Gameplay is too unapproachable/unintuitive.

Ok so my story is I picked up the game a couple years ago, played for a couple months, had alot of fun. As time went on I wanted to improve my game so I started looking into the advanced mechanics. Master swordsman and experience made it clear that if you aren't swingblocking everything you are going to be trash forever. So I started practicing, and I kept practicing, and after weeks of trying to sb consistently on a dummy for hours on end most every day, I still couldn't do it consistently and the situation was even worse when I tried to duel.

This mechanic is too clunky to implement without wasting many many hours of your life practicing it, the window for inputting attacks is too small and very few people have the patience/time to do this, rightfully so. So I dropped the game because effectively, I couldnt swing my saber properly after a couple hundred hours of gameplay. Basically imo, the mechanical skill of players outweighs all other variables too heavily. If you can sb well and your opponent cant, the player with superior mechanical skill can essentially spam slap and combos and win without actually having to use any wit. It also slows down movement to the point where high level duelists basically just stand rooted to the spot swinging once as often as possible waiting to draw the slap so that you have a 4 second window where the game is actually about your use of the saber and not slapping eachother around like an episode of Jerry Springer.

I like complex games that have a high skill ceiling, I'm a sim racer by trade so to speak, but the beauty of of such games is that they are easy to play and difficult to master. I dont think you would have to remove sb btw, I just think its a huge barrier to entry so to speak and that it is perhaps a little overpowered. There is more detail and other mechanics I could go into, but TLDR I think more people would be inclined to play your game and stick with it if your game didnt punish new players so brutally if they are unable to utilise such complex controls. People dont want to have to spend hundreds of hours practicing akward controls just to not only stand any chance against a veteran player, but even feel like they are in control of what they are doing. Take dayz for example. A player, like for instance mindr or runningmanZ (thousands of hours vets of the game) are much more skilled than me, but they arent essentially invulnerable to my attacks. If I outwit them, I can win because bullets will kill them every bit as much as they kill me.

Anyway, thats all I really have to say, Im aware nobody gives a fuck and nor do I care about the sling of insults that are headed my way for daring to question this perfect game that hundreds of thousands, due to its unique draw, have probably tried and 50 people still play. Just wanted to put it out there, simply feels good to say whats on your mind. Im not going to stop trying, infact Im quite determined to nail this sb shit this time around and move onto implementing other more advanced techniques, but the fun is starting to drain out. Im less concerned about movement, finding weakness and exploiting when I duel and now my thought process when dueling basically boils down to draw slap, then practice sb on a live moving target so that maybe one day, after many more hundreds of hours of gameplay, I can actually put my lightsaber where I want without being slapped every 5 seconds and disarmed every other minute.

Thank you for taking the time to read the first sentence then dive in to abuse me for being an unskilled, whinging autistic person who wants the game changed to suit him.

Hello,

wasting many many hours of your life practicing it
I believe this is the reason many people enjoy this game, it has a long learning curve and discovering your own potential through it is pleasing.

I couldnt swing my saber properly after a couple hundred hours of gameplay
Your methodology must have flaws, it is with patience and discipline that in a few session you can achieve this goal. Feel free to meet me on a duel server, I'll give you some bases.

such complex controls
I agree these aren't the most easy controls, but once you figure how to approach it, it becomes not only natural, but a very good way to play too. (Movements being the main way of driving your saber, is very realistic for example).

Im not going to stop trying
And you shall be rewarded for your efforts.

[...] they arent essentially invulnerable to my attacks.
I would gladly demonstrate you how any "pro" looking individual is in fact only resting on muscle memory and knowledge, just as much as a DayZ player when it comes to rotation and aiming. Hitting them with your saber do as much damage as on anybody. Now just like when you shot TopeREC you will have to aim properly, or just like on his last short, he'll be dodging all your bullets.
The same apply here, it's first of all about strategy.

I wish you good luck in your MBII Adventure! I'll look forward for your next log report!

I think you are putting WAY to much importance on swing blocking. As long as you can swing block a single swing you really have all you need to play the game. Swing blocking also isn't 100% protected against slap.(Anyone can be slapped out of a combo with precise timing)

The game has many layers and many different effective play styles. If your swing blocking is weak you may want to work on foot work and maintaining a safe distance when swinging ( hitting someone from max range so their slap misses you).

I definitely agree that the barrier to intermediate gameplay is quite high.
However I believe this leads to a more rewarding experience since you get to actually experience the fruits of your labor.

Ok so my story is I picked up the game a couple years ago, played for a couple months, had alot of fun. As time went on I wanted to improve my game so I started looking into the advanced mechanics. Master swordsman and experience made it clear that if you aren't swingblocking everything you are going to be trash forever. So I started practicing, and I kept practicing, and after weeks of trying to sb consistently on a dummy for hours on end most every day, I still couldn't do it consistently and the situation was even worse when I tried to duel.

This mechanic is too clunky to implement without wasting many many hours of your life practicing it, the window for inputting attacks is too small and very few people have the patience/time to do this, rightfully so. So I dropped the game because effectively, I couldnt swing my saber properly after a couple hundred hours of gameplay. Basically imo, the mechanical skill of players outweighs all other variables too heavily. If you can sb well and your opponent cant, the player with superior mechanical skill can essentially spam slap and combos and win without actually having to use any wit. It also slows down movement to the point where high level duelists basically just stand rooted to the spot swinging once as often as possible waiting to draw the slap so that you have a 4 second window where the game is actually about your use of the saber and not slapping eachother around like an episode of Jerry Springer.

I like complex games that have a high skill ceiling, I'm a sim racer by trade so to speak, but the beauty of of such games is that they are easy to play and difficult to master. I dont think you would have to remove sb btw, I just think its a huge barrier to entry so to speak and that it is perhaps a little overpowered. There is more detail and other mechanics I could go into, but TLDR I think more people would be inclined to play your game and stick with it if your game didnt punish new players so brutally if they are unable to utilise such complex controls. People dont want to have to spend hundreds of hours practicing akward controls just to not only stand any chance against a veteran player, but even feel like they are in control of what they are doing. Take dayz for example. A player, like for instance mindr or runningmanZ (thousands of hours vets of the game) are much more skilled than me, but they arent essentially invulnerable to my attacks. If I outwit them, I can win because bullets will kill them every bit as much as they kill me.

Anyway, thats all I really have to say, Im aware nobody gives a fuck and nor do I care about the sling of insults that are headed my way for daring to question this perfect game that hundreds of thousands, due to its unique draw, have probably tried and 50 people still play. Just wanted to put it out there, simply feels good to say whats on your mind. Im not going to stop trying, infact Im quite determined to nail this sb shit this time around and move onto implementing other more advanced techniques, but the fun is starting to drain out. Im less concerned about movement, finding weakness and exploiting when I duel and now my thought process when dueling basically boils down to draw slap, then practice sb on a live moving target so that maybe one day, after many more hundreds of hours of gameplay, I can actually put my lightsaber where I want without being slapped every 5 seconds and disarmed every other minute.

Thank you for taking the time to read the first sentence then dive in to abuse me for being an unskilled, whinging autistic person who wants the game changed to suit him.
Good let your anger and frustration empower you, If you think your enemies are invulnerable I can teach you how to destroy them if only you kneel...

Mcbober

Movie Battles II Team
Thanks for the feedback! While it is only about one single aspect of the game (Saber vs Saber combat), I think you made some good points.

Everything, ultimately, is point and click for the most part. You just need to learn where and when. Knowledge is power.

Ultimate Powaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Join the Dark Side. Be pro-choice. Believe what you want, slaughter anyone. Big, tall, short, small, young, old, skinny, fat, etc.
Equality for all and equity in addendum.

And if you want change? Make suggestions. Good ones will find some traction. Dull ones usually flop around, like a turtle with a fish on its back.

I sense your vibe, padawan. Your frustration, your resentment.
I know it is difficult to accept but the issues you have described are here to stay, as they are an inherent part of the core game mechanics.

And it is not going to be changed for one strong reason: the project serves its purpose well.
The purpose is to let those in charge to assert dominance through occupying a respectable position of a developer in a hierarchy of a local internet community. One might find it pleasurable to rest in a cradle of power, believing the playerbase is safe and protected.
And it actually is, as people tend to develop an attachment to things they have invested time and effort to.

So you are expected to be told to git gud in various ways some of which may conceal the implied message behind a smoke screen of a friendly advice or even a mentoring proposal. The message is: it is your fault you struggle to enjoy the game, the game is fine as it is. Oh well…

Do you know what it is that was cast aside half a decade ago? A thread intended to introduce an idea of systemic based approach to game design.
An elegant approach for a more civilized age.
It was not deemed worthy.

It was foreseen back then.
And it is alright

Last edited: