•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] JAMP and OpenJK crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
When trying to host a server under Windows, MBII just crashes. The log doesn't tell much.
VM_Create: jampgamex86.dll failed!
VM_CreateLegacy: jampgamex86.dll succeeded
Fresh install of the version 1.3.1 found on ModHub.
Connecting works fine.

try making/editing a batch file in the same directory as jamp.exe with "jamp.exe +set sv_pure 0 +set fs_game MBII +set dedicated 2" you can replace the jamp.exe name with openjkded.x86.exe, assuming that is the correct name of the openjk executable, might be good to add "+set g_gametype 7 +set map mb2_dotf" to the commandline, if that doesnt work then you might need to make sure that the executable is running as an administrator, should be properties -> compatibility. If all still doesnt work then you might have downloaded a corrupted version of mb (happens sometimes), computers fucked, or you could be trying to run the openjk client, OpenJK does not support running a dedicated server on the client, or something else unforseeable. But in all liklyhood you propably just fucked and doomed to never host an mb server LOL

https://builds.openjk.org/
its probably the ded client thing i mentioned, cause i dont think mbii distributes the openjk ded client, in which case the link may help. I am not sure if mb2 has their client of openjk optimized or edited to handle mb2, in either case, test it for me and let me know.

its probably the ded client thing i mentioned, cause i dont think mbii distributes the openjk ded client, in which case the link may help. I am not sure if mb2 has their client of openjk optimized or edited to handle mb2, in either case, test it for me and let me know.
Thank you, I tried what you suggested, still no progress. It also doesn't work on another PC, so I doubt that's the problem. I will retry with your suggestion and the original DED server.

I have built their modded OpenJK from MKII/OpenJK on github. It starts, but I can join, it says the reason would be a version mismatch. (I also tried to run the version the client version of the modded OJK, but no chance, also anyone else probably would be unable to connect.)

EDIT:
Ok, I've retried it with the original JAMPDED binary. This time it worked. Still wondering why it didn't work with the original JAMP.EXE though.

Last edited:
Could be several reason, including the ones i mentioned above, but I know that the jamp.exe runs its game with a built in ui, that silver borded inner blackbox with yellow or blue text, I know that has hindered some servers from running correctly, maybe if you start it though command line it may work, not sure. It could be not setting the port or ip. set net_ip set net_port, but if i recall correctly thats usually only needed on linux. It could be steam thing, if your original client downloaded from steam, it may be different then one from the CD. As for the version mismatch on openjk it could be an issue in bg_public.h where GAME_VERSION is not set to to match the current game version in mb it might be what you see in the "Game name" server field which i think is "Movie Battles II V1.3". Try maybe recompiling with that change to GAME_VERSION in bg_public. It could be a million reasons without details, just giving you possibilities, glad youre where able to host though.

why is this not standard dos prompt... thing...

Attachments

• whynotbedos.jpg
    whynotbedos.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 270

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I have built their modded OpenJK from MKII/OpenJK on github. It starts, but I can join, it says the reason would be a version mismatch.
This is due to fact that https://github.com/MBII/OpenJK content is actually broken (By MBII team not OpenJK team, to make things clear) - namely, the file:
/codemp/game/bg_public.h

...should contain:
Code:
#define   GAME_VERSION     "Movie Battles II V1.3"

...instead of:
Code:
#define   GAME_VERSION     "basejka-1"

...in line 19 of said file.

After fixing it and compiling, you will be able to join servers without problems - but, gameplay WON'T work as it should, cause MBII's OpenJK build is screwed somewhere else - see:
https://community.moviebattles.org/...-doesnt-produce-valid-openjkded-binaries.196/

...for more details.

/Cat Lady

Last edited:

ent

Movie Battles II Team
This is due to fact that https://github.com/MBII/OpenJK content is actually broken (By MBII team not OpenJK team, to make things clear) - namely, the file:
/codemp/game/bg_public.h

...should contain:
Code:
#define   GAME_VERSION     "Movie Battles II V1.3"

...instead of:
Code:
#define   GAME_VERSION     "basejka-1"

...in line 19 of said file.

After fixing it and compiling, you will be able to join servers without problems - but, gameplay WON'T work as it should, cause MBII's OpenJK build is screwed somewhere else - see:
https://community.moviebattles.org/...-doesnt-produce-valid-openjkded-binaries.196/

...for more details.

/Cat Lady
Wrong. MBII uses their own mod code. And bg_public.h file is not used in the engine. The repository you gave is only used for the engine.
This explanation is unrelated.

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Wrong - as I stated here and and linked thread, changing the bg_public.h content actually makes it rid of the incompatibility error and allow to connect (with other problems while on map, but thats different matter).

One can't just grab the code from repository and compile even the client alone (on same architecture, as files provided in MB2.zip release), drop it as replacement for provided binary, and play. Change to bg_public.h is *necessary* before compiling - and even this alone mean that things in repository are wrong.

I hope that I'm also right about other things from linked thread, cause releasing required files would be good for Community and MB2 (gain/gain situation), but that is yet to be seen, and off-topic here.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
The repository above was forked to use the engine code only that does not use bg_public.h and other mod code at all. The MBII mod is based on the mod code only (from JKA SDK) that is not open source at all. The repository you are linking here is only used for the custom engine purposes with hardcoded master server and maybe something else. You are not able to build MBII mod from that repository at all. You can only build base mod + the custom MBII engine.

I am completely not wrong. Worked with it over 3 years.

Little correction: GAME_VERSION is not used in the engine at all. I only meant the main stuff that is declared in bg_public.h is only used in the mod code.

Status
Not open for further replies.