•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Hosting Server Lowering server ping?

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
So recently as some of you may have seen, the FTG server has been running for a while however, there are lots of people who are getting terrible ping! It's not everyone but it's a lot and they are all in the US. The servers are currently hosted in LA, but I am moving them to Dallas. The tick rate I have in the server.cfg file is 40fps. Will that effect anything?

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
Yeah. I just moved the server to Dallas. Hoping that will increase ping for everyone else. Besides, I get 97 ping when it's hosted in TX, so It's not that bad for myself.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Is a middle ground possible between locating the server in the US and EU? So both, Europe and United States players would be getting pings around 100?

Maybe Iceland or Morocco... You should have a unique server featuring something new.
Currenty I can join servers with 2 types of pings for me, playable servers that is it would be 60 - 120 or 170-220 (EU and US). I would not mind playing with a ping a little over hundred. Almost two hundred is too much and can considerably kill your fun.

Stage a spot between, for everyone!

Last edited:

Subaru

Not a car!
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Raising tickrate might have a tiny effect on ping (due to packet handling happening more often, dependant on how Q3 networking arch is setup), but it's dominated by distance to the server. Also, there's a cap on how fast you can run your server, iirc.

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
Is a middle ground possible between locating the server in the US and EU? So both, Europe and United States players would be getting pings around 100?

Maybe Iceland or Morocco... You should have a unique server featuring something new.
Currenty I can join servers with 2 types of pings for me, playable servers that is it would be 60 - 120 or 170-220 (EU and US). I would not mind playing with a ping a little over hundred. Almost two hundred is too much and can considerably kill your fun.

Stage a spot between, for everyone!
I don't know where you are located, but if your ping is okay on AOD servers, mine is hosted in the same place which is Dallas, Texas.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Put a server on a boat and ship it out to the middle of the Atlantic. It's genius. EU vs NA rivalries can be settled once and for all if both sides pitch in to build a server and internet infrastructure in the middle of the ocean.

How about setting up 2+ servers in different locations under single ip adress? We would need a script so it would connect the player to a closer one. Slots would be divided 50/50 or so, but the game lobby would be one.

We have 4 main locations in Movie Battles: Europe, United States, Asia and Australia. If we could buy 4 servers 8 slots each then merge them with scripting under one ip all of the people could play on pretty much same latency (it must be impossible, what a dream haha.)

The pros would be we only need one server like this. Con, we might not always get 8 Australians so some Russians and Asians would get to play with slightly worse connection. I think slots could be adjusted to current need.

Last edited: