Making grenadiers work

Everyone knows that the grenadier build on a Soldier is the most useless build out there, and that if it is ever going to be a thing something has to be done to make it work. I suggest that when you pick both Frag Grenade 1 and Concussion Grenade 2, you get a bonus Frag Grenade unlocked. It could be also shown in the skill point window, but it would be hidden before Frag 1 and Concussion 2 are picked. When they are picked it would be shown and look like this:
Screenshot_1.png

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I wish contact nades and corpse nades was a thing again. Had so much fun in b18 open mode and clan wars with that :)

If you choose to use a sub optimal build that's your choice. Build variety is for fun, not necessarily winning. That's why things like force sith/jedi are supported, but only played as a gimmick.

Nade sold is fine, really it creates carnage on the field. I wouldn't underestimate the power of a pistol 1 though either.

The one change I'd like to see for them is to allow them to get charge pistol. When close combat still had 2 ranks you could do 1 conc 1 frag 3 lives CQ 2 and pistol 2 which was very fun.

Last edited:
Nade sold is fine, really it creates carnage on the field. I wouldn't underestimate the power of a pistol 1 though either.
That carnage happens once in a round, and that's only if the perfect conditions are met. When they spend their nades they are useless for the rest of the round. Plus, they can't beat anyone in 1v1 and die from one or two blaster shots.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
We totally need more nadespam trolls on the server. It's so much fun for their teammates....
Exactly

And nades are actually quite terrifying if the guy throwing them knows how to do it. It is very hard to push nades that are thrown at an angle that goes high and moves forward slowly. Add a spam of those and you find yourself pushin em so much that some1 eventually shoots you. And pushing em may not always make them bounce to the way you want em to.

And nades are actually quite terrifying if the guy throwing them knows how to do it. It is very hard to push nades that are thrown at an angle that goes high and moves forward slowly. Add a spam of those and you find yourself pushin em so much that some1 eventually shoots you. And pushing em may not always make them bounce to the way you want em to.
Push isn't the only way to avoid grenades, and there isn't only one Jedi per a team (plus you get kills from pushed nades, and grenadier gets none). Guys, I really can't see where you're coming from. So now we've come to the conclusion that grenadiers are overpowered. I really can't believe this is happening.

Push isn't the only way to avoid grenades, and there isn't only one Jedi per a team (plus you get kills from pushed nades, and grenadier gets none). Guys, I really can't see where you're coming from. So now we've come to the conclusion that grenadiers are overpowered. I really can't believe this is happening.
Do you not play open servers? If there is more than 3-4 people with only grenade the whole server goes to shit cos grenades have such a huge impact.
The rounds get decided by who does the best pushes cos there is no way to avoid a nade in a chokepoint(and thats where you fight in every map)

Do you not play open servers? If there is more than 3-4 people with only grenade the whole server goes to shit cos grenades have such a huge impact.
The rounds get decided by who does the best pushes cos there is no way to avoid a nade in a chokepoint(and thats where you fight in every map)
You can always run away when you see grenadiers preparing to throw a nade or stay away from the choke point while the grenades are spent (of course if you want to snipe all the time and not fall back you get naded), or you can go side route. Those 3-4 people are then useless when they lose all nades and die like chickens. Plus, you know how hard it is to throw nades on the maps like DotF in main, where you must expose yourself to enemy snipers because your nades can't reach from one to the other end of the corridor. I've never seen grenades being such a huge problem, unless if playing Open on a small Duel map, where everyone spams nades around and you can't run away.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
but its a TeAeaeeeeaaaaeaaAeeEaaM gaem

If conc nades and secondary frag weren't so gimmicky, then I wouldn't care if Sold had 10 grenades, unless the sold is a billiards master with practice playing against an industrial grade fan then they really aren't that hard to avoid.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
@S o l d i e r
I guess you dont play a lot jedi. It is funny, many times jedi is the one in biggest danger with nades. Lets take gungan style - dude for an example. He does not throw the nade unless somebody is there. So what are you supposed to do, just run behind the corner everytime you see him? Yeah lets use 5 min of the round for that. Add 3 more nade thrower EACH 2 lives then thats a lot of nades to push. What if I dont push and jump around? Sometimes yeah I have to but it is not always and option or should I let the gunners die? Neither can I trust other jedi since many times they dont know what they are supposed to do.

Btw throwin nades in dotf main is one of the easiest things. Just throw em at a hard angle so when you push the ceiling bounces em somewhere else than they are supposed to be going. Add there random dodgin and takin cover and sniping em isnt the easiest thing to do (besides, didnt you just say you should run if you see a nademan but then you say they get sniped easily, kinda contradicting yourself there)

A full nade p1 sold is actually one of the builds I am quite comfortable playing. One on one versus, say, a jedi, the grenades prove very useful. Score some hits while they're on the ground and they're dead (a well timed concussion is very useful for this) and the grenades are also very helpful against gunners. I do not think this build is very underpowered, but timing is much more important than when playing a standard build.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
@S o l d i e r
I guess you dont play a lot jedi. It is funny, many times jedi is the one in biggest danger with nades. Lets take gungan style - dude for an example. He does not throw the nade unless somebody is there. So what are you supposed to do, just run behind the corner everytime you see him? Yeah lets use 5 min of the round for that. Add 3 more nade thrower EACH 2 lives then thats a lot of nades to push. What if I dont push and jump around? Sometimes yeah I have to but it is not always and option or should I let the gunners die? Neither can I trust other jedi since many times they dont know what they are supposed to do.

Btw throwin nades in dotf main is one of the easiest things. Just throw em at a hard angle so when you push the ceiling bounces em somewhere else than they are supposed to be going. Add there random dodgin and takin cover and sniping em isnt the easiest thing to do (besides, didnt you just say you should run if you see a nademan but then you say they get sniped easily, kinda contradicting yourself there)

Honestly, the thing that worries me most about grenade spam is the fact that you can't always keep them from landing on your teammates. As amusing as the situation can be, the TK points you inevitably accumulate are a pain in the neck by the time they start getting you killed.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
There are already fairly viable grenadier builds for ET that give you 4 grenades. I've been using it for years and while it's not always the easiest to use, it's still the best when it comes to becoming the only reason your team can breach through two chokes without heavy casualties.

I didn't say you should run when you see a grenadier, I said you should run when he is preparing to throw a nade. That means, when you hear that beeping sound the nade makes when he presses the button, or when you see him switching to a grenade in your vicinity. Why should you care if a grenadier is throwing a nade from far away? In those situations you can always run away. I'm not contradicting myself, when the grenadier is far away you can freely snipe him. They have to cover some ground in DotF main before they can be a threat to you so you can snipe them then. I don't know, I might just be good in dodging nades, it is usually my teammates that die and I survive when a nade is thrown, some other people might be worse at dodging them and it poses a problem to them. To dodge a nade you have to run the opposite of the direction the nade is going, but you also have to predict where it will move if there is some obstacle in its way and it bounces off. You can also run the same direction of the grenade if it is thrown at a safe distance and it won't reach you where you are heading. You also have to take into account any cover around you. A nade can't hit you if there is some obstacle between you and it, even if it detonates 10 cm from you. Any kind of box, small or big obstacle for cover helps. Another help can be the special traits of your class, like ARC lounge/Hero dash/Push/Speed/etc., that can get you out of the harm's way.

