New patch VS saberists

I've played this game almost every day for years, and i think that until the current patch, it was the best star wars game/mod ever produced. that said, nowadays it's more like low graphics EA battlefront.

my issues are as follows:

1) if you PB somebody or somebody PBs you, you lose like 80 BP, the same as if they jumped on your face with red. IMO nothing should take 80 BP because i want to have a good 1-5 minute duel, whether it's me or the opponent that loses. it's just who's the first to get hit for 80BP that loses. really kinda sucks. IMO i shouldn't be PBing the entire fight anyway, nobody should be bothering with that because it sacrifices positioning, especially with staff.

2) because somebody thought PBing was the only thing we should be doing in fights, staffs are trash because you can't turn your back in this patch because you need to PB constantly to not die. i had previously developed staff strategies and movement sets that involved back-turns for repositioning. now this just gets you killed. so -1 screen authenticity for maul players becuase he can only spin in WA DS D combos now. thanks devs.

3) the new animations are janky and i just don't really like the changes to yellow and purple. purple feels like you're tranquilised unless you bug abuse the way the system works to get faster swings (IE it's badly designed). i don't like how yellow is now, and blue still has a disjointed feel. so the devs patched the wrong styles' animations or something?

4) kata spam is horrible and it constantly interrupts duels, leading most players to spam it out of frustration, meaning nobody has any fun. as far as i'm concerned, katas like the jumping staff kata, blue and purple crouch katas and etc, should all essentially be trash. because otherwise this type of thing happens where people just spam it to fuck.

5) ACM changes are horrible, i haven't seen ACM at all since patch. i'm told it exists still.

6) red and purple were already good before being patched. before patch, purple masters could give every style a run for their money. now, purple dominates. before, red masters could interrupt and bash their way into any situation. now they just 2hit their enemy.

7) were parries changed? AW SD / DW SA parries for staff seem to suck now, and becuase everyone is PBing it's honestly harder to use the staff parries.

there's so much i find offputting about this patch that that's probably not even half of it. i probably can't even put my finger on what's causing it to feel so different in this patch because there's so much odd stuff, and acting with similar strategies to the previous patch just gets you destroyed. most of the time you just have to sit and wait for your enemy to give you a PB and you can 1hit them.

Right, so you can't pb so you complain that it's essential now, Pbing has always been essential, it's just even more essential now. Where as last patch shadowswinging and dodging was way more viable due to acm... Then, you complain about acm not being there anymore to carry you, when acm is still there. It's just not as potent - you would get acm if you were "dominating" your opponent. Dunno what to tell you, this patch is way more about skill and timing, than it is "staff strategies and movement sets" If you enjoy running and dodging you should try out base JKA.

Right, so you can't pb so you complain that it's essential now, Pbing has always been essential, it's just even more essential now. Where as last patch shadowswinging and dodging was way more viable due to acm... Then, you complain about acm not being there anymore to carry you, when acm is still there. It's just not as potent - you would get acm if you were "dominating" your opponent. Dunno what to tell you, this patch is way more about skill and timing, than it is "staff strategies and movement sets" If you enjoy running and dodging you should try out base JKA.

PBing wasn't essential in the last patch at all, and now it's the only thing that matters. everyone in duels servers is having like 20 second duels, so it's not just me. current meta is kata spam with purple and pbing. you can't use the staff properly because you have to PB. what i mean by movement and strategy is moving in a manner that allows a faster swing followup by turning your back, which is just pointless because of the changes.

also, making the game less user friendly is a good way to ensure people download it, play it once, then drop it.

PBing wasn't essential in the last patch at all, and now it's the only thing that matters. everyone in duels servers is having like 20 second duels, so it's not just me. current meta is kata spam with purple and pbing. you can't use the staff properly because you have to PB. what i mean by movement and strategy is moving in a manner that allows a faster swing followup by turning your back, which is just pointless because of the changes.
It most certainly was... and if you are having 20 sec duels it might be because you perhaps can't pb. Or maybe your opponent can't pb.

It most certainly was... and if you are having 20 sec duels it might be because you perhaps can't pb. Or maybe your opponent can't pb.
yeah you need to learn to read buddy.

> everyone in duels servers is having like 20 second duels

so unless you think i'm god or some sort of borg. yeah. duels last way less time now.

>It most certainly was

no it wasn't. if you attack in a manner that denies PBing then there's no reason for you to actively PB either. but now if you do that everyone ends up with no BP anyway.

yeah i was pretty much specifically referencing your video when saying staffs are trash. you're basically sat there in block holding the saber horizontally. that's the intended gameplay of this patch. just sitting doing nothing waiting for your opponent to punch himself out.

PS. ask maul how sitting with staff horizontally works out

yeah you need to learn to read buddy.

> everyone in duels servers is having like 20 second duels

so unless you think i'm god or some sort of borg. yeah. duels last way less time now.

>It most certainly was

no it wasn't. if you attack in a manner that denies PBing then there's no reason for you to actively PB either. but now if you do that everyone ends up with no BP anyway.
Mate, i certainly don't have 20 sec duels. And i know of plenty of people that don't either.

Mate, i certainly don't have 20 sec duels. And i know of plenty of people that don't either.

i'm yet to see a duel server that isn't just people standing around next to bodies typing in chat about purple kata OP since this patch

everyone in duels servers is having like 20 second duels
Im not a good duelist, if at all, im average, but even my duels against "pros" last longer than 20 sec.
Also in open I only encounter these "pros" to stop them rushing, I always know if I face them I get slaughtered, I always hope I can stop them long enough, so our gunners can get the upper hand in the battle.
But yeah overall this new saber vs saber isnt good, in the sabersystem before I at least had a small chance to survive, but now...well the BP drain seems random sometimes, too.

Im not a good duelist, if at all, im average, but even my duels against "pros" last longer than 20 sec.
Also in open I only encounter these "pros" to stop them rushing, I always know if I face them I get slaughtered, I always hope I can stop them long enough, so our gunners can get the upper hand in the battle.
But yeah overall this new saber vs saber isnt good, in the sabersystem before I at least had a small chance to survive, but now...well the BP drain seems random sometimes, too.
This is how it should be. Pros should be significantly more deadly than average duelists unlike last patch where an average player would stand a chance against a pro.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired

For my part, I find that I am often capable of stalemating some of the more competent enemy saberists (unless they gang up on me or have gunner support, in which case I'd better have backup of my own), as well as overwhelming most of the others. Mind you, many of the people I've fought in open aren't typically seen in duel servers, where my success rate is much more in line with the one I had in 1.4.9.

(The difference, in my experience, is that high-end duelists use all sorts of tricks to accelerate their swings or otherwise become unblockable - yawing, for instance. You don't see a lot of that in open servers, so things work out a lot better for an untrained duelist like myself.)

^I agree with that.
The edge that regular and experienced duel mode players have over saberists from Open only is that they are far more familiar with swing masking and fastening their animation to get rid of gunners quickly, also allows them to dispatch or at least force back other saberists in no time.
Also I'm happy that in rare 1v1 situations in Open I can now use my dueling experience to quickly dispatch of less skilled saberists because this patch doesn't forgive mistakes at all. Comebacks are possible, but unless you are great at PBing or your opponent fucks up too - it ain't gonna happen. In 1.4.9 less skilled duelists could survive, wait for backup or even hold me off for a while because duels lasted longer and often dragged and felt repetitive and boring. It's why I love 1.5 so far.

upload_2018-6-4_23-21-0.jpeg

This is how it should be. Pros should be significantly more deadly than average duelists unlike last patch where an average player would stand a chance against a pro.
Didnt say I won against them always in the patch before, I still can defeat "pros", many of the fulltime duelists are arrogant and often this results in failures.
Im fine if good duelists can slaughter bad duelists fast thats actually a good thing, but I wish the BP drain wouldnt feel so random at times.
I probably will be never really great in dueling against 24/7 duelists, but thats fine for me since I play mostly open anyways.

In 1.4.9 less skilled duelists could survive, wait for backup or even hold me off for a while because duels lasted longer and often dragged and felt repetitive and boring. It's why I love 1.5 so far.
If I take blue I still can hold off experienced duelists for a long time.
Also nothing is more fun, than jumping between a greedy "pro" and a downed mate and stop him to get his easy kill. :p
Since the new update I focus more on defending my gunners (mostly the goods one, newbies always shoot my back if they get up :confused:)

I just ve to say now..that i ve absolutely no idea again to duel! just at the moment i figured it out in the last patch xD

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
I've played this game almost every day for years, and i think that until the current patch, it was the best star wars game/mod ever produced. that said, nowadays it's more like low graphics EA battlefront.

my issues are as follows:

1) if you PB somebody or somebody PBs you, you lose like 80 BP, the same as if they jumped on your face with red. IMO nothing should take 80 BP because i want to have a good 1-5 minute duel, whether it's me or the opponent that loses. it's just who's the first to get hit for 80BP that loses. really kinda sucks. IMO i shouldn't be PBing the entire fight anyway, nobody should be bothering with that because it sacrifices positioning, especially with staff.

2) because somebody thought PBing was the only thing we should be doing in fights, staffs are trash because you can't turn your back in this patch because you need to PB constantly to not die. i had previously developed staff strategies and movement sets that involved back-turns for repositioning. now this just gets you killed. so -1 screen authenticity for maul players becuase he can only spin in WA DS D combos now. thanks devs.

3) the new animations are janky and i just don't really like the changes to yellow and purple. purple feels like you're tranquilised unless you bug abuse the way the system works to get faster swings (IE it's badly designed). i don't like how yellow is now, and blue still has a disjointed feel. so the devs patched the wrong styles' animations or something?

4) kata spam is horrible and it constantly interrupts duels, leading most players to spam it out of frustration, meaning nobody has any fun. as far as i'm concerned, katas like the jumping staff kata, blue and purple crouch katas and etc, should all essentially be trash. because otherwise this type of thing happens where people just spam it to fuck.

5) ACM changes are horrible, i haven't seen ACM at all since patch. i'm told it exists still.

6) red and purple were already good before being patched. before patch, purple masters could give every style a run for their money. now, purple dominates. before, red masters could interrupt and bash their way into any situation. now they just 2hit their enemy.

7) were parries changed? AW SD / DW SA parries for staff seem to suck now, and becuase everyone is PBing it's honestly harder to use the staff parries.

there's so much i find offputting about this patch that that's probably not even half of it. i probably can't even put my finger on what's causing it to feel so different in this patch because there's so much odd stuff, and acting with similar strategies to the previous patch just gets you destroyed. most of the time you just have to sit and wait for your enemy to give you a PB and you can 1hit them.
I don't think you know anything about dueling if you say this kind of stuff