•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue My game has random network lag spikes

I don't believe it's actually my internet, it happens on 3 different internets and started happening a little while ago.

It seems like a packet (or a few) get dropped and it results in my game lagging for like 2 seconds, then resuming. It's very annoying because it automatically discharges ruptors/throws nades if i cook them after the lag spike. On the lag o meter, I'll notice a big chunk of yellow on top and a big chunk of green on the bottom. sometimes the bottom will just have a thin red line. It literally happens every 30-60 seconds.

Any ideas before I reinstall?

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Have you checked your internet options for optimization? I believe more backup packets corrects this with the downside of higher ping.

Are you on vista? I had the same problem because vista searches for another access point every minute which resulted in a lag spike every 60 seconds but I downloaded something called WLAN Optimizer which fixed it

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Also, ensure that you FPS is properly capped (com_maxfps - you DON'T want something like bazzilion frames per second in idtech engine. (especially, on 60 hz monitor, but thats different topic ;) )