On the other hand, when throwing a grenade there are certain trickshots that can help you land it as you wish:
1. If the enemy is approaching you, you aim directly upwards above you, throw a nade at full velocity, and then run backwards away from the attacker. As the enemy approaches towards you chasing you, the grenade will land on them and detonate them. This is especially useful versus saberists, as they have to approach you in melee range and don't have much HP like Wookies, for example. This is also an excellent way to counter Push as a grenadier, as when you throw a nade so high up it will exit the saberists camera view and Push radius (unless they follow it with their camera), and they may think it has gone behind them. This works best when the ceiling isn't low as to bounce the grenade off before it has reached its peak.
2. When there is a surface behind the attacker that can bounce the grenade back towards you when you throw it, like a wall, for example, you can throw a nade to bounce off of it and to trick the enemy. This is useful when the enemy is approaching you, you throw a nade behind them at full speed and they think it's gone while they are coming towards you, but it bounces back off the wall you've thrown it at following them in their tracks behind their back and detonating them. You can make it even better if you throw it from behind some cover to make it more unpredictable and for it to have less chance to be Pushed. When you are at a corner between two corridors which are at 90 degrees, throwing it diagonally off some protruding wall segment where there is a 90 degrees angle will bounce it back towards you while you are hiding behind the cover in one of the corridors and the enemy is approaching from the other, having the same effect and detonating them. This can be used on portruding wall segments on DotF, for example.
3. Throw it where it will bounce back to the enemy when they Push it. As you said, when you throw it into DotF main ceiling it will bounce off the protruding arches back to the enemy when Pushed or towards another enemy. You can do this anywhere where there is an obstacle that can be found in the area between you and the enemy which can bounce the grenade back to them when they Push it. You have to throw it so that the grenade will be between the obstacle and the enemy when it is Pushed.
4. Throw it at the enemy so it bounces unpredictably. You can throw nades where it will bounce off of walls, ceiling, floor, and everywhere around multiple times as to confuse the enemy and make it harder for them to identify where the grenade exactly is, where it will go and where it will get Pushed when they Push it. Throwing it diagonally off of walls/ceiling into a corridor or a room like this can achieve this effect and it will bounce around. The one downside of this method is that it is also hard for you to know where the grenade will go.
5. Try to predict where an enemy will go and throw an unseen grenade in their way that will explode in the moment they come into its sight. This is useful when an enemy is chasing or approaching you too. You know that the enemy will go through a door and you can predict when (it's especially easy to predict if the enemy is going straight to you moving straight forward without turning around or stopping), so you throw a nade at the door where the enemy will pass, and it detonates in the moment the door opens and the unknowing-of-anything enemy is detonated. You can also throw a nade like this at a corner, at your side of the corner, for it to detonate when the enemy comes around that corner having the same effect, or throw it to detonate when it peeks behind a corner where you predict enemies will approach at that moment and not hear/see it until it's too late, like people do with Thermal Detonators in DotF main. The downside of this method is that it is very hard to predict exactly when the enemy will reach the point where your grenade will detonate, especially if you can't see them. It is basically a gamble, and you don't have many grenades.
6. You can throw a grenade directly into the enemy and it will bump into them and get stuck at their feet. This is then very hard to dodge/run away from (also because the grenade will suddenly and unpredictably change its speed to a halt) and they will get detonated.

The problem is that nades are very situational. You can't always land them as you wish and it is very hard to achieve, especially if the surrounding area isn't suited for that, like DotF hangar, for example; and also because you depend on whether or not the grenades will get Pushed and thus disabled. When you lose the nades you are completely useless if you are a grenadier. Some people then even kill themselves as to get grenades in their new life. You must also take into account that your nades can very easily kill your teammates, either when thrown unluckily, when an ally walks into them or when they get Pushed by an enemy or an ally. Plus, there is that thing that you don't get anything, no kill or assist, if someone Pushes your grenade and that the enemies can use your grenades to get kills with Push.

Last edited:
@Soldier
1. So how does giving 1 more frag nade solve your problems with nading?
2. ETs already can have 2 frag nades, does that make them good/useful in your eyes?
-Here I would mention that it wouldn't be fair that soldiers can get more frag nades than ETs (I mean overall, not per life, 2x3 vs 2x2). Furthermore conc nades are superior to sonic and fire, actually fire can be good, but conc >sonic for sure.

Anyway I love playing both nadesoldier and nadeet (that's why I bother to argue with you) so I'm happy if I get 1 more frag lol, but I can live without it. Who knows what's the "balanced" amount of nades you should get? Nobody. It's a similiar problem to balancing the amount of ammo for any weapons. With low population less ammo is enough and if you're fighting through a 16v16 to the end then even lvl 3 ammo isn't enough. In a 6v6 you can easily get to nade* all 6 of them whereas in a 16v16 you most likely won't nade* all 16 of them, your nades will bother 1-8 people the rest of the team won't meet with your nades.
*Note: by nading I don't necessarily mean you sucessfully killing them with a nade, just simply giving them the trouble of trying to avoid it
On the other hand, when throwing a grenade there are certain trickshots that can help you land it as you wish....[rant]
I don't understand why you wrote this here, this makes the thread look like some kind of nading guide and you're just prooving the usefulness of grenading when you claimed in your original post that they're useless.
When you lose the nades you are completely useless if you are a grenadier.
I strongly disagree with that. The power of p1 shouldn't be underestimated. 3 headshots can kill hero/bh/mando/ARC, 5 or 6 is enough to kill a 400 hp wook. Whenever I have a better score as nader is cause I'm landing the pistol shots like a beast. Nades just won't give you that much kills, but they certainly assist your pistol work and your teammates' blasters/snipers.

But as I said before, just go on, convince everyone to add more nades for soldiers, I'll enjoy it if it happens. However I don't see how adding more nades solves the general problems of nading and how that will make nadesoldier more useful. Certainly you'll be able to put more pressure, deal more damage in some situations or you have an extra nade for 1 more situation, but that's it, just like how 2 frag nades work with ET.

This will be slightly derailing, but it's related to nading. The only bullshit thing about nading right now is that jedi are so tanky, they can stand on a frag nade and survive it if they block. I'm fairly positive that in every nading session I've had since 1.4 I'm losing around 10 kills, simply because jedi are surviving nades which they didn't use to in previous builds (but we have flinch so it's fine I guess). Now that is something that should be changed in my opinion, jedi have the easiest way to avoid nades with push and jump, so they should be punished severly for failing at it.

The sight of a newb jedi getting blown up in the face and then running forward like nothing happened gives you the impression of watching an episode of wile e coyote and the road runner. The problem isn't with newbs naturally, but against good jedi. A regular mb2 player with jedi in this build will take 28-50 dmg from primary frag nades usually when hit by it, 70-80 if you really fucked up. I base off these values from my experience as jedi/sith. Even if you're caught off guard by a nade and you start jumping out in the last second, it's enough to reduce the dmg to 28 (don't forget to block), which is a really poor damage from a grenade, getting hit once by an e-11 can be more devastating than that. Now of course you're getting knocked down, so there could be follow up damage, but since you got blown while you were jumping, you can recover with quickrise in the air and 95% of the time won't get hit by anything. But of course if you jump early enough, you can pull it off without taking any damage easily. Ok I guess that's enough to make my point, and I know most of the people won't care, and just use secondary nades on jedi, but I always loved the challenge to blow up jedi with primary frag nade in this game, and given the difficulty of the task, it should be more rewarding.

@Soldier
1. So how does giving 1 more frag nade solve your problems with nading?
2. ETs already can have 2 frag nades, does that make them good/useful in your eyes?
-Here I would mention that it wouldn't be fair that soldiers can get more frag nades than ETs (I mean overall, not per life, 2x3 vs 2x2). Furthermore conc nades are superior to sonic and fire, actually fire can be good, but conc >sonic for sure.
1. It gives you one more chance. 2. Yes, Frag nades are the best, plus if they only choose 2 Frags they still have many spare points if they don't choose Fire nades. Also, they are better with pistols as they have the movement and get up speed. 3. ETs can get 2 Frag nades with additional stuff, Soldiers must sacrifise everything for 2 Frag nades, for a pure grenadier build. The grenades on an ET can serve more as a complement, while the Soldier gets the real "grenadier" build. ETs still have movement and get up speed and Soldiers don't.
I don't understand why you wrote this here, this makes the thread look like some kind of nading guide and you're just prooving the usefulness of grenading when you claimed in your original post that they're useless.
I wrote that there because people keep telling me how to throw nades as if I don't know anything about that, and didn't take into account that you can throw nades smartly when I was making this thread. I also wrote it as a guide, who wants to read. It also proves as argumentation to how situational grenades are. I didn't claim grenades are useless, but the number of them you get is useless, the grenadier build is underpowered, you get only 1 Frag to make it right and 2 Concs as a bonus, and Concs aren't good for killing by themselves (unless the enemy is low HP), only for knocking down.
I strongly disagree with that. The power of p1 shouldn't be underestimated. 3 headshots can kill hero/bh/mando/ARC, 5 or 6 is enough to kill a 400 hp wook. Whenever I have a better score as nader is cause I'm landing the pistol shots like a beast. Nades just won't give you that much kills, but they certainly assist your pistol work and your teammates' blasters/snipers.
3 headshots in a row aren't easy to achieve, especially if it's a slow-firing weapon like a pistol. Plus, they will probably kill you before you deal any damage to them, as you have only 50 hp 0 armor and die from 1-2 shots with any weapon.
But as I said before, just go on, convince everyone to add more nades for soldiers, I'll enjoy it if it happens. However I don't see how adding more nades solves the general problems of nading and how that will make nadesoldier more useful. Certainly you'll be able to put more pressure, deal more damage in some situations or you have an extra nade for 1 more situation, but that's it, just like how 2 frag nades work with ET.
One more chance to get it right with a nade would really improve the grenadier experience. Plus, what's the point of the pure "grenadier" build without any additional stuff if you only get 3 nades. Grenades are more useful if you also have E-11, so without it (or without Reinforcements 2, because you must either sacrifise E-11 or Reinforcements to get all nades) you should get a compensation in the form of one more nade.