DOTF suggestion

OK so I have a bit of a crazy idea for DOTF, I'll probably get a load of hate for it cos all you weirdos love that map for some reason but I'll say it anyway.

Remove generator.

Just remove generator, shift imperial spawns to the bottom of the stairs towards the throne room, shift the the timer that opens gen doors to open the two side doors into current imperial spawn.

Basically the generator room is boring, you get force users camping out there dueling which takes ages, it's a huge choke point and is really important to hack the terminals so main doesn't fail. It's also pretty unbalanced for most gunner classes due to the gigantic hole. I think it'll also stop the map being bogged down in main since any snipers on imperial side will get flanked quickly.

The problem here is it'll likely become a bit unbalanced towards Rebels since the Imperials don't have the two easy choke points to hold so some other alterations would need to go in as well like perhaps make the area above the stairs to throne room a bit bigger and add some cover for imperials too.

Phelps

Donator
Well, since I began playing again, I have never encountered game being stuck at gen room. So I can't really give thumbs up to this idea.
The main reason for that of course is, in my opinion, removing side doors hacks from force field corridor to the beginning of gen room. That idea was really great.
And without gen room, it's not really Duel of the Fates, is it? Duel in gen room will not limit you to be honest. You can very well hack the sides, let duelers in their fun and go attack the throne. If you win, you hack the throne, ending the round. If you lose, all imps move themselves to gen room to kill of the Jedi.
Last part kinda is time wasting, but I have never seen that happen since the DOTF remap.

There is much that can happen in gen room, different from my description. But, we shall see, where your idea stands.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
DOTF is getting revamped very soon. Gen is one of the things that got taken care of. It wasn't removed because you can't entirely do that for movie, and even some gameplay reasons people don't seem to realize. Its capability to stall rounds has been severely crippled, and I don't want to say what it is because I like being evil. Not only that, but the pit area is removed because it no longer has use for the new objective.

Oh. Well that's cool I guess Mace.

And Phelps, the past 3 times I've played DOTF I've been stuck behind 3-4 Jedi who block the gunners from advancing because they want to duel the enemy Sith which then causes a massive choke in that little room preventing anyone from hacking thus main gets bogged down by sniper fire.

As for it not looking like Duel of the Fates? Fuck it, that part was a duel this is a team game!

DOTF is getting revamped very soon. Gen is one of the things that got taken care of. It wasn't removed because you can't entirely do that for movie, and even some gameplay reasons people don't seem to realize. Its capability to stall rounds has been severely crippled, and I don't want to say what it is because I like being evil. Not only that, but the pit area is removed because it no longer has use for the new objective.
The pit area could be used for duel-maps though, I hate that area in open mode to be honest, but I wouldn't like to see it removed as it's quite iconic and honestly, I kinda like the way the force-fields, gen and pit looks and feels.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The pit area could be used for duel-maps though, I hate that area in open mode to be honest, but I wouldn't like to see it removed as it's