•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Game starting to crash

I haven't played for a while, a few months best I can remember. I seem to be crashing quite frequently while playing and this hasn't happened before (In fact I don't think I ever crashed before or at least no times that I can remember). I don't get an error message but I just crash, screen goes black and then I am back at my desktop. I don't know if there was an update some time and this could be it and/or if this happening to anyone else as well. I know this is kinda vague but I hope to see if anyone has any thoughts or solutions. It might be on my end or something with the game itself. I notice this happens whenever there's an explosion of some kind in game. Not every explosion but whenever it does crash there was an explosion of something. I already tried repairing my installation, and verifying my JK game through steam (It was missing 4 files but reacquired them) and for safe measure I repaired my installation again then I played a round or two then boom, I crashed again, and this is happening a little too frequently than I'd like.

Any thoughts or theories?

Much appreciated

Happens to me as well all of a sudden. I tried removing every extra pk3, even went as far as reinstalling jka entirely but it still crashes. Been using mb2 client for a while now and never had this issue before.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Has to be related to an update of some application on your computer. The OpenJK client distributed with the mod hasn't been updated for a long time, and there's been no type of change in the mod itself to cause that type of instability suddenly.

Culprits I'd be on the lookout for: any programs that add overlays (e.g. Discord), graphics drivers being updated / changed, badly designed antivirus programs that disrupt benign processes, any other updates or system changes that may have occurred.

Has to be related to an update of some application on your computer. The OpenJK client distributed with the mod hasn't been updated for a long time, and there's been no type of change in the mod itself to cause that type of instability suddenly.

Culprits I'd be on the lookout for: any programs that add overlays (e.g. Discord), graphics drivers being updated / changed, badly designed antivirus programs that disrupt benign processes, any other updates or system changes that may have occurred.
seems like somehow my new nvidia drivers were causing the issue, reinstalling the previous version fixed it.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
seems like somehow my new nvidia drivers were causing the issue, reinstalling the previous version fixed it.
Interesting. If the latest Nvidia stuff is causing issues that could be a significant problem.

EDIT: At least one other person had to revert their drivers to 431.36 to fix their issues (probably impacts other Quake 3 engine games too).

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I too get this crash with no error, but it only affects me during initial startup. I run through Steam with launch options, and it happens probably 60% of the time.

EDIT: I went through every program I had that could mess with overlays, and turning off NVidia overlay (which magically turned back on without me knowing) and Windows Game Bar seemed to help. I still get the crash but it is far less frequent.

Last edited: