Lightsaber Sound Overhaul

As I've played this mod, I've grown to notice that the lightsaber sound design is really awful. This mod appears to be trying to be as close to the films as possible. However the lightsaber combat just doesn't sound authentic at all. It's either sounds taken from the Phantom Menace duel or the first part of the Attack of the Clones duel (or even just other SW games). On top of that, you have things like inconsistent volume, distortion, random cutoffs, and background noise.

I've begun work on an overhaul for this game's lightsaber sound effects. I started the project last night and so far the duels in-game sound much closer to the films (i.e. more recent Star Wars projects, like the prequels, The Clone Wars, The Force Awakens, etc). I did this by isolating commonly used clashing and swinging sounds from the listed projects, and then replacing the MBHilts.pk3 sound files appropriately. I also fixed Kylo Ren's saber, which, beyond the ignition and retractions sounds, didn't involve any sound files from the films whatsoever.

DL:
MBHilts.pk3

Let me know what you guys think. If you like it, I'll continue to do the original trilogy saber sounds and the blaster sounds.

Word of note: you guys can definitely use this. Why else would I put it up for DL?
Just don't take credit for isolating the sounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
Hey! I took a look at it and it's really good, good work. I was actually thinking about adding some of these to some hilts in my pack, but that's as long as I have your permission.

May I use some of your sounds? You'll be credited of course. If not that's ok!

Last edited:

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This sounds pretty good for something you just started making. One thing you may want to look out for is to make the saberblock sounds rather distinct from the saberbodyhit sounds, because these are used in two different situations gameplay-wise (and it's nice/helps one's play to be able to tell whether a perfect block or a bodyhit occurred).

I think in particular our current bodyhit sounds are pretty bad/not movie-like at all, while the block sounds are okay. The sounds you used for the replacement also seem to be rather high-pitched which is good but might want to throw in a few lower-pitched ones (like the current block sounds are), but that's just imo. Nice job.

This sounds pretty good for something you just started making. One thing you may want to look out for is to make the saberblock sounds rather distinct from the saberbodyhit sounds, because these are used in two different situations gameplay-wise (and it's nice/helps one's play to be able to tell whether a perfect block or a bodyhit occurred)./QUOTE]

Good point. So a bodyhit would be a more heavy sound, correct? Like, less of a "tshhh" and more of a "KHHHHHHH"?

Also can you tell me which .pk3 file the voice files are in?

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
It should be. I'll make some tests later this week, and since I got his permission, i'll add some sounds here and there for some hilts.

Plasma

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I've already fixed the Kylo Ren/TFA saber sounds for next version (got them from the new LEGO game), the reason the Kylo Ren swing sounds weren't accurate to the movie is because I got them from Disney Infinity which at the time was the only place I could get anything from.

I've just tried them, and they are awesome! Awesome job, they sound like from the movies.

Hey, I'm loving the work here. My only question is, for the next version, would it be possible to modify Luke's ROTJ hilt so that it plays the "correct" ignition/retraction sounds from the movie? I tried editing the PK3 file myself, but the changes don't seem to stick. If you want, I have the sounds as .wav files that I can send for you to use.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I really love this. And I mean it I really really do.