Imp vs. Reb Variety

So this has been on my mind for a really long time and would appreciate other people's thoughts on this.

I think there's a lack of variety in gameplay on the Imp side when compared to Rebs, and this makes me always prefer Rebs when playing. Their classes are more diverse and creative so when I go from a clone trooper to a wookie, for example, the gameplay feels very unique. The clone trooper has blobs and arcs can either snipe, go pulse, or just rockets. Wookies introduce completely new gameplay where you can just melee people to death.

In comparison to that, most of the Imp classes seem very mundane and boring. The SBD class, while it's very tough, literally does nothing other than point and click. It's the same with the Deka, just run around, point and shoot, the only difference is hp or movement speed (to grossly generalize). Soldier, ET, SBD and Droideka essentially feel like the same class to me. And the most creative (or fun) class being the Mando -- simply because of how different it works in comparison to the others.

Why not just introduce or amend classes with simple mechanics such as a deployable temporary shield for ETs that can prevent allies from taking damage, or a hook to catch extremely mobile enemies (aka heroes). Or just another melee class on the imp side. Just be creative.

These are all, of course, just my opinions and you a free to disagree with me. Just chiming in my two cents.

Well what do you expect deka and sbd to do then?
Mando is fun to play sometimes flying around etc, but they are quite unbalanced, their sniper is the most retarded feature, thats why I prefer playing sith.
Also FA (Full Authentic) has things you mentioned like deployable shields and turrets, maybe you play this, I doubt devs add these things in open and FA need more people so join in if you see one.

Well, what's balanced and what's imbalanced comes down to skill level more than anything. If played right, even a soldier can feel imbalanced, so to speak. This dev team does a great job of balancing overall IMO. There's a counter to almost every class in MBII (For example, pulse grenade is the bane of all SBDs and Dekas). However, my concern is not about how overpowered or underpowered a class is, it's about the feel of the class. And that's the point I was trying to make with the original post -- that Imp classes, in general, feel very monotonous.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
SBD has a planned revamp in the future. Other things took priority so we haven't been able to get it out yet. Expect to see some changes in the future though.

Some people would say however, that Rebels are actually at a disadvantage due to the fact that they're not designed to be mostly, if not purely offensive, like Imperials are. Lightning, poison darts and etc are much more offensive and easier to use than something like Mind trick or pulse nades.

I will agree, that I do enjoy playing rebels most of the time, because for me they have the most fun classes to play as

Reactions: SK5
SBD has a planned revamp in the future. Other things took priority so we haven't been able to get it out yet. Expect to see some changes in the future though.
Thank you for the amazing news, you literally made my day! And thank you personally for the amazing maps you make!

Some people would say however, that Rebels are actually at a disadvantage due to the fact that they're not designed to be mostly, if not purely offensive, like Imperials are. Lightning, poison darts and etc are much more offensive and easier to use than something like Mind trick or pulse nades.

I will agree, that I do enjoy playing rebels most of the time, because for me they have the most fun classes to play as
I think you are speaking mostly from the perspective of a Jedi/Sith, and I respectfully disagree. For example: A clone trooper with blobs (if you can land them) can be much more offensive than a BH.

Last edited:
I would definitely like to see some more unique abilities for ET's besides just being buffed soldiers. Deployable shields for ET's sounds like an interesting idea.

I think you are speaking mostly from the perspective of a Jedi/Sith, and I respectfully disagree. For example: A clone trooper with blobs (if you can land them) can be much more offensive than a BH.

Actually, Im saying that from a perspective of a Rebels ET Main. I'm not saying that I myself consider rebels to be at a disadvantage. Compare Fire Grenades to Sonic Detonators. One is based on just dealing damage while the other paralyses enemy attack options. So which is more effective? Sonic Detonator

Rebels are simply a trickier class to play since their whole shtick is 'outsmarting' their enemies, unlike Imps which is just 'outdamaging' everyone.
I would definitely like to see some more unique abilities for ET's besides just being buffed soldiers. Deployable shields for ET's sounds like an interesting idea.
I've wanted to suggest giving ETs and Commanders the option of being able to spot enemies for their team. For example, when a Commandor would spot an enemy, it would appear on everyones minimap until the Com would lose line of sight with the enemy.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Compare Fire Grenades to Sonic Detonators. One is based on just dealing damage while the other paralyses enemy attack options.
Eh, I think of Fire Grenades as being something you place behind the enemy to paralyze their retreat options.

