Melee Changes

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
First off I love the new melee system and think it's super fun but I think it needs some improvement.

Probably coolest idea is Melee Wookiee grapple. I propose that instead of the normal grapple attacks like other classes do, they have a special one that instant kills the target by ripping both arms off. Yeah insta kill sounds a bit harsh, but to be honest, if that Wookiee has enough time to grapple you, he has enough time to punch you to death also. The grapple animation could be a kind of 2 handed lunge forward and if it connects the target gets both their arms torn off. There're always talks in the movies about Wookiees and severed arms.. I really want to see it! Could be only works in Rage.

This idea is just fluff because it would look hilariously awesome. Have the melee block timed counter work against an attacking saberist if he is within punch distance. How it would be is like a Sith runs at a Hero and is close enough their models are touching, he goes to swing and the Hero does the block button at the instant that swing would have hit. The Hero grabs the saber, or Sith's hand, and does like jab in their face. To avoid this next time the Sith uses the longer saber length to his advantage.

Now this one bugs me just because of inconsistency in what you see happen... Crouch stopping kicks... If you watch it, the foot hits the crouching guy right in the face. In the face! Yeah it does some damage but getting a foot in your face should not be good. So how about have crouch still stop knockdowns but do a stagger like the uppercut does with a bit of knockback. Next time they'll block with their fists instead of their face. Added effect of having melee fights less prairie dog-like. (Up, down, up, down, up, down)

I guess all of these are kind of fluff. I like the Wookiee thing the most. What do you think?

The wookiee idea is actually pretty good. If you really get to kata someone as a wookiee, especially in rage, they don't really have any chance to live at that point. Might as well add a stylish insta-kill move there to speed things up. The problem is, as usual, lack of animators...

Actually, I think you can already counter lightsaber swings with a timed melee block. I vaguely remember something like this. A dev or some melee guy can probably confirm this. The animation's the same though.

I'd like to see crouch being less of a win-button against kick. Especially when crouch is all you need to not give a shit about a wookiee barging at you, and you can just combo their ass. And due to the instant animation in going from standing to crouching position, it requires close to no timing at all.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Actually, I think you can already counter lightsaber swings with a timed melee block. I vaguely remember something like this. A dev or some melee guy can probably confirm this. The animation's the same though.
You know, to be honest, I never even actually tried. I just assumed the counter only worked for unarmed attacks since that's all block stops. Cue for dying over and over trying to stop sabers with my hands, haha.

i'd want it to be true so much

I think it exists. I may be mistaking it for all the times I've seen gunners pull instant katas or over the shoulder throw on saberists.

Any devs can confirm this?

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
I think it exists. I may be mistaking it for all the times I've seen gunners pull instant katas or over the shoulder throw on saberists.

If it is a feature (which I'm 99% certain it's not), it's not documented anywhere. Assuming it would work the same as a melee counter, you wouldn't see a full kata anim anyway, just a single punch kata. Over the shoulder throws only happen when you try to initiate a kata with an enemy behind you. Insta katas can happen without a melee counter anyway if you manage to attempt to initiate one right as the opponent's current animation ends (or at least that's what it feels like).

But I agree, saber melee counters would be a really awesome feature to have. Might need a requirement to aim for a pblock zone or something so it's not too easy to pull off.

Also not sure why no one's made a wook arm rip kata animation after all these years. If you actually manage to kill someone with a wook kata (which is horribly ineffective compared to just punching right now), both their arms are dismembered. Looks kind of silly without a proper animation. This wook just punches you in the stomach and your arms fall off. Wooks just need more unique melee moves in general.

Only other feature I think the melee system desperate needs is the ability to move while doing an uppercut. As it is right now, uppercuts are just a crappy short range version of kick that can stagger blocking people. Only decent use of uppercut I've found is as a mobile kick replacement during a hero dash or dex 3 roll.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I tried counter sabers with my hands. It was not very effective. I don't think it is implemented, either that or it is incredibly tough to do.

Preston

Nerd
lol I love uppercutting after an arc roll, but yea anything that adds to melee is always nice

It's an interesting concept. But I'm not sure how a kata would become superior to simply knocking someone down and punching them to death.

As to the first proposal of the wookie, this is a very bad idea regardless of if it can only happen in rage or not (although its not as bad in rage because everyone runs from a rage wook anyway) because you are giving a class a way to instantly kill another without any warning. This would have to look and be similar to the wookie barge and that is already hard enough to see coming, but it doesn't instantly kill you if you don't see it.

Melee countering a saber goes against the concept of the game. Being able to counter a light saber with your hands is a huge nerf to jedi/sith because you now allow every class a way to avoid getting slashed. Yes you say keep it in punch range but that also doesn't mean that I don't see someone trying to saber me and run right up into their face and force that issue.

There is already a counter to people crouching in the sweep kick.

counter lightsaber in melee....yeye.. ofc...great idea...
ARE U NUTS???
let's just give corto 3 to all gunner classes and the problem is solved.
no?

jesus, this is ur second thread where u complaining about jedi\sith (first one was about push QQ-ing). but in this thread u're suggesting to add this melee feature to heroes which is already hard to catch with this newest jumps. and after few last patches gunners with e-11 need like few shots in ur block to burn shit out all force points, dont u remeber that? or that force points also drains when jedi\sith taking damage? and sometines they need 20 fp for push, 20 for sense and now u're telling - let's introduce melee counters.
let's just take away saber and the force and keyboard from jedi-player - it will be fair in ur point of view i guess. balanced i might say.
oh. oh, i just remembered - they should add a vibrosword with RED style for every gunner...u know...to counter jedi\sith properly.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
As to the first proposal of the wookie, this is a very bad idea regardless of if it can only happen in rage or not (although its not as bad in rage because everyone runs from a rage wook anyway) because you are giving a class a way to instantly kill another without any warning. This would have to look and be similar to the wookie barge and that is already hard enough to see coming, but it doesn't instantly kill you if you don't see it.

Melee countering a saber goes against the concept of the game. Being able to counter a light saber with your hands is a huge nerf to jedi/sith because you now allow every class a way to avoid getting slashed. Yes you say keep it in punch range but that also doesn't mean that I don't see someone trying to saber me and run right up into their face and force that issue.

There is already a counter to people crouching in the sweep kick.

Yeah I know it's just so bland looking seeing a melee Wookiee do a regular grapple and often very unrewarding for the effort compared to just slap em down and punch. Coming up say behind someone and punching them 3 or 4 times is death for most classes, why not make it look cool with some literal arm tears? I mean say you activate Rage, run out and barge a guy down, now you can kill him in 1 or 2 more punches... or finish it off in style by ripping his arms off. It would just be a visual thing mostly. Straight up punching would be still be more effective.

As for the saber thing, was just thinking like in terms of real sword. Super up close is not the best range to use one because it can be easy to get countered. Besides, it would obviously be incredibly hard to pull off and if somebody bum rushes you with melee out you can simply kill them before they even get close enough. I mean it's really meh, just kinda adding to melee flair. Seeing some mando that ran out of ammo do a perfect block an attacking Jedi and punching him out would be pretty cool. One of those moments where everyone in the server goes OOOOOH! A super rare thing.

I know about the leg sweep. I said before what bothers me is how stupid the crouch looks because you just take a hit directly in the face.

useless spam
You should read and follow the posting rules and guidelines.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
u should l2p before creating goofy threads
Please keep posts like this out of this section. This is the only warning, next time I'll just delete the post.

This section exists for people to make suggestions, and post feedback on features in the game. In addition, nowhere did he outright complain "this is too hard, you should make it easier", so you telling him to learn to play provides literally nothing constructive to the thread. If you'd like to participate in this thread, provide constructive, and valid, criticism against his suggestions.

Eazy E

Banned
Make the block one where they grab the saber and jab only work against those who arent swingblocking and i would love this.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Make the block one where they grab the saber and jab only work against those who arent swingblocking and i would love this.
Yeah that makes total sense. Good idea. You know, it could even help those saberless Jedi/Sith in a pinch rather than only having to dodge attacks.

Would it be too much to request a disarm melee move?
Like I would totally jump kick jedi more if I could disarm them while they are on the ground.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
How does it go against the concept of the game? If you see a someone with melee out then you know that you have to be cautious. They can't shoot you with their fists. If it were hard to pull off or could be prevented by a swingblock then it would just be another fun move that punishes people for not paying attention, like repulse but for gunners and not as deadly.

It doesn't even have to be a move that damages/knocks down/staggers the saberist. Just the ability to block swings in melee would be interesting.

If it were hard to pull off or could be prevented by a swingblock then it would just be another fun move that punishes people for not paying attention
choosing to swingblock or not vs a gunner is already an important decision you make, adding this would just be weird

it'd have to be tied to something different, but im not sure what