[How To] Getting sound files to work in Jedi Academy

Fuse294

Internal Beta Team
I did a topic on this on another JA forum years ago on porting sounds to JA that work such as taunts.

This is to help people who are unfamiliar with editing sound files they use for their skin that turn out to be broken, here's a guide on fixing the errors. Being a PORT from another game/mod that uses a different SET RATE to run sounds as well as STEREO over MONO unlike Jedi Academy, is the reason they don't work.

It helps to have a program I use called "Audacity", it's a free audio editing software that is safe to use (Virus free): Link to Download

To start off with, you want to place all the sound files you'll be using in your .pk3 into a folder that's easy to find (If you want, just move the broken ones and not the whole lot), for personal use, I generally create a "Sounds" folder in gamedata or base/rpmod for easy of access when it's time to save the changes, make sure they are all named appropriately so the game knows to detect them.
For example: taunt, taunt1, death, pain100, pain75, gloat, etc.

Once you've done that, select the file that 'Isn't working' ingame, the file(s) that come up as an error message on the console when on the server and the skin is loaded, RIGHT-CLICK it and select Open with as shown below, if Audacity isn't showing you may have to select 'Choose default program' to find it.

audacity 1.png

If done correctly, you will be presented with this:

audacity 3.png

The most important thing you need to do so a file works in JA is to ensure that A) The file is set to MONO and B) The HZ is set to 44100hz.

A STEREO file will look like the one above.

This can be easily corrected by clicking the following to change a file to MONO.

audacity mono.png

Then you need to delete the dupe below by simply clicking the X, this is done to stop the sound becoming loud and distorted by two of the same sound playing over each other.

final 2.png

And then to change the Hz you need to click RATE and set it to 44100hz if it isn't already.
hz.png

You should be left with this:

final.png

Finally, you export the file and name it to what you're trying to add it as, for example a character sound file you would use such as "taunt" "gloat" "pain25/50/etc". I recommend choosing to export the file as a .mp3. (file>export>export as mp3>rename>confirm)

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0