I see Movie Battles II as a lot more competitive and skill based than CS:GO or most any other game

Is this idea good? (Don't think about the scripting/Getting it to work yet)

• Absolutely!

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Eh, I guess. Not sure

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Uhhhh, no.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
If the Dev team gave ever to recruit new members or perhaps show people how to do things, perhaps we could still yet have Movie Battles flame last longer. Stoke the fire.

The game is so fun, because if you are good at this game, you usually are good at this game. It is no button masher, and it seems to have more combos than some Mortal Combat like games.

If we added unlock-able items or things that players could get to look or feel "Better" than other players based on how good they were or amount of things they did. I got this idea looking at games of the modern era. They like customization. ESPECIALLY those that you unlock that others don't have. Maybe some of them are rare?

Have a universal rank system in MB2 based on KILLS/EXP that could be scripted and managed by a save system that works. (Perhaps website storage)

Then have things like 6 new Player Models for each side that can be unlocked depending on achievements or KILLS/EXP.
And perhaps have a few edited gun models and or saber hilts. Perhaps make a super rare Black and or White sabers. White for Light side unlock, Black for Dark side unlock.

Just some ideas, I think this would only work for certain game modes.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I kinda like the idea of rewarding people with something after awhile. Maybe a prestige system would be better than unlocking skins etc?

How about you gain ranks for each class as you play them, and maybe duel mode seperately and get badges or rank ups. Leveling up a class could potentially unlock something, a new skin/hilt as you said, or it could be just for e-peen. In any case it's not a bad idea but I wouldn't think it high on the list of priorities.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Yeah KD ratio would be a stupid way to do it. I imagine it would be best to get some small xp reward for a kill, and a larger xp reward for doing the objective (Or being near an objective). That way, we could reward objectives more than xp and encourage ppl to play objs and not the hide and seek K/D style that's so often utilized to 'pro' players to get an ego score.

It could work similarly to achievements, or it could be a server by server basis, since we don't have alot of servers. It might be okay to hide some skins/hilts behind this xp level thing as long as it's permanent and not something you have to grind every time you join. It reminds me of the old semi-FA where you started with fewer points and earned more as you played on the server. It felt kind of cool to 'earn' a forcepower like speed or lightning, so maybe we can bring back that feeling a little bit with xp gains and skin unlocks or smth. I dunno :)

On dueling servers the black/white saber thing might work, since all people are neutral and can fight eachother. But I imagine it would get old quickly when everyone is using black or white lightsabers. It would also mean that the black lightsaber would need an outline of light around it to prevent ppl from using shadows to their advantage on shadowy maps, not that ppl play anything but duel_dotf.

Preston

Nerd
Yeah KD ratio would be a stupid way to do it. I imagine it would be best to get some small xp reward for a kill, and a larger xp reward for doing the objective (Or being near an objective). That way, we could reward objectives more than xp and encourage ppl to play objs and not the hide and seek K/D style that's so often utilized to 'pro' players to get an ego score.

It could work similarly to achievements, or it could be a server by server basis, since we don't have alot of servers. It might be okay to hide some skins/hilts behind this xp level thing as long as it's permanent and not something you have to grind every time you join. It reminds me of the old semi-FA where you started with fewer points and earned more as you played on the server. It felt kind of cool to 'earn' a forcepower like speed or lightning, so maybe we can bring back that feeling a little bit with xp gains and skin unlocks or smth. I dunno :)

On dueling servers the black/white saber thing might work, since all people are neutral and can fight eachother. But I imagine it would get old quickly when everyone is using black or white lightsabers. It would also mean that the black lightsaber would need an outline of light around it to prevent ppl from using shadows to their advantage on shadowy maps, not that ppl play anything but duel_dotf.
Yea I agree, but I would love to have a black saber... I don't care if its logical or not I want it

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This is hard to do without being able to implement unique trackers. People would just end playing like surf or afk servers in TF2 to unlock things.

With this amount of randomness? I'm a competetive gamer myself (Global in CSGO) and I guess the sabering has potential to be competetive if it's ever done right, but Open can suck my dick. Unless... 128tick hype?

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
lol hlev. Agree though. Open is not what I'd term competitive compared to CSGO. PuGs and clan wars used to be quite common, but not anymore.

Also new global in csgo is so noobified it doesn't really have much meaning anymore. MM in general doesn't, but it's still more 'competitive' that MBII open because of matchmaking 5v5s. That stuff hasn't been a staple part of MBII for years (an active competitive scene). It would be better to compare CSGO pub play with MBII open, then there'd be less of a difference. Imo, currently the most competitive aspect of MBII is the dueling system.

It's weird really. MBII is like a casual game with a very high skill-ceiling :)

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Open mode yes, dueling not so much. I should've been more specific.

Cat Lady

But we have "achievements" already, don't we? Anyone in need of swag can just paste them into forum's profile... ;)

Personally, I find all those 'swaggy'' things kind of silly, like gadgets in real life. Considering popularity of the latter, I guess the former could have some target audience in MBII too, meh...

This game currently does NOT have a high skill ceiling, the maps aren't designed to be competitive. MB2 had huge potential to be competitive, but it wasn't meant to be. It is not even close to CS:GO in it's current state.

Also would people not just end up replacing models/skins with the ones you have unlockables/achievements for I dont see how you would be able to police that.

Cat Lady

jade said:
This game currently does NOT have a high skill ceiling, the maps aren't designed to be competitive. MB2 had huge potential to be competitive, but it wasn't meant to be. It is not even close to CS:GO in it's current state.

Funny, as I see it exactly other way around - I don't see CS:GO as anything even close to being worth my time for competitive (or any other, for that matter) play - I see it as gaming equivalent of Apple products, things for over-excited "first world problems" kids with way too much money to waste. At the same time, I gladly put my time into MBII gameplay.

Different target audiences, perhaps? ;) Just like Total Annihilation vs. Starcraft thing from old times. The latter is plain dumb compared to the former (TA is hell competitive and exciting to play even today), but it is the latter that gets torunaments with bazzilions dollars given to more coordinated "clicker".

/Cat Lady

Lots of newbies who come to play mb2, quit pretty fast because they can't kill anyone, I think a Guns and Skills reward will be a bad idea, we would loose almost all the new players who come here.
I strongly support new hilts, saber colors, skins, gun models to get when you "level up"
but first, please fix the saber sound when turning it on!

Funny, as I see it exactly other way around - I don't see CS:GO as anything even close to being worth my time for competitive (or any other, for that matter) play - I see it as gaming equivalent of Apple products, things for over-excited "first world problems" kids with way too much money to waste. At the same time, I gladly put my time into MBII gameplay.

Different target audiences, perhaps? ;) Just like Total Annihilation vs. Starcraft thing from old times. The latter is plain dumb compared to the former (TA is hell competitive and exciting to play even today), but it is the latter that gets torunaments with bazzilions dollars given to more coordinated "clicker".

/Cat Lady

How is it the gaming equivalent of an apple product? Because of the weapon skins? CS didn't become huge only because valve put money into it, they haven't put alot of money and support into it when compared to dota and it is almost competing with that. CS had a huge competitive scene for ages and unlike most games, it is still growing after all these years. The difference is that mb2 was designed to be an authentic star wars experience, while cs is made with nothing but esports in mind. How could mb2 be competitive when the devs don't even want it to be?

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Only the dueling can compete in terms of competitiveness. CSGO>>>>Open/PUGs that happen nowadays