Fall to death kill tagging

Not sure if this really counts as a bug, but I'd say a feature isn't working as it probably was intended, so let's say it's a bug.

Today I was playing on rebs and a wookiee barged past me, knocking me down the Death Star shaft to my death. The server stated I "fell to my death", it didn't tag my death as the wookiee's fault and thus I couldn't !Punish them.

There's also these weird situations where you shoot a guy, they fall to their death, but it counts as your kill at that point. Makes no sense.

Afaik any matter of knockdown, or even damage, that leads you to falling to a death zone should count as a kill.

If they hit ground before dying you wont get the kill. Most of the time when you shoot someone they still touch the ground before falling so it counts as falling to death.

It's been like that for ages. And...^ what?

My impression was it was largely about time. It's the same logic for assists. If they're not dead within x amount of time, you lose the tag(ur kill/assist mark for when they hit the ground/fall to their death/die in general.)

That's why some push kills - where they fall to their death - count and others don't. The threshold man, the chronal threshold. There might be some other factors like getups but someone else would have to say.

Can't understand what Gumba was rambling:)

What Gumba means is that basically if you get knocked off a ledge, but you're still in touch with ground after the effect of 'damage' fades, but fall from the physical momentum of the attack, you don't count as killed, but simply fell to your death.

So according to Gumba it isn't time based. It really should be. I'd rather have someone get a kill from shooting a guy once, but then having them fall down, than not be able to !punish teammates who intentionally knock me down the Death Star shaft.

You mean knocked off a ledge but not down from a ledge. Kind of like when someone pushes you while running and you get the kill if they fall off. But if they aren't knocked down but are pushed off the edge, fall death - no tk/kill?

Think of a damaging effect, like a wookiee charge or a blaster bolt being split into two effects: the damage, and the knockback. Basically, the damage comes first, then comes the knockback. The damage hits you, but there's also the knockback, but the damage effect is 'over' while you're still on the ledge, but the knockback is enough to push you off.

So the game knows you got damaged by someone, but since it doesn't know the knockback was caused by the damaging effect, because you were still on the ledge when the damage was over, it thinks you fell off on your own.

At least, that's how I understand it. Whether there's an actual knockdown or not doesn't seem to matter, as I was knocked down by the wookiee charge, but it didn't register as a kill, and I recall kinda 'sliding' off the bridge, instead of falling straight down from the knockdown/knockback effect.

Just find a buddy and experiment getting knocked down/off with various classes. I always thought it was a tagging and time issue for the most part. Not one or the other but combinations.

and I recall kinda 'sliding' off the bridge, instead of falling straight down from the knockdown/knockback effect.

Yea that's the difference, if you straight fall down after getting knocked down it will count as a frag/tk for the wook, but if you hit the ground knocked down and after that slide down to a pit, it will be "fell to his/her death". That's how I see it work.

A little update. Stood on the railings right outside the lifts of reb spawn on Deathstar. Wookiee barged me, I fell straight to my death without touching anything, but it didn't tag it as his kill.

Does the wookiee melee special have broken kill tagging in itself?

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
The way I believe it works is if you are knocked into the air by something and do not touch any other part object or surface in a map but then die from hitting the ground, it gives the kill to the person that caused it. But if you slightly brush on a wall or railing, or different floor before the death then it does not give a kill. Time doesn't really play a factor in it, I don't think, just the physical circumstances the game sees in what order.

User was warned for off-topic content/spam
Controversy! Conflicting viewpoints!!

Where are the devs to clarify! We have been abandoned and our imaginations are running wild! Naked!

Or...
There are gremlins in mb, gremlins!!

Try it with push 3 against level 2 strength wook. One time while he jumps, the other time he slides! You must experiment!

Or not. This is silly:)

A little update. Stood on the railings right outside the lifts of reb spawn on Deathstar. Wookiee barged me, I fell straight to my death without touching anything, but it didn't tag it as his kill.

Which part of the barge hit you? I mean the barge seems to hit multiple times if you take a full barge in your face. I would say 3 times. Did you take only the last hit? (so the barge started far from you)

I would say yes, and broken damage too. I remember as if you just barely get hit by a barge you only lose 5 hp, but if you take a full barge head on, it does around 70 dmg. Once I tested it on afk jedi, but it was at least a year ago, so I don't really remember.

The one that sent me down the shaft from the bridge was the sort that glances you, the wook barges past you but you get caught in the hit tracing.

With the one off the railings, I took the last bits of the animation in.

Since this topic there is an increasing amount of player using this bug on purpose..
Two different player on BG RTV serv this evening did it, it seems to work every times you are "barged" over and died in fall.

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Movie Battles II Team Retired

I will take a look at this and replicated based on this thread. But incase I can't can you please make a quick video/demo? Thanks.

PS: @Chaos the Chaotic please stfu this isn't the off-topic section.

If I had been smart I could've actually saved the demos since I record one each round, but I delete any that doesn't have mad skill kills so yeah, sorry. Anyone who plays on BG and is in the same team with that... What's his name? Whiskey something, ought to get barged from behind often enough for a few demos.