{Gunslinger} - New Ability Idea for Hero and BH

In Open, pistol (level 2 or 3) alt-fire will use ammo to charge up an extra powerful shot, once the shot is charged fully it fires automatically. The "Gunslinger" ability for Heroes and BH could let them store the charge of the alt-fire by holstering the pistol during the charge-up, so that when reequipping the pistol later it will automatically fire the alt-fire at whatever power it was charged to prior. This would promote a unique playstyle of someone who puts a lot of points into pistol and ammo but still intends to use the pistol like a side-arm. Playing sniper and you get close-quarter ambushed by a gunner? Now you have a tool to turn the tables, but it requires both preparation and good aim to use effectively. You can have fun old western-inspired moments where a Hero and a BH do a quick-draw duel. It wouldn't be an ability very useful in the hands of a noob, not only does it require preparation and aim, but it also requires familiarity with the controls to not accidentally switch to the pistol. That said, I think it would be a surprisingly deadly ability and I don't think it should come cheap. If it is considered and tested, I'd start with making the Gunslinger ability cost 8 points. Since it relies on pistol alt-fire you'd also need to at least get to level 2 pistol before being able to spend points on Gunslinger. I also want the ability to favor using Pistols as a side-arm, so you would also need to spend some points into some gun other than the pistol too.

The powerful shot of the pistol would make it easier to finish off someone in those tight scenarios, but it should be a finisher instead of just making pistols easier. For this to work, your mag will deplete completely when you store then fire an alt-fire shot, this is to punish the player more harshly for missing their powerful Gunslinger shot, which would not only use risk-vs-reward to balance the skill requirement, but also make Gunslinger feel more unique. Gunslinger would be for players who wait for the right moment to strike.

I can't think of any particular reason why this ability could be a bad idea, it's a versatile skill-based ability and it makes you feel like a badass when you use it effectively. It wouldn't be too hard to balance. If it's too op, just add a slow decay to the stored alt-fire's power or increase the point cost, if it's too weak give Gunslinger the side ability to hold pistols at full charge for longer, or reduce the point count. It's also I assume not an ability that would require too much dev resources to implement, since it's just repurposing an existing mechanic.

Give your feedback down below, is this a great idea (You should vote if you think it is)? Or am I missing a crucial point that would make this ability really annoying?

Last edited:
I really wanna like this idea but I cannot. While charge being expensive and barely increasing damage on P3 almost makes this ok P3 is a bit too effective in the situations you described already. P3 users can already turn around and chest shot someone to oblivion even if flanked while sniping, and this ability would just make the shot become easier to hit and instakill some classes lower on the body. This means you need less aim which means = Less skill most of the time. Idk, make it so it completely drains your mag to store the one shot and make it a finisher or something and it could work out.

I really wanna like this idea but I cannot. While charge being expensive and barely increasing damage on P3 almost makes this ok P3 is a bit too effective in the situations you described already. P3 users can already turn around and chest shot someone to oblivion even if flanked while sniping, and this ability would just make the shot become easier to hit and instakill some classes lower on the body. This means you need less aim which means = Less skill most of the time. Idk, make it so it completely drains your mag to store the one shot and make it a finisher or something and it could work out.
That's an interesting point. I like the idea of draining the mag completely, that way the offset of the more powerful shot being easier to kill with is made up for by the risk vs reward because if you miss your one shot you've boned yourself. So even though it might be easier to kill with the one shot, it also means you are punished more for missing your one shot. I will add this to the OP.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
im all for more skill gaps and dynamics

Cool idea, definitely would need to fully drain the mag and probably cost extra ammo to balance it.
I can already see the people complaining that a sniper turns around and instakill headshots a jedi/sith as they try and swing you from behind.