Labeling Model map parts

So I posted a question in the shoutbox if anyone from the art part of the team could assist me because I have some questions.
Ben told me to check the mod part and I figured to make a thread on it.

So I attempted to make a skin on this.
http://a.pomf.hummingbird.moe/crexph.png

Here is the result.
http://a.pomf.hummingbird.moe/sdxdmk.jpg
It is a complete mess and looks like crap.

Reson why it does, because I could not figure out what part of the armor was what.
I could not figure out what part is the legs, boots, belts. I was able to figure out the chest and back and shoulder but that's it.
I was also able to figure out the helmet mostly, and I put emphasis on mostly.
What I should of done is look at the clone trooper models, because one of them has a identical skin to what I am making.

Basically what im saying is, could we have a template of a model map with each part labeled.
So if I were to mod or replace anything, we would replace the correct parts.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Basically what im saying is, could we have a template of a model map with each part labeled.
So if I were to mod or replace anything, we would replace the correct parts.

Each model is different, and that would be a lot of work for hundreds of player models throughout Open and FA when things weren't standardized. Photoshop Extended edition allows you to load models in 3d (you can convert GLMs to obj useable format using Noesis I believe) which you can then paint directly on the model without having to worry about where things are on the UV. Other things like Quixel Suite allow it as well.

If neither of those are suitable, most maps are laid out in "islands" where you can see groups of parts, so you can simply paint a dot on each of the parts and then reload the mesh/texture refresh in modview to see where those dots end up being.

I am just asking for like one model map with parts labeled, not the the entire library.
If I have a point of reference it will make it easier for me to learn, and I can figure stuff out on my own if there is just like one cookie cutter temple to look at.

A storm trooper model map seems like the most basic of places to start because models where its just armor is kinda confusing. What I used is paint.net recoloring tool to add the red, because the skin is just a ST with red paint on certain parts. Its the easiest skin I could make to dip my toes.

Edit: I downloaded mod view. All of the MB2 models are white, none of the textures are loading. I checked to see if I didn't set the folders up correctly by inserting a vanila model from JKA. It loads the textures no problem on the vanilla model.

Desktop\base\models\players\_humanoid
Desktop\base\models\players\stormie

jizxkt.png

The top one is the vanilla stormie, the bottom is the mb2 stormie.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
cc18848e4b722b9cb73aa6fcf09add77.png

The MB2 stormie loads fine. You're missing files. Go into MBAssets3 and grab both the stormtroopers.shader from the shaders folder, and the .skin files from the models/players/stormie folder.

A lot of the models we have were donated by the community or we had asked for permission to use it within MB. We don't have the source for a lot of it just hanging around.

Since I didn't have time to export the model, the best way to go about it for this and future models is this:
df16ef30b701e0c74712cf0ee19824e0.png

I just opened the texture and painted random colors on it in areas that looked important, and now I know what each of the sections are after I hit the refresh texture button at the top (Tex with a loop icon). The areas I didn't mark are obvious ones in the texture (Chest/Stomach/Back) so I didn't need to figure out what those were.