraxo

Donator
I love this game (JO/JKA) and I wouldn't drop it I even introduced friends to MB2 and guess what they love it because it's a fun game to play and chill.
I think at the moment the game is pretty good that the playerbase is down is also natural since this game is pretty old.
This mod is keeping it alive I would say and I still see new faces almost everytime I play.
(Also Battlefront/EA bashing won't help mb2). The thing that is going to happen though with every new movie or game coming out that it might ignite a fire in the players who just want to check out "the older" Star Wars games and then they might find this too.

Didn't MB2 do just fine when the first battlefront came out?
mb2 got a surge of interest explicitly because bf1 sucked

it's the same story with mega man indies getting attention because mn9 sucked

the issue with this is what if it's actually good and you have absolutely nothing to say for yourself. what if it sucks and you have nothing new for players disappointed by bf2

hoping your rivals fuck up is generally a bad strategy in comparison to actually making a better product

'then you have a shitton of work to do'
'you have until november'

are you trolling / joking around?
ok let's consider some shit people want-

1. dotf v2
this has been "almost done" for a really long time now but i can totally see this dragging out for far longer than is even necessary

2. finishing the saber system
this will take even longer than dotf2 will just due to the nature of it requiring coding rather than just mapping that shit out. also known as, see above.

3. many of the miscellaneous balance changes/fixes/overhauls that people have been wanting, arc emps, sold cc2, gunner melee weapons, lightning spam, etc
see above

not only is that going to require codework (in a mod that has been chronically short of them and none of them are paid to do work at a regular pace) but there's the design decision of how that shit is going to be implemented, if it even will, and who is going to code it. even if you have a suggestion for an excellent nerf/rebalance to the t21, and everyone loves it, the question is still "who is going to actually code this". in a project where there are almost no coders, any of these things amounts to "a shitton of work" because focusing your attention on anything other than finishing that saber system is going to add even more work onto an already large pile. the devs already agree with open source but the question of "who will do this" cannot be averted.

so yes they have until november, where bf2, the high dollar battlefront game running off of all the (very heavy) criticism the first game had and hot damn does it look like it just might be okay, and yes, i'm dead serious when i sincerely hope that the decision the developers make is something other than "shit your pants and do nothing", because even if bf2 wasn't about to be a pvp star wars game rival to this one, even if it just didn't exist, i'd hope that in
five months from now, we'd get an update.

when i compare mb2 to bf2 and i say that focusing on player freedom is what should be happening, the point i'm making is that mb2 has so many features and allows you to do so much shit that a modern game doesn't let you anymore. rolling, melee, knockdowns, choosing your own character, your class, what weapons and skills you put points in, the sheer amount of maps to choose from, an actual saber combat system, the full authentic mode-

even if battlefront 2 is some god of a game, it's still not going to have any of these things. you aren't going to have the option to put all your points into p3 and twoshot people, the option to jumpkick a guy into a pit isn't there, you're not going to have some cool vader vs obi wan duel because we know the saber combat will suck. the point of me saying we should focus on these things is that if both of these games are good, then mb2 should focus on what bf2 doesn't do to carve out it's own niche and flesh out what was already unique about it.

but hey if we're lucky we can just shit our pants and do nothing and bf2 might suck and we'll get more players again.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Mr. Napoleon,
do You realize Movie Battles is a part time project?

There come these People's lives: free time, work, families. We can keep saying a lot, in the end, They will decide what gets implemented and what not. Being loud about it will not change a thing. Rushing things never ends well. I am feeling sorry You said ALL that for some reason.

you do realize that's my point when i keep putting forward the statement of "who will do this", right

like maybe you missed the entire paragraph about how even if something is good, the question is still "who will do this"

you did see that paragraph, right

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
There is no race, Battlefront is commercial, backed up with $$$$$$$ project. We are people who get back from work/school, study, spent time with friends and family and then code a little bit for MBII. MBII was, is and will be always different from Battlefront or any other games.

I assure there are some great plans for MBII. You are always welcome as developer to help make new things happen.
As of now, there are other priorities . Do you have problems with MBII? I don't think so, there are no major bugs, so MBII is working fine. People enjoy, and I didn't see any bug reports. So while there is no single problem, team can take time to think and plan new content or tweaks.

What I'm saying, you don't need dotf2 to enjoy the game, once dotf2 is ready it will be released.

Saber system is on it's way, you could read about 1.4.5 features and take part in open beta tests. Current saber system is also working as it was designed, based on feedback - it will be changed. It is what it is, it's not broken tho.

We don't have 100+ people working on MBII so it takes more time than you think.

MBII was, is and will be always different from Battlefront or any other games.
That's kind of literally my entire point. MB2 is different. Emphasize that.

You are always welcome as developer to help make new things happen.
I'd have to see the code first to see if it's something I can work with.

Do you have problems with MBII? I don't think so, there are no major bugs, so MBII is working fine.
Why is ARC in the game as an expensive mobile 1life class when the clone has 2life, a better rifle, 3+ ranged unpushable kd/emp? What is the point of letting ARC run on walls and highjump when playing like that gets him killed by gunners anyways? Why have 2life elite soldier when clone is also 2life and better in almost every way? If clone gets it's 2life removed, what will fill the 30 point gap to keep it from having chaingun every round? Will dual pistols ever converge on the crosshair? If not, why doesn't the arc have mando's duallie animations so it can have consistent firing origins? Why even play the 1life gunners when sold still has e-11/nade and can do just as much work over three lives as they can do over one without worrying about getting oneshot out of the round early? Is massed gunner spam being so consistently effective considered "fine"? When will the loading tips stop referring to sold CC2? Why is melee in a state of "crouch to shut everything down"? Why does BH punch harder for no written reason? When will reverse kata throw have more consistent reg rather than operating off of NEWS points of direction? Why does it specifically work like that when F/B/N kata don't require it? Will receiving knockback ever cease to cancel katas? Will anything ever be done about lightning -> saber combo? Will the T-21 ever be looked at? Is crouchjumping as arc/clone supposed to overwrite your "aerial" state and grant you crouch stamina regen (and if it is why isn't it written anywhere)? Why are some things, like mando rolljetting written ingame as "encouraged tips" but other tech like dex3 roll/hero jumpkick cancel isn't, with some of them treated as if they're "wrong" somehow in a game that's supposed to be about learning all of the ridiculously specific skills to better yourself? Why restrict melee weapons to jedi when most gunners don't have dex and would lose a saberfight instantly to a KD(slap)?

What I'm saying, you don't need dotf2 to enjoy the game, once dotf2 is ready it will be released.
and what i'm saying is that it's certainly something a solid 40-50% of the playerbase is waiting for, aka, it's on the list of "a shitton of work" alongside many other things people want but probably won't get anytime soon.

We don't have 100+ people working on MBII so it takes more time than you think.
yes which is why i keep saying "Who is going to code this" as in "Who of the possibly dozen people will code this" as in "None of these people are obligated to work consistently on this" as in "Someone has to go out of their way to do this" as in "Nobody is obligated to do anything, who will specifically go out of their way to do this".

that'd also be why i mentioned this five months before the game even came out rather than weeks before, but again i seem to be the only one that gives this much of a shit about the game so i'm not even sure why this thread is still open when everyone is predetermined to not care.

LoU

R2D2
Why is ARC in the game as an expensive mobile 1life class when the clone has 2life, a better rifle, [...]
I don't see a problem here, it was designed this way.

[...] 3+ ranged unpushable kd/emp?
EMP's are pushable, not sure what did u mean by "kd".

What is the point of letting ARC run on walls and highjump when playing like that gets him killed by gunners anyways?
I don't see a problem here, if you don't like running on walls, then don't that. I find it extremely fun and useful.

Why have 2life elite soldier when clone is also 2life and better in almost every way?
It's been like this for 10 years. Is it a problem just now?

If clone gets it's 2life removed, what will fill the 30 point gap to keep it from having chaingun every round?
Don't see a bug here.

Why even play the 1life gunners when sold still has e-11/nade and can do just as much work over three lives as they can do over one without worrying about getting oneshot out of the round early?
Ask people who play 1 life classes

Is massed gunner spam being so consistently effective considered "fine"?
Haven't seen "massed gunner spam". I would say opposite, but look, you have only one class without gun - so.... this is not JA, JA+ etc. This mod was designed this way,.

When will the loading tips stop referring to sold CC2?
What's wrong with it?

Why is melee in a state of "crouch to shut everything down"?
Please be more specific.

Why does BH punch harder for no written reason?
Not sure on this one, haven't checked that.

When will reverse kata throw have more consistent reg rather than operating off of NEWS points of direction?
Some day, maybe.

Why does it specifically work like that when F/B/N kata don't require it?
No idea what you are talking about here.

Will receiving knockback ever cease to cancel katas?
Dunno.

Will anything ever be done about lightning -> saber combo?
I hope so, in the meantime try to get rid of that sith with your team first.

Will the T-21 ever be looked at?
Don't see a problem here.

Is crouchjumping as arc/clone supposed to overwrite your "aerial" state and grant you crouch stamina regen (and if it is why isn't it written anywhere)?
Not sure about this one.

Why are some things, like mando rolljetting written ingame as "encouraged tips" but other tech like dex3 roll/hero jumpkick cancel isn't, with some of them treated as if they're "wrong" somehow in a game that's supposed to be about learning all of the ridiculously specific skills to better yourself?
Feel free to propose changes to our wiki.

Why restrict melee weapons to jedi when most gunners don't have dex and would lose a saberfight instantly to a KD(slap)?
Design.

Dotf v2 will be released when it will ready. Period. You can play on 20+ other maps in the meantime. It's not like you have only few maps out there.

Nothing which you just posted stops you from playing this game.

that'd also be why i mentioned this five months before the game even came out rather than weeks before, but again i seem to be the only one that gives this much of a shit about the game so i'm not even sure why this thread is still open when everyone is predetermined to not care.

Not care huh?
I think you have no idea how development looks like :)

Each team have their own task lists.
We are limited by time, everything has to be discussed before it will be implemented.

Even I'm retired team member, I spent at least 10h to 15h discussing with Viserys few things.

If you don't see our work, progress it doesn't mean that we are doing nothing.

Everything takes time, ideas, discussions, tests, implementation, testing, fixing, more tweaking, reverting changes, fixing based on beta tests feedback.

1. Someone threw idea about changing or implementing feature X
2. Now we need to write specification and document this feature.
3. Discussion about feature, pros, cons, impact on mod.
4. Proposal of implementation.
5. Inital code, feature implemented.
6. Testing our theory.
7. More testing and tweaking.
8. Feature in alpha state - ready.
9. Beta tests starts.
10. DIscussion, feedback
11. Tweaking, implementation.
12. More beta tests with fixes and tweaks based on feedback.
13. Feature has been added/reworked.
14. --- > Added to release.

How I think, you see it (based on your posts):
1. Someone threw idea about changing or implementing feature X
2. Some coder implemented it in 2 hours.
3. Feature has been added/reworked.
4. --- > Added to release.

We are still learning from mistakes done in the past, we are trying to get better and deliver product without any bugs. It takes time, a lot of time and effort.

I could give you more examples on "how much we don't care", but I'm busy with some 3rd stuff related to MBII :)

Why is ARC in the game as an expensive mobile 1life class when the clone has 2life, a better rifle, [...]
I don't see a problem here, it was designed this way.
So you designed the arc, which is supposed to basically be a "super clone" to have inferior performance, results, and in some ways less versatility in comparison to the straightforward 2life clones
Why have 2life elite soldier when clone is also 2life and better in almost every way?
You have two "soldier+" classes that have two lives and one of them is significantly better than the other. You can do rally w/ EC OOOOOR you can just have everyone do clonespam instead and have every body you have in that group be a significant force of murder and KD spam.

EMP's are pushable, not sure what did u mean by "kd".
kd = knockdown
i don't recall emp blobs ever being pushable at any point in my gametime.

as in, the clone can shoot a jumpkick at you and knock you down from across main. arc has no answer to the power of blob. arc doesn't have an ability that lets him shut down jedi within seconds whether the jedi likes it or not. gloan does

Ask people who play 1 life classes
most people who play 1life gunners play them for the EZ 1shot sniper kill potential. that's it. the issue with that being that you can get just as good(often better lol) results using the more conventional methods of sold/clone.

What is the point of letting ARC run on walls and highjump when playing like that gets him killed by gunners anyways?
I don't see a problem here, if you don't like running on walls, then don't that. I find it extremely fun and useful.
yeah i find rolling across main in under ten seconds and bumrushing their snipers fun too

that doesn't mean it's viable.

you have only one class without gun
and everyone plays the one class. and almost every major update is centered around it. and the entire meta of movement and positioning centers around this one class without a gun, entire strategies and concepts shut down just by them being in the general vicinity. when i say u need to figure out the identity of the mod i mean shit like accepting that the entire game is balanced and designed around the jedi. when i speak of massed gunnerspam potentially being "too effective" i mean "it's very effective, is it supposed to be?" because i know this is a game about being a cool jedi.

When will the loading tips stop referring to sold CC2?
What's wrong with it?
it's not in the game anymore.

Why is melee in a state of "crouch to shut everything down"?
Please be more specific.
when u crouch u become immune to getting kd by sbd slap, wook slap, wook barge (iirc, cud be rong), kick, uppercut, jumpkick, and i'm probably wrong, but maybe sweepkick too.

crouching down and swinging your saber to oneshot melee is a very real valid strategy, as is crouching down, sitting completely still, and shooting the guy meleeing you causing his attacks to be worthless because you can't kd him and his shots push you away. the only real exceptions to this are wookiee (turn around and run away) and every other guy complains that wookiee is "overpowered" when it's very close to the only good melee in the game

so basically, u crouch, and then u shut down everything melee has against u

ez.

Why does it specifically work like that when F/B/N kata don't require it?
No idea what you are talking about here.
forward/backward/neutral kata can operate at cardinal angles. reverse throw can't.

Will the T-21 ever be looked at?
Don't see a problem here.
i've seen a lot of complaint (and genuine ragequitting) over t-21 supposedly being both too strong and too easy.

Feel free to propose changes to our wiki.
how is that helpful when what i just wrote was a matter of writting in an additional text file into the loadscreen entries.

Why restrict melee weapons to jedi when most gunners don't have dex and would lose a saberfight instantly to a KD(slap)?
Design.
how is that a design thing when u aren't sure if massed gunnerspam winning is fine or not

why is it okay if gunnerspam shuts down jedi (the main class of the mod) but it's not okay if the gunners have swords? why worry about them encroaching upon the territory of "jedi's niche" when they could never possibly hope to use the weapons as effectively as actual jedi (and are fiercely at the mercy of push/pull while jedi aren't) but it's okay if u let ppl reenact order 66 and win every round doing it?

You can play on 20+ other maps in the meantime.
the 20+ other maps, of which only 2 of them r played on na servers. dotf and deathstar

Don't see a bug here.
maybe because a problem and a bug aren't mutually exclusive and you just tried to actually tell an end user that they have no problems with your product.

o and one last thing- jumpkick and jedi/arc forward kick getup both end up freezing at times, which gets you killed. that one's an actual bug!!!!

LoU

R2D2
Most of your posts are feedback posts, I'm not saying bad, but you could elaborate more, and create proper topic.
There are some plans regarding many things (also some of issues you are talking about). Again, this should be covered in future releases, once upcoming is done. Nothing is ignored, it just needs to be wisely planned.

I, myself would like this game more like it used to be back in RCx times, but devs need to think about majority.

Bob-Billy

KotOR Mapper & Cultist
Movie Battles II Team
MBII is the GTA+SW perfect mix , it's priceless and it's free

chicknman

Banned
I love how people keep saying this game is going to die, but recent trends prove otherwise. I remember 3 years ago when AOD was the only populated NA Server. Now you have AOD, tR, and CB. I've even seen times where four NA servers have 20+ players each, which would be unheard of 3 years ago.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
1. dotf v2
this has been "almost done" for a really long time now but i can totally see this dragging out for far longer than is even necessary

2. finishing the saber system
this will take even longer than dotf2 will just due to the nature of it requiring coding rather than just mapping that shit out. also known as, see above.

Creating a level is much harder than you think it is. Especially one that is designed to be a better version of the communities favorite map. In many cases, a lot of features in MB2 code wise, are a lot less complicated to make than many levels are. Levels may appear simple on the surface, but I have literally had debates and discussions for 2 hours about the impacts that a size of a single doorway can have on a level.

DOTFv2, while a majority of it is finished it has had issues getting side routes that hit all the bullet points we want to hit with the designs. There have already been 4 playtested versions of the side routes, 2-3 concepts on top of that which were never made as we thought a different method would be better, and the new updated side routes that Spag is working on now. Plus the variants of the side routes that exist in the current DOTF which have changed heavily over the years.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
arcs response to jedi is dex 3, imo. let them push you, then kick them as you get up and shoot them as you kick. most never expect it. ion nade launcher is also useful @Sanic

Levels may appear simple on the surface, but I have literally had debates and discussions for 2 hours about the impacts that a size of a single doorway can have on a level.
It doesn't matter how long you discuss how much traffic/choking you want to occur at that door if the level still isn't designed to let you get benefit from the physics system through rolling off ramp/ledge

Such an integral mechanic/skill and half the maps in the game don't even let you use it on the regular, which is stupid basically. It's another layer of "if ur good u shud be gudder than them" but the map design is half drunk and refuses to place these ramps anywhere so it's like you don't want good players ramping off of shit constantly to go fast so most people don't even know to do this because almost no map specifically takes advantage of it, so basically it's like how people cite making changes in the name of competitive but every other person mocks competitive and no one plays it lmao

if you want to ask why this even matters it's because it's on my top list of fun things to do in this game and the most played map doesn't have it at all so it's boring. i go to dotf and it's just "oh boy can't wait to walk down this long hallway AGAIN" when even if i do that same thing on deathstar i still have the variations of "did i jump through the doors right" and "did i launch off the ramps well" so basically i can actively do things to make these long walks shorter which is GOOD. also it has like 4 routes (main side trash elevator) and dotf has 2 (left and right) so that's garbage too. dont tell me u can go touch a computer to unlock the additional 2 because one, nobody does that because two, mandos like to camp that room and oneshot you for trying. i know the delay on that door is to stop main from getting flank buttfucked instantly (even tho playing risky and rushflanking is part of the fun of deathstar??) but all it does in practice is let mandos set up to ruin you for playing the objective lol

deathstar doesn't have issues with u getting oneshot for trying to go side routes. the only class that can rush main faster than u is a mando (and their shots are easy to avoid) and the garbage crusher will never actually kill you if you go for the door immediately. ive only seen ppl die to it because they were being dumb playing in the kiddie pool

Levels may appear simple on the surface
anyone who believes levels are simple must of had a hand in the garbage that is current dotf. the entire map is basically 3 giant sniper friendly hallways that lead into a big ass sniper friendly hangar and it has almost nothing other than cover that is "un sniper friendly" and they benefit from it just as much as u do lol. then again i'm not surprised people love it because half the community does play 1shot sniper heroes and the other half plays jeDAI so ofc they love their big open rooms so they can play pirate fights with eachother lol

i'd love to see someone create a dotf that isn't massive hallways. i'd actually like to see someone just draft out a rough "fun dotf" just see what it'd look like. draw it in mspaint, idc

DOTFv2, while a majority of it is finished it has had issues getting side routes that hit all the bullet points we want to hit with the designs.
are you referring to main (the left hallway) or side (the gen hallway)

if u mean the left hallway, then yeah idt anything you can do to it will particularly make me care, because it's basically always going to be a massive hallway no matter what so if i fight in it there's some really fat dude sniping at me from the other end and i don't care to almost pwn a jedi and then get 1shot sniped cus i was totally bad at the game lmao

yeah u can add "more cover" but even now the cover it has is essentially "very practical" but the hallway is still sniper's heaven regardless so it's dumb

the only issue i could see someone having with gen hall is just how cramped it is but that was part of the appeal and many (fun) clusterfucks happened in there, especially involving sabers rockets and fists. if the issue someone had with it was "lol it's 2 cramped and i cant shove 2 gunners into 1 cover spot" then maybe they need to get good lol there's like 20 places u can sit behind there, and even with it being cramped it was still better than going longhall in every way.

even with all of that aside, even if dotf2 was supposedly just "really good now" i still wouldn't care because it'd likely still fail to be as fun as deathstar because no matter what, i do not care to walk around a bunch of extremely bland and uninteresting hallways, even if they suddenly look much nicer now.

arcs response to jedi is dex 3, imo. let them push you, then kick them as you get up and shoot them as you kick. most never expect it. ion nade launcher is also useful @Sanic
arc forward kick is a 50/50 strat unless the jedi you're playing against is smart and crouches in which case it's a 20/80 strat depending on if flinch stops them from sabering you (and seeing how bad roll into enemy as a strat is it probably wont)

rollback is better and keeps you away from their sphere of "lol ur fukin ded kid" and it just avoids the entire gamble of whether or not the enemy is bad

arc can absolutely shit on jedi if you abuse absolutely everything they have, but again, so can clones, and clones can do it longer (lv1 blob still >> their 1-2 emp nades they tend to have) and better (blob cant be reflected and even if it's expected, hard to react to) and easier (u literally blob them once and they die). once arc runs out of emp nades he runs out of his most consistent "i shit on u lmao" setup, and taking more than one emp nade means taking points of out dex, stam, or even something like armor (Please don't.) meanwhile clones get anywhere from 3 to 9 blobs (6 with default build) so between that and 2life they can seriously shred both gunners and jedi with relative ease (ofc, so can 3life solds with a single altfire frag each life, getting a free kill each spawn effectively)

If you run the grenade launcher, you lose even more dex/stam. Even if you do run the launcher the clone rifle just has better firepower most of the time with cr2 flinching the shit out of anyone who tries to touch you (God save them if you take cr3 blobs.)

Arc is basically a class where you can try really hard and end up being about as effective as one clone.

Too bad those things get two lives though.