•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Game not working.

Okay so about 2 weeks ago I tried install a skin pack or maybe I modified a file I shouldn't have and my game started shitting itself, the first shit storm that happened was when I ran the launcher and clicked play, it would say run launcher as admin (which I did).
Then I thought maybe something is wrong with the game's files, so I clicked repair install and in the middle of it, the launcher (not the game's files) just deleted itself.
I had no clue what happened so I just tried downloading it and it said "You do not have permission to download this file to this location, would you like to download it to ______ location instead?" I clicked yes.
When I opened the launcher it did the usual "checking files" thing on start up, and as soon as it finished it deleted itself like before and the location I downloaded it too was blocked like the first time. Eventually I said fuck it and just deleted MBII and Jedi Academy and did a fresh install. Ofc I didnt want to lose things so I made a backup of my openjk.cfg file.
The game worked beautifully without my backups restored but as soon as I put my original openjk back the same fuckery happened again. So I am 100% sure it's my openjk.cfg file that is fucking my game over. Do you guys have any clue what I can do to fix this? I really want my settings in openjk because it's filled with precise settings and binds.

Attachments

• openjk.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 221

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
the launcher (not the game's files) just deleted itself.
That's extremely strange, and it sounds like an anti-virus wasn't happy about Launcher...
The game worked beautifully without my backups restored but as soon as I put my original openjk back the same fuckery happened again. So I am 100% sure it's my openjk.cfg file that is fucking my game over. Do you guys have any clue what I can do to fix this?
I can start MBII with your config without an issues.
Could you explain what do you mean? What seems to be the problem?
  1. You restore your old config
  2. You execute MBIILauncher.exe
  3. You click "Play"
  4. ???
Describe exactly what's happening then, in detail.

I restore my old config, then I click play in the launcher with the MBII Client engine on in settings, then the original problem that I had happened again, it said run launcher as admin (even though I did). I think the reason it's working for you is maybe you didn't click on the MBII Client option in the menu.

((Side note: My anti-virus was disabled the whole time so I think it's a lack of permission issue that denies that file access to the location. (I am also always in Administrator mode so I have no clue why this would happen).))

--- Update: ---

Oh and also the JAMP engine works fine, no issues.

--- Update: ---

Oh I forgot to mention the file I uploaded is not a .cfg, I copied the contents of the .cfg to a .txt because it would allow me to upload the .cfg format, so It is also possible you just put a .txt in your directory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I think the reason it's working for you is maybe you didn't click on the MBII Client option in the menu.
Oh I forgot to mention the file I uploaded is not a .cfg, I copied the contents of the .cfg to a .txt because it would allow me to upload the .cfg format, so It is also possible you just put a .txt in your directory
I know how to handle game engines and config files, believe me.
I was able to use your binds while running MBII Client, so I'm sure your config was being executed.
then the original problem that I had happened again, it said run launcher as admin (even though I did).
I'm almost sure that switching configs cannot cause this issue.
Right click on "Jedi Academy\GameData\mbii.x86.exe" => Properties => Unblock => OK.

c45a5f7caab7.jpg

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I don't even have that file inside my GameData folder.
But you have to, mbii.x86.exe is MBII Client.
If you don't have it, that's probably because your anti-virus remove it.
Add "Jedi Academy\GameData\mbii.x86.exe" to a whitelist, or shutdown anti-virus completely.
Then,
MBII Launcher => Settings => check "Enable logging" => Repair installation.
Post latest log from "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII_Launcher\logs" here.

But you have to, mbii.x86.exe is MBII Client.
If you don't have it, that's probably because your anti-virus remove it.
Add "Jedi Academy\GameData\mbii.x86.exe" to a whitelist, or shutdown anti-virus completely.
Then,
I've completely uninstalled my antivirus since this started happening, Also I might mention that I found a very old backup of MBII on my computer with that file in it, but when I try to add it to that directory it says it requires admin permissions so I click continue and it says something along the lines of "Access Denied" :/

- - - Updated - - -

The strange thing is, if I rename mbii.x86 to another name it allows me to move it, but when Its in the folder and I try putting the name back to mbii.x86 it says insufficient permissions again.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
The strange thing is, if I rename mbii.x86 to another name it allows me to move it, but when Its in the folder and I try putting the name back to mbii.x86 it says insufficient permissions again.
Right-click on "Jedi Academy" => Properties => Security => give yourself all possible permissions, including all subfolders.

Also, I've asked you about log:
Where it is?

Its not the rebinding that's the problem, its the settings too.

- - - Updated - - -

plus I much prefer MBII Client over JAMP.

Yeah I cannot download it twice to the same location for whatever reason, I've redownloaded the launcher atleast 50 times by now. Anyway, I've tried retracing my steps, so I deleted everything that has to do with jedi academy on my computer and reinstalled it. MBII Client was working perfectly, but when I put my openjk.cfg in there I was only able to run the game once before the error started happening again, even though I removed my openjk and replaced it with a new one it still gets the error, I think it's because of the fact that I actually edited a file there it messes up.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I put my openjk.cfg in there I was only able to run the game once before the error started happening again
Do you have same "run launcher as admin" error, do what I already suggested, and post what happens then:
Right click on "C:\GOG Games\Jedi Academy\GameData\mbii.x86.exe" => Properties => Unblock => OK.

c45a5f7caab7.jpg

I think it's because of the fact that I actually edited a file there it messes up.
Still cannot reproduce it. Your config + MBII Client = works fine for me.
Though obviously I have different set of software installed and running, I have different hardware and I have different OS (Windows XP).

It was the Rogue pack that I installed last but, this could also just be a coincidence and have nothing to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have same "run launcher as admin" error, do what I already suggested, and post what happens then:
Right click on "C:\GOG Games\Jedi Academy\GameData\mbii.x86.exe" => Properties => Unblock => OK.

c45a5f7caab7.jpg

Still cannot reproduce it. Your config + MBII Client = works fine for me.
Though obviously I have different set of software installed and running, I have different hardware and I have different OS (Windows XP).
I don't even have the Unblock option. (I run Windows 7)

Sorry for not being able to update my situation, but yeah I deleted every trace of jedi academy on my computer and reinstalled both game and mod, now the issue no longer persists. Thank you all for the help anyway :D