I Interviewed the Creator of Jedi Academy's Combat, Now I Need to Talk w. MB2 Players. Come Chat!

Hello there!

My name's Don, I'm a journalist and YouTuber from Melbourne, Australia.

Recently I spoke with Mike Chang-Gummelt, the programmer of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy's lightsaber combat system.

I'm now hoping to speak with some Movie Battles 2 players who can give me an insight into how MB 2 re-imagines the lightsaber combat and why you enjoy playing it. I want to capture the community's thoughts and views by asking a few short questions. We can talk over email or Skype. Whatever suits you best!

Get involved below if you wanted to be apart of the video.

Looking forward to speaking with you!

k4far

Banned
Donator
If you compare Movie Battles, even Jedi Academy can offer more depth to fighting with a lightsaber compared to let us take a... Battlefront. Playing Battlefront feels like mashing action figures togheter. It was made like that to allow to play the most people without any requirement to learn, to understand. This is one of the reasons someone clever can not enjoy a dull game like Battelfront.

EA the company that bought all the could is producing games for the massess... fans happy with everything as they see a Stars Wars logo on it. That is horrible and very saddening to me. Quality is not just fancy graphics, explosions and sp3aking over and over "cool", "awesome" during your own streams. This is lame, they are making SW look bad next to them.

You need a wider understanding to perform well in Movie Battles 2. We have many classess... Mandalorians, Heroes, Jedi, Super Battle Droids(...) Each with their own skill set. You can modify your abilities to match your opponents and the map. Play as you like. Cooperate or ditch your team and win anyway if your opponents are inexperienced enough. This is the kind of fun every game should give to the player the fun of free choice of what to do.

What I believe is one of many unique yet important things for MB2 and Jedi Academy are the taunts. Taunts are short voices performed by usually original voice actors. You can use them to communicate with teammates and enemies. It is often a comedy or a drama. I do not mind watching anyone playing as long as they can put a good show. You can everyone see writing lol/lmao at the end of the round. It is not trolling, this is the result of a few people trying to win in a very entertaining manner. And it happens all the time at it, the more reason to play Movie Battles 2 the best Jedi Academy modification. You will be never bored.

If you compare Movie Battles, even Jedi Academy can offer more depth to fighting with a lightsaber compared to let us take a... Battlefront. Playing Battlefront feels like mashing action figures togheter. It was made like that to allow to play the most people without any requirement to learn, to understand. This is one of the reasons someone clever can not enjoy a dull game like Battelfront.

EA the company that bought all the could is producing games for the massess... fans happy with everything as they see a Stars Wars logo on it. That is horrible and very saddening to me. Quality is not just fancy graphics, explosions and sp3aking over and over "cool", "awesome" during your own streams. This is lame, they are making SW look bad next to them.

You need a wider understanding to perform well in Movie Battles 2. We have many classess... Mandalorians, Heroes, Jedi, Super Battle Droids(...) Each with their own skill set. You can modify your abilities to match your opponents and the map. Play as you like. Cooperate or ditch your team and win anyway if your opponents are inexperienced enough. This is the kind of fun every game should give to the player the fun of free choice of what to do.

What I believe is one of many unique yet important things for MB2 and Jedi Academy are the taunts. Taunts are short voices performed by usually original voice actors. You can use them to communicate with teammates and enemies. It is often a comedy or a drama. I do not mind watching anyone playing as long as they can put a good show. You can everyone see writing lol/lmao at the end of the round. It is not trolling, this is the result of a few people trying to win in a very entertaining manner. And it happens all the time at it, the more reason to play Movie Battles 2 the best Jedi Academy modification. You will be never bored.
4 paragraphs of text and only 1 line that adresses lightsaber combat. Bravo.

k4far

Banned
Donator
4 paragraphs of text and only 1 line that adresses lightsaber combat. Bravo.

I believe it will target people not too eager to read books, it can not be too much at once.

You are free to say your part. Put in to so few words so it will reach someone getting bored after reading the headline, but he will get interested with the content. Mention of the game, the Star Wars in it is a lot actually. Rest is for nerds to read in their free time.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I'm willing to talk Jedi knight series and Moviebattles II all day my friend. I've been playing Jedi Knight series games since I was 8, starting with Dark forces II, then Jedi Outcast/Academy into Moviebattles II. Not rly a big fan of skype, prefer email or discord (We've got an MBII discord with a bunch of ppl on it).

I'll write a little blurp about MBII lightsaber combat which might be useful to you. Also, It's rly cool to see you giving this mod and Jedi Outcast/Academy the attention it deserves. I've been uploading MBII gameplay videos to youtube for our small community since 2013.

I think one of the essential things that were missing in Jedi knight Outcast/Academy lightsaber combat was a way to reliably block incoming lightsaber attacks with your own Lightsaber. It made the lightsaber feel less powerful because it didn't one hit kill you like you would expect. The major thing MBII brings to the table is Blocking points and a way to reliably block lightsaber attacks. This change results in far more 'starwars realistic' lightsaber combat, a back and forth dance, resource exhaustion and management, mechanical finesse and a super high skill ceiling. Also, lightsaber combat in MBII is, like the name of the mod implies, much more movie like and as a result of that, it feels damn cool aswell. There are so many intricacies present in MBII lightsaber combat, like timing, perfect blocking, disarming, acrobatics, dodging, comboing effectively, predicting the opponent aswell as the ACM mechanic which represents momentum in a duel and is part of resource management since it governs the damage you deal to your opponent. You get it by striking your opponents body more, and taking less swings from him aka perfect blocking his attacks more or dodging them. All of these things along with other details combine to make lightsaber combat in MBII a deep system with a high skill ceiling.

Below is a short video I took of actual gameplay, which serves to illustrate the point about MB2 lightsaber combat being more movie like and why MBII is an incredible star wars mod. Apologies in advance for video spam.

Here's what Lightsaber duels look like now.

As you can see, MBII lightsaber combat is defined by timing, intricate mechanical skill and the main feature of Blocking points/Blocking mechanics. It's a very different beast than Base jedi Academy, but it builds on the solid core of lightsaber combat that you described in your recent Lightsaber combat in games video (props to you for that one!). I'm always super happy when someone mentioned the Jedi knight series and promotes the games, cause it means more activity for us and this mod deserves more attention.

Here's an open mode video that reinforces the point of the first short clip. Latter half where there's 2v1 lightsaber fights etc.

I hope the above was useful to you. Always willing to talk/answer questions etc, but as I said, not a big fan of skype so I'd like to avoid it if possible. You can add me on steam and we can talk there, or come on the official MBII discord and we can PM back and forth there aswell. Or here on the forums?

-SeV

Lol remember the drama back in 2013 when that same guy showed up on forums as "chang khan" during the source code release and deleted all of his posts after a week or two.
Nubs started pointing fingers at devs for scaring him away while in fact he deleted the posts because of shady legal hurdles

I'm willing to talk Jedi knight series and Moviebattles II all day my friend. I've been playing Jedi Knight series games since I was 8, starting with Dark forces II, then Jedi Outcast/Academy into Moviebattles II. Not rly a big fan of skype, prefer email or discord (We've got an MBII discord with a bunch of ppl on it).

I'll write a little blurp about MBII lightsaber combat which might be useful to you. Also, It's rly cool to see you giving this mod and Jedi Outcast/Academy the attention it deserves. I've been uploading MBII gameplay videos to youtube for our small community since 2013.

I think one of the essential things that were missing in Jedi knight Outcast/Academy lightsaber combat was a way to reliably block incoming lightsaber attacks with your own Lightsaber. It made the lightsaber feel less powerful because it didn't one hit kill you like you would expect. The major thing MBII brings to the table is Blocking points and a way to reliably block lightsaber attacks. This change results in far more 'starwars realistic' lightsaber combat, a back and forth dance, resource exhaustion and management, mechanical finesse and a super high skill ceiling. Also, lightsaber combat in MBII is, like the name of the mod implies, much more movie like and as a result of that, it feels damn cool aswell. There are so many intricacies present in MBII lightsaber combat, like timing, perfect blocking, disarming, acrobatics, dodging, comboing effectively, predicting the opponent aswell as the ACM mechanic which represents momentum in a duel and is part of resource management since it governs the damage you deal to your opponent. You get it by striking your opponents body more, and taking less swings from him aka perfect blocking his attacks more or dodging them. All of these things along with other details combine to make lightsaber combat in MBII a deep system with a high skill ceiling.

Below is a short video I took of actual gameplay, which serves to illustrate the point about MB2 lightsaber combat being more movie like and why MBII is an incredible star wars mod. Apologies in advance for video spam.

Here's what Lightsaber duels look like now.

As you can see, MBII lightsaber combat is defined by timing, intricate mechanical skill and the main feature of Blocking points/Blocking mechanics. It's a very different beast than Base jedi Academy, but it builds on the solid core of lightsaber combat that you described in your recent Lightsaber combat in games video (props to you for that one!). I'm always super happy when someone mentioned the Jedi knight series and promotes the games, cause it means more activity for us and this mod deserves more attention.

Here's an open mode video that reinforces the point of the first short clip. Latter half where there's 2v1 lightsaber fights etc.

I hope the above was useful to you. Always willing to talk/answer questions etc, but as I said, not a big fan of skype so I'd like to avoid it if possible. You can add me on steam and we can talk there, or come on the official MBII discord and we can PM back and forth there aswell. Or here on the forums?

-SeV

Thanks so much for your input! Really useful information. Thanks for the kind words about the video as well, appreciate it! It's totally fine if you don't want to use Skype, however to make your input for the video really resonate it would be great if you could possibly record your voice answering some basic questions, essentially re-explaining what you just detailed to me above.

I'm happy to read out your answers in my video but it's always best to get the information straight from you source you know. I want to give a platform to the community to represent itself. Let me know what you think, my email is [email protected]. Shoot me an email and we can figure something out.