Grenade Warning

So I genuinely feel that random nade spammage really kills off gameplay no matter what class you are, especially if haven't even noticed it being thrown.

Not really looking to curb dmg on whatever on them, but rather just an alert when there's a nearby nade? Like most FPS shooters do? Only makes sense considering we implimented a warning alert when you're being gripped.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
We have grenade glows because we don't have an indicator. Making an indicator would be a fair amount of work. It isn't as simple as a grip indicator.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
I cannot see genade behind my back.
Good idea imo.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Grenade indicators usually do too little too late, anyway. As soon as you see it you've usually exploded. I find the glow to be much better.

The visual indicators dont mean much if you can't see them, the grenades being loud as possible should be what your using to save yourself when it comes to them. Those ticking sounds are not just there for show.

So this is the part where I beg for concussion grenades to get an extra tick and a small dmg buff.
Its a good anti jedi weapon but with them side rolling, the knock down doesn't matter much so the damage needs to given a 5% increase.
That small window you get before they can start deflecting is almost the same amount of time it takes to switch weapons. So you can only use half of that opening you got unless you can coordinate with another gunner. However seeing as I just played with a 14 man jedi team. The coordination with gunners has significantly dwindled. If nonexistent.

So now I just use them for suicide bombs against push scrubs who have memorized the grenade travel speed or have good twitch skills. Because the fuse on the frags are too long, and cooking them only gives distance rather than actual cooking.

Last edited:
We already have indicators.

Eyes, ears, brain.

I'm morally opposed. For a game that has free-running wallhacks(Force Sight) do we need to continue on this vein of eliminating any potential for surprise?

Play generic shooter garbage for that. If you get caught off guard by a grenade. GOOD!
No one to blame but yourself.

Don't even see the point of this except to largely eliminate surprise kills from flanking. So that guy hugging the corner who didn't see it coming, didn't hear it coming, now gets an automatic alert warning him. So, two steps around the corner, that thermal/nade/rocket are nothing.

You know what really kills gameplay? Knowing where and what everybody is. So instead of being cautious, its oh, yeah - just one guy, lets all stomp him.
Now without seeing - they'd be cautious.

Point being. Lack of surprise cheapens the game.

We already have indicators.

Eyes, ears, brain.

Play generic shooter garbage for that. If you get caught off guard by a grenade. GOOD!
No one to blame but yourself.

Pretty much this.

One thing I'd like is a better glow on the flame nades and sonics. You can hardly see those things even with full glow effects.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Sometimes too many sounds to hear a grenade thrown behind you.
I'd only make such an indicator for team grenades, not for all.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I don't there should be a grenade indicator, maybe only for jedi/sith and force sense-dependent.
But I'd like if grenades would be a little bigger, glow would be stronger and sounds would be louder.
You know what really kills gameplay? Knowing where and what everybody is. So instead of being cautious, its oh, yeah - just one guy, lets all stomp him.
Now without seeing - they'd be cautious.
So you want force sense to be removed? Seriously? Don't you think that since saberists already don't have a lot of things gunners have, they deserve to have somethings that would keep them balanced?
Sith cannot just shot you from other side of the map, cannot throw a grenade, cannot launch a rocket etc, so some non-lethal abilities don't make sith OP, they only make equal chances for everybody.

Also force sense is important part of gameplay, it makes game more flexible, unique and entertaining, makes mb2 different from some standard shooters.
Movie Battles shouldn't be reduces to just "strafe and shoot".

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I use surround sound in my headset and dim glows and have absolutely no problem detecting enemy grenades, sabers, footsteps, weapon swaps, etc. I think it just helps to be more situationally aware. But anyway an indicator for friendly grenades wouldn't hurt.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Use Stereo.
Do you really think I am not playing with stereo?
The issue I pointed is that there could be too many sounds at the same moments, and you also could be distracted at the same moment by something in the game visually.
The game mixes the sounds using PCM which can silent some other sounds when you sum all the amplitudes - aka you may miss some sound.
So notifying that the teammate grenade is nearby is ok imo.

The game mixes the sounds using PCM which can silent some other sounds when you sum all the amplitudes - aka you may miss some sound.
So notifying that the teammate grenade is nearby is ok imo.

