Droidka crash

So I posted in this thread yesterday here.
OpenJK crashes when switching classes (SBD, deka) | Movie Battles II Community
I just straight up crash when I pick Drodika. I never crash as a SBD only for droidka.
No tricks or anything I just join a server and pick that class, and just crash after the spawn count down.
I am effectively locked out of playing the droidka class.

I never have this issue with any other class except droidka, and I only had this issue since the last update.
No, regular win 7.
I managed to fix it, I just selected MB2 client under the launcher and stopped using steam to play.
The game looks like shit, but it doesnt crash.

Turns out I didn't fix it, I just started crashing again to day after picking the droidka class.
I just don't understand why the fuck I crash every time I am about to spawn when I pick this class. I can sometimes spawn as it just fine and not crash.
But now it started again like 7 out of 10 times I will crash when trying to play this class. And its only this class, I just don't understand.

Edit: Alright I think I figured out the cause.
I managed to play 35 rounds as this class on Jedi temple and death star, no problem.
But when I play as this class on maps like Coreilla and Com tower, I crash.

Could this be related to how spawn spacing works?
Because on death star and jedi temple, I notice I spawn further away from the rest of the team and there is this gap. But on corellia and com tower, people spawn right next to each other and sometimes on top of one another.

Is that why I crash? People spawn right next to me and the hitbox on the model cant take it?

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Cannot reproduce.
I played as droideka about 10 rounds on Corellia, ~14 people on server, 15 rounds on comm tower with ~28 players. Also dotf.
No crashes, though I have ordinal JA, no Steam.

What do you mean by crashing? Standard Windows dialog "X application has stopped working", or jamp console?

Upload your jampconfig.cfg.
Try different builds of class points, try different deka's skins, try different graphic settings.
Try renaming your config, play with default values.
Remove any replacement packs you have.
Repair an installation using Launcher.

You can try using jaMME, it displays widescreen HUD properly:
https://jkhub.org/files/file/1712-jamme

Cannot reproduce.
I played as droideka about 10 rounds on Corellia, ~14 people on server, 15 rounds on comm tower with ~28 players. Also dotf.
No crashes, though I have ordinal JA, no Steam.

What do you mean by crashing? Standard Windows dialog "X application has stopped working", or jamp console?

Upload your jampconfig.cfg.
Try different builds of class points, try different deka's skins, try different graphic settings.
Try renaming your config, play with default values.
Remove any replacement packs you have.

You can try using jaMME, it displays widescreen HUD properly:
https://jkhub.org/files/file/1712-jamme
Standard program has stopped working, I used the steam way with launch perimeters, and then stopped using the steam and using the mb2 launcher with mb2 as the selected client. so open?
The crash has happened on either way of playing the game.

I resized my window to a not wide screen resolution, and play it in windowed mode.
My config is the same as last time I showed you it.
I cant upload it now because im at the office but its the same except a different window resolution.
Its 1024x768

I don't have any replacement packs or skins or anything. I just straight up crash when I spawn as the droidka class. It kept happening on maps where people can spawn on right next to each other. I tried to record it crashing with bendicam but it didn't crash while I was recording.
I am going to try to get a video record of it happening later today.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
It is possible to crash on comm tower when spawning a droideka. The imperial spawn room isn't large enough to hold the proper amount of spawns (Droidekas require two spawns). Though we might be fixing that an entirely different way soon in the future.

No idea why you are crashing on Corellia though, that one is fine.

It is possible to crash on comm tower when spawning a droideka. The imperial spawn room isn't large enough to hold the proper amount of spawns (Droidekas require two spawns). Though we might be fixing that an entirely different way soon in the future.

No idea why you are crashing on Corellia though, that one is fine.
Are there any other classes that use two spawns?
Because what I would do is tie spawns to classes, and make a battleship formation with spawns.
Soldiers spawn here, jedi spawn here, ect.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Are there any other classes that use two spawns?

Just Droideka, needs one for the vehicle and one for the player, who is then forced into the vehicle. Nothing else uses vehicles. Though we are working on something that makes Droideka no longer a vehicle.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
The crash has happened on either way of playing the game.
Oh, I think I wasn't attentive enough... so you do crash no matter what engine you use? Then I guess jaMME won't help. :(
My config is the same as last time I showed you it.
I'm not sure I remember that... but anyway, your current config is needed.
I cant upload it now because im at the office but its the same except a different window resolution.
Upload it when you'll be able to.
I just straight up crash when I spawn as the droidka class. It kept happening on maps where people can spawn on right next to each other.
How many people are on the server when you usually crash?
How do you distribute points for a class?
When did you stat to experience this issue: from day one, or you were able to play as droideka at first?
Try renaming your config and play using default values.

Oh, I think I wasn't attentive enough... so you do crash no matter what engine you use? Then I guess jaMME won't help. :(

I'm not sure I remember that... but anyway, your current config is needed.

Upload it when you'll be able to.

How many people are on the server when you usually crash?
How do you distribute points for a class?
When did you stat to experience this issue: from day one, or you were able to play as droideka at first?
Try renaming your config and play using default values.

I have done 3 different build combinations with the droidka and used 2 different skins.
When I first started playing this game regularly, droidka was not an issue.

This started happening exactly after the last patch.
In-fact crashing was very rare pre-patch, now crashing is more frequent.

I don't have any saved builds, I use the default ones and just change points if I need too.
https://d2.maxfile.ro/twzakcskgp.cfg
Here is my jampconfig

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Confirmed. Now I experience crashes too.

Today I switched to @BigBossBigTeef config, connected to AOD server running Corellia map with 11 players, picked droideka, skin n2, versatile build, and game crashed to desktop just at very beginning of spawn.
That was a crash to Windows dialog "X application has stopped working...", no JA console.

Then I switched to my config, and crashed another 2 times in very same way. I didn't play a single round.
After that I successfully joined the game and was able to play normally few rounds until map had been changed. There was no difference in the way I launched the game except I added
Code:
+developer 1
to a command line, but I doubt it made change.
Then I played on gmpa.ru, Corellia for some time, game didn't crash. I turned off "+developer 1", connected again, no crash.

So I don't know why sometimes crashes occur and sometimes not, but I can confirm it happens.
Maybe droideka isn't compatible with some skin used by other players.
Maybe it's related to how server distributes spawn slots.

Last edited:
Confirmed. Now I experience crashes too.

Today I switched to @BigBossBigTeef config, connected to AOD server running Corellia map with 11 players, picked droideka, skin n2, versatile build, and game crashed to desktop just at very beginning of spawn.
That was a crash to Windows dialog "X application has stopped working...", no JA console.

Then I switched to my config, and crashed another 2 times in very same way. I didn't play a single round.
After that I successfully joined the game and was able to play normally few rounds until map had been changed. There was no difference in the way I launched the game except I added
Code:
+developer 1
to a command line, but I doubt it made change.
Then I played on gmpa.ru, Corellia for some time, game didn't crash. I turned off "+developer 1", connected again, no crash.

So I don't know why sometimes crashes occur and sometimes not, but I can confirm it happens.
Maybe droideka isn't compatible with some skin used by other players.
Maybe it's related to how server distributes spawn slots.

See!
I told you I wasn't crazy @Supa

So does this only happen on certain servers?
Or is it universal?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
See!
I told you I wasn't crazy @Supa

So does this only happen on certain servers?
Or is it universal?
Don't know, I don't have enough time for testing, and those maps aren't such popular as dotf is.
But which is more important, it isn't stable across even only one server, since I crashed once with your config, 2 times with mine and then joined successfully with my config. And all that on same AOD server, same map (Corellia), with minimum time difference.

So the problem is I can't provide reliable steps to reproduce this bug.

I am just happy with the fact it happened on your end and that I am not crazy as people called me during my play sessions.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I am just happy with the fact it happened on your end and that I am not crazy as people called me during my play sessions.
I looked at your config and a few things stood out as possible causes to me. Please try one at a time, with a restart of JAMP after setting, each of the following with spawning as Droideka:
r_modelpoolmegs 0
s_UseOpenAL 0

Could you guys upload like an offical jampconfig or some shit?
Because everyone's configs are nice and organized line by line where mine just looks like a pile of shit.
And I have no idea how that happened.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Could you guys upload like an offical jampconfig or some shit?
Because everyone's configs are nice and organized line by line where mine just looks like a pile of shit.
And I have no idea how that happened.
Starting a new config is pretty low effort. Just make a copy of your old one for backup, delete the original, start JAMP, set your graphics options / network settings, close JAMP, copy your binds from the old to the new, done.

Starting a new config is pretty low effort. Just make a copy of your old one for backup, delete the original, start JAMP, set your graphics options / network settings, close JAMP, copy your binds from the old to the new, done.
I did what you said with the commmands in the config and tested each one individually.
Even deleted my current configs and started new ones from scratch and used the commands.
I still crash as a droidka, I was on the GAR server when I tested the new config and was on the AOD rotation server when I tested the commands before starting fresh.

This sucks ass, I am locked out of playing a heavy gunner role for imperial team.

Mr. Boss,

I used to have this issue all the time when I played in first person. After switching to the camera exploiting third person ways, the problem vanished. Are you in first person when you spawn as a Deka?

I don't even get to spawn, it crashes to desktop.
It says that right there in the 1st post.

Last edited:
I mean when it is time to spawn. When I was in first person, the countdown would end and then my game would crash when it is time to spawn. Being in third person fixed this for me.

How do you change to third person if you crash before getting the chance?
Anyway I don't do first person on droidka, its like the class that needs that spacial awareness the most.