Friendly fire/team damage in MB2

Pretty simple proposal, and I am very curious to hear what the community/developers think: disable team damage by default. Knockdowns from explosives and domino pushes should stay as is imo, but stuff like kicking your teammates over or grappling them with melee kata/grip should not. I think it'd make MB2 just less frustrating to play in general & take away power from teamkillers/griefers when admins aren't around or are unwilling to take action (which is 90% of the time on EU servers). It has to be said that this would affect gameplay to a large degree - throwing nades into an area with both enemies and teammates wouldn't be as bad as it is now, it would also be easier to spam down corridors and lay down suppressing fire since you won't have to care about teammates strafing around in front of you. The arguments for it are pretty obvious - aside from making it difficult for griefers to ruin the game, accidental team damage which can be pretty annoying would no longer be a problem (and it feels like it happens more than ever now that there is such a large proportion of new players).

I personally think it would be worth at least testing out for a couple weeks (not internally but as part of a public build) to see how it affects gameplay because if the knock on effects i mentioned above are minor I think it would be a welcome change.

edit: something else I thought that could be a good middleground between not increasing the amount of spam down chokepoints/corridors but that would at the same time reduce the random damage you take from teammates would be having a 0.25 or 0.3 multiplier for all team damage (that's what CS:GO does and the more I think about this the more I feel like this would be the ideal solution).

Last edited:
General team damage? A big FAT no. TK system is fundamental part of MB2 and it's what makes it unique. Everyone running around guns blazing , high rof weapons spamming non-stop without a thought in the world... Yeah no. But restrict kicking, punching, grappling team mates? Maybe.

General team damage? A big FAT no. TK system is fundamental part of MB2 and it's what makes it unique. Everyone running around guns blazing , high rof weapons spamming non-stop without a thought in the world... Yeah no. But restrict kicking, punching, grappling team mates? Maybe.

yes you're right, i thought about it a little more and think that a damage reduction multiplier for team damage would be the ideal solution to avoid people shooting without caring about teamm8s but at the same time random damage from teammates wouldn't hurt as much

yes you're right, i thought about it a little more and think that a damage reduction multiplier for team damage would be the ideal solution to avoid people shooting without caring about teamm8s but at the same time random damage from teammates wouldn't hurt as much

Hmm a %50 damage reduction and getting higher TK points for consequtive team damage would stop the griefers in their tracks real fast. That way you still have to watch your shots like now and griefers would be having a harder time. Sounds like a win-win to me. But still it's not a decision to be taken lightly.

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
Friendly fire gives mb2 its charm. It should exist in every form it does now but I wouldn't mind there being a % modifier for teammates.

Bob-Billy

KotOR Mapper & Cultist
Movie Battles II Team
disable team damage by default
NO
Knockdowns from explosives and domino pushes should stay as is imo
YES
but stuff like kicking your teammates over or grappling them with melee kata/grip should not.
NO
I think it'd make MB2 just less frustrating to play in general
NO
when admins aren't around or are unwilling to take action
cc65f16ee40b4d61d39d31f5d676e18c.jpg
which is 90% of the time on EU servers
NO
throwing nades into an area with both enemies and teammates wouldn't be as bad as it is now
NO NO NO NO NO
it would also be easier to spam down corridors and lay down suppressing fire since you won't have to care about teammates strafing around in front of you
NO
accidental team damage which can be pretty annoying would no longer be a problem
NO
I personally think it would be worth at least testing out for a couple weeks
NO

Pretty simple proposal, and I am very curious to hear what the community/developers think
NO

Mr Happy Fridge

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Yeah I like the idea of adjusting tk damage.
Would be nice to be able to adjust it in the server.cfg, so server owners can choose to have 100% tk damage or 50% and so on.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Friendly Fire is fundamental to the game. I think the tk system could be tweaked. I have toyed around in my head thinking about changing how points are allocated - I.e. rather than using a flat value as we do at the moment, making it so the more you tk the faster you get points. Should punish people less for genuine mistakes, and remove trolls quicker.

Friendly fire is what makes me burst into laughter in this game. I love every stray rocket that destroys everyone. :D

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This is my feeling as well. It is part of our identity. The tk system itself needs updates though.
I did propose an idea for the tk punish system which tempest was trying to implement but apparently there were some bug(s) that he never got around to fix?

Fang

Donator
indirect assisted teamkilling should be counted tbh

example: mr blowthemup arc is firing rocket at jedi/sith getting me killed

Starushka

Movie Battles II Team Retired
TK logic/punishment issue.

- Should not depend on damage dealt but rather on actions were made. For example melee move is kinda hard to miss, it is not a blaster shot so it should give you much more TK points.
- TK assists should be implemented as well.
- If person constantly deal damage to you the menu should pop up with the question "The TK actions were made to you. Are they on purpose?" yes/no. You answer "Yes" the griefer's TK points limit instantly loses 200 points (if server have 400 limit griefer will have only 200).

- If person constantly deal damage to you the menu should pop up with the question "The TK actions were made to you. Are they on purpose?" yes/no. You answer "Yes" the griefer's TK points limit instantly loses 200 points (if server have 400 limit griefer will have only 200).

i like this phrasing a lot more than what we currently have for teamkills as well to be honest. punish/forgive probably makes people more likely to use it maliciously, if instead it was a question of intent maybe you'd see fewer !ps for honest mistakes