I regularly play on full populated 32 man servers and I've never had sound cut off from something that isn't coming out of a weird area portal.

The visual indicators dont mean much if you can't see them, the grenades being loud as possible should be what your using to save yourself when it comes to them. Those ticking sounds are not just there for show.

So this is the part where I beg for concussion grenades to get an extra tick and a small dmg buff.
Its a good anti jedi weapon but with them side rolling, the knock down doesn't matter much so the damage needs to given a 5% increase.
That small window you get before they can start deflecting is almost the same amount of time it takes to switch weapons. So you can only use half of that opening you got unless you can coordinate with another gunner. However seeing as I just played with a 14 man jedi team. The coordination with gunners has significantly dwindled. If nonexistent.

So now I just use them for suicide bombs against push scrubs who have memorized the grenade travel speed or have good twitch skills. Because the fuse on the frags are too long, and cooking them only gives distance rather than actual cooking.

An extra tick is whatever everyone can readjust to the timing, however the 5% damage increase does not need to happen. If you the conc goes off right next to or on the jedi/sith it already does 55 damage to them. So in theory if you can make 2 good throws you can kill a jedi/sith

An extra tick is whatever everyone can readjust to the timing, however the 5% damage increase does not need to happen. If you the conc goes off right next to or on the jedi/sith it already does 55 damage to them. So in theory if you can make 2 good throws you can kill a jedi/sith
Yeah but you need 28 points to have two conc grenades, you are pretty much useless as a soldier unless you can pistol really good.
You would need to get killed to get any offensive capabilities back, one concussion grenade barely does the damage you say it does. Especially when red is the most used saber style right now.

The grenade ticks too fast when you are trying to cook it, and you have to wait for that exact moment where they are kinda close. But from that distance they can hear you cooking the grenade. If there is an extra tick, I can cook the grenade while they are further away.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to second what was already said here. We have the grenade glow, and you should also be listening

It's also about inference. Do you have grenade-using classes on your team? What about the enemy's team? What strategies were they using last round? a bit of common sense and most grenades aren't a major threat.

So you want force sense to be removed? Seriously? Don't you think that since saberists already don't have a lot of things gunners have, they deserve to have somethings that would keep them balanced?
Sith cannot just shot you from other side of the map, cannot throw a grenade, cannot launch a rocket etc, so some non-lethal abilities don't make sith OP, they only make equal chances for everybody.

Also force sense is important part of gameplay, it makes game more flexible, unique and entertaining, makes mb2 different from some standard shooters.
Movie Battles shouldn't be reduces to just "strafe and shoot".

Calm down. Stop hyper-ventilating. Breathe.
Ok, now panic. You're about to read. For reals.

Here's a happy medium I suggested ages ago which was partially implemented as arrows on a radar:)
Limit identification to player presence. Not fully detailed picture of what skin, class and weapons the player is using.
Jedi could sense others. They didn't have x-ray vision that let them check out, oh, he's carrying a frag on his side, has a sniper rifle on his back and a thermal primed, is that a jetpack? Silly rabbit etc.

I get the impression you think I'm a jedi nerfer:) Hate to break it to you but I've advocated just as many buffs as nerfs to jedi as well as gunners.
I'm an equal opportunity nerfer. Nerf herder? :)

Don't label me!

All those wonderful threads gone. Thank Suxx.

I'm a fervent believer that some mystery is required to keep things spicy.

Level 1 - radar
Level 2 - Visual blobs
Level 3 - Visual blobs team colored/Health indicator.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to grenade warnings. I mean, really? How many more *nerfs* do you want to give them:) Oh, didn't see that coming did you.

You should have! Or do you need an indicator for that too:)

Team Grenade Warning? Uh, still nope. Being tked/put at risk is part and parcel of the game.
Teammates throwing bad nades is just as much a joy in this game as being shot by them.

For the enemy anyway. I know I cheer the enemy's incompetence/mistakes/comedy gold.

Oh Lord. I just had a horrible thought. It's even worse because some of you might see it as a good one.
You know how your crosshair identifies enemies as red and teammates as green?
What if you couldnt shoot when your crosshair was green?

It'd certainly limit tking. But it would eliminate some player control. Do we need child locks on our triggers?
Do we really care that much for the well being of others?