Or something to stall one path temporarily to give you time to pull a flank or something.

Eh, I think of Fire Grenades as being something you place behind the enemy to paralyze their retreat options.

Or something to stall one path temporarily to give you time to pull a flank or something.
Fire nades overall function is that it can basically block certain spots/corridors/choke points. Throwing one behind enemy lines to block off any escape routes is just a tactic/strategy that can be done. It isn't it's primary function

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
My general point was just that it's a position/control tool more than a damage tool.

Although I have no idea either way which grenade (fire or frag) does more damage (assuming the target rolls asap)

As someone who mostly plays Commander/ET, Fire grenades are honestly almost useless with how much they cost. For the price of 15 points you can either get a frag grenade that's incredibly solid and can be used in nearly any situation and allow you to pick up kills you never would have been able to, or you can get a fire grenade that won't kill someone even if you detonate a grenade right on top of a guy and have him sit in the fire for a long while. They need to cost like 5 points max because of just how little they do in the average round because even if you're using them to deny the enemy team from moving through a point which seems to be one of their intended uses you're still spending 15 points on essentially a damage barrier that doesn't have a lot of kill potential and are better off spending them on essentially anything else. I think I've killed like 2 people with fire grenades ever and that was because it detonated on top of a Sith and a Jedi and they refused to get out of the fire and just kept on dueling while they burned to death.

Sonic grenades aren't great either. I've never died to them once or seen someone pick up a kill as a result of sonic grenades so they're a little weak, but talking purely about their design I feel like they have a lot of potential but need some buffs. The idea of disruption grenades or being able to place them as mines to fuck up people trying to flank you is a really really cool idea but sonic grenades need to do a good amount of damage or prevent jumping/slow the target when they detonate or something because they're too low-impact for what they do right now.

Another problem with Commanders and in a more minor way, ETs, is that you can't viably just go full on grenades. Soldiers can carry more grenades through their 3 lives coming out to 9 in total than commanders can while commanders literally can't afford to have reinforcement and 4 grenades. Going full grenade, their loadout ends up being a level 2 e-11, level 1 ammo, level 1 armor, 4 grenades and no respawn, so it's complete shit.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
you definitely can rock ET/Comm with E11-1, 2 Frags, and Armor and ammo and Dodge

you definitely can rock ET/Comm with E11-1, 2 Frags, and Armor and ammo and Dodge

I mean in theory yeah but you won't have respawn and Commander is just not durable enough even with armor level 3 to be a viable class without respawns. Compared to clone which if it gives up respawn can take a gun that literally can't be used otherwise, it's a bit underwhelming as a commander to give one up and just have two grenades.

rebels are meant to be fast because they are attackers

imps are meant to be slower and more defensive which is why most of their classes are slower and have much more hp/tanking ability. they also have things like firenades, additional snipers and the thermal detonator which are exclusive to imp. same goes with mando it just has enough speed to actually offend

this split works but it means imp bores me unless i want to do something dumb like roleplay as a really fat guy trying to order a burger at the death star control panel. i'm still waiting for the enforcer class which is supposed to be things like magnaguards w/ dex3 and shit.

rebels are meant to be fast because they are attackers

imps are meant to be slower and more defensive which is why most of their classes are slower and have much more hp/tanking ability. they also have things like firenades, additional snipers and the thermal detonator which are exclusive to imp. same goes with mando it just has enough speed to actually offend

this split works but it means imp bores me unless i want to do something dumb like roleplay as a really fat guy trying to order a burger at the death star control panel. i'm still waiting for the enforcer class which is supposed to be things like magnaguards w/ dex3 and shit.
Rebels and Imps arent set as attacking and defending teams. Every map has them on different sides and some even makes them both attacking and defending.

Duckshark

Internal Beta Team
i'm still waiting for the enforcer class which is supposed to be things like magnaguards w/ dex3 and shit. SpeedDemosArch said:
This and mobile assassin droids would be the shit.