[Fixed] Crosshair moves when strafing in third person

cg_thirdPersonCameraDamp and cg_thirdPersonTargetDamp on 1 doesn't fix it.
EDIT: These cvars are not ignored, I can see the difference between 0.3 and 0.9 when turning, on strafing they are similar.
  • If I start my own server and join, it's fine for me, but only for me. Other players who have this problem still got dancing crosshair.
  • I can see the other players dancing crosshair if I spectate them.
  • Sometimes when I join a server it works. Only happened when I was alone on the server or everyone else were spectators. But it may not be related.
  • Even if I join an empty server it can be wrong.
  • It's not just about the server: eg. EU Duel2 was right once. Then it crashed. And now the crosshair is dancing again, although there were others playing when I joined now.
I am on Linux using OpenJK with lowest graphics. I turned off everything fancy. Old classbar, simple hud.

Last edited:
can somebody please make a video of this. I want to see how it looks like.

Because I don't have that problem.

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I noticed that this bug doesn't manifest itself with cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 0.6 and lower. Or, I'm just blind and don't see it - either way, on 0.7 and higher it is instantly nauseating, and 0.6 and lower feels like nothing got bugged.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah I noticed that too. Mentioned it in some other thread somewhere. So now I'm torn between trying to aim with an accurate crosshair that doesn't stay centered on my screen or trying to aim with the center of my screen (and no crosshair). Both actually seem pretty workable

Preston

Nerd
I noticed that this bug doesn't manifest itself with cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 0.6 and lower. Or, I'm just blind and don't see it - either way, on 0.7 and higher it is instantly nauseating, and 0.6 and lower feels like nothing got bugged.
What's the default value?

cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 0.3
it's no use
been playing with 0.9 values for a year now, it's much better (unless the bug occurs)

reposting old post just in case:
anyway, for me the only problem with 1.4 is a bug with the crosshair moving to the direction of strafing (only in third person)
i dunno what triggers the bug, but it didn't occur on AOD server, only on {BG}
inb4 it's not connected to cg_thirdpersoncameradamp or cg_thirdpersontargetdamp (my values are 0.9, the bug occurs regardless of value)
here's the vid of the bug:
here's the vid w/o bug:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
What changed that this changed?
Based on the fact that it sometimes doesn't happen, it seems to be a bug.

Not that that invalidates your question, but it makes it unlikely that anyone knows off the top of their head.

For me it's consistent the entire time.

How much it sways depends on the weapon type. It's got its pros and cons. For e-11 I find it helps. For single pistols, a bit dizzying.
For westars, while jetpacking - before I had to aim down my sights but now the crosshair is pretty much dead on even at full blaze jetpack.

I guess I've adapted.

Actually, just turned off widescreen in settings, put my fov halfway so I can only see torso when I'm centered. Found it helps me overcome the swaying mindtrix.

I joined to my local server with a second local client and the crosshair bug appeared. Maybe only client 0 is immune?

Helix

It is indeed so and we have tested it with @Stassin today.
The only client who is unaffected by this bug with both damp cvars set to 1 is client0.

i have this problem using my cfg but not when using m00's

i can send both to any interested devs for research purposes :^)

Stassin

Donator
i have this problem using my cfg but not when using m00's

i can send both to any interested devs for research purposes :^)
That certainly is weird. Yes, please send them to me.