Can't fix Game crash doesn't adjust brightness back

What went wrong
My game crashed and my screen had the wrong brightness. It only turns back if I go to the display settings (windows 10) or if I launch the game again and exit it gracefully.

What should have happened
The brightness should change back when the game closes, crash or otherwise.

Side note: Preferably the brightness slider shouldn't adjust the screen brightness at all but only the brightness in game

Last edited:
i believe this bug has been known about for many years, for me i used to have perma brightness every time i closed the game normally, only fixed by a pc restart

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This is due to how JAMP does gamma. If it crashes it sticks. Not something we can really fix. Use another engine if you want to avoid that.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This happened on OpenJK
Then I guess they didn't change the implementation. You could try running in fullscreen windowed mode (make resolution match display and turn off fullscreen). Or request for them to implement gamma differently in fullscreen mode. OpenJK development isn't really active anymore though so I wouldn't hold my breath.

i believe this bug has been known about for many years, for me i used to have perma brightness every time i closed the game normally, only fixed by a pc restart
Search for "calibrate display color" in the windows search bar and run the wizard; just click it through and it should reset the brightness

I'll try playing with r_gammaShaders on for a while and see if that solves anything. I dug through some of the posts and github issues you linked but I didn't see that xycaleth commit actually being used in OpenJK. However, the r_gammaShaders cvar does exist in the code and appears to be used so I hope an alternative was implemented

screencolorthing.PNG

yea when it happens i just open this thing and close by clicking cancel as it immediatly fixes the brightness, idk it maybe called Screen Colour Setting or something