•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Is multicore cpu optimization still a thing?

Shalak Que

US Official Server Admin
So I'm trying to make mb2 run a little smoother and I saw where it said the old website had an optimization thread for multicore cpu users since jka is old and doesn't respond well to them. I was wondering if you put that thread on the new website or post it here. If not got any tips? Thanks c:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Originally posted by @ent, V1.3.2 Halloween Update Released!:

The game is single threaded and always was/is/will be. Not sure how you got FPS drops but if affinity is set to 1 then the CPU/OS won't bother with switching threads for the game process (that caused actual FPS drops), and run everything just on the 1st one - that will boost FPS much.

I can only guess you had something other running that used much power of the 1st thread. Try to switch to use 2nd, 3rd, forth.. (com_affinity 2/4/8) thread.

==================

Originally posted by @SeV, Game Performance&Hardware:

It's a matter of your CPU performance, not really the graphics card. I found that I get better performance with com_affinity 1, but then that may just be me. Perhaps you can unpark your cores and pop affinity to test if that helps you? The only other option would be to make your CPU more powerful Ghz wise not core-number wise, so either a tweak or buy a new and powerful CPU.

Afaik there aren't many tweaks to be performed since it's a shitty old engine. I know that things like dynamic glow and dynamic lighting can suck FPS out. Also, the more ppl there are the lower the FPS. Also viewdistance wise. FPS also depends on the map. Jedi Academy and MBII in particular are strange about this. I can run games like the Witcher 3 no problem, then sometimes MBII will have a lower FPS than I get in a modern game like Witcher 3, simply because there are many ppl in one place fighting (like dotf hangar on a duel server with 16 ppl, fps can get atrocious).

==================

Originally posted by @ent, Bad performance:

Set to 1.
Each time you restart the game process it resets the core affinity, so you have to always set it manually via the task manager.
Just use the cvar and the game will do that for you.

Reactions: ent