•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Hosting Server Help with using server host for dedicated server.

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
I have my config file and the .bat file for running a MBII server done. I want to send it off to a server host. I have no idea how using a server host works. I was thinking about using GoDaddy because they host my domain name, but it seems that Blue Fang Solutions does it cheaper. Is there anyone with experience in this that can walking me through selecting a server host and setting up my server through them? I've hosted on a home computer before but that leads to high pings and security risks. Thank you. I will update with more info if needed.

id recommend bluefang because they make it fairly easy, they pre-load the mod for you and all you gotta do is update it each time the games updated.
from there, you edit your server file, and put it in the base dir as 'server.cfg' and it will load. Make sure you set a map rotation that runs back to the first map at the end, and change admin and RCON passwords to something aside from the default.

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
id recommend bluefang because they make it fairly easy, they pre-load the mod for you and all you gotta do is update it each time the games updated.
from there, you edit your server file, and put it in the base dir as 'server.cfg' and it will load. Make sure you set a map rotation that runs back to the first map at the end, and change admin and RCON passwords to something aside from the default.
Can I frequently make changes to the server.cfg file if need be? If so then I'm sold.

yeah, anytime really, you just gotta restart it after. but thats any server. the only downside is that they sometimes take a few hours to start it up once you order it.

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
Thank you kyton.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright so I purchased it. I uploaded my server.cfg file to the base folder and got rid of the one already there. My server is still not being shown. I see a BlueFangSolutions.com - 21129 server. I think that maybe mine. How do I change the server name? I have the hostname changed in the server.cfg file.

BlueFang shows it as running.

Edit: I would be banned from the jedi order due to my impatience. Sorry. It seems to have fixed itself...

Last edited by a moderator:
look for a line that looks like this
seta sv_hostname "^0-M.A.F- ^4Hangout" // Name of your server
change the part in quotes to whatever you want your server name to be. .
make sure you refresh your server list in game, AND restart your server, and sometimes the master list takes a while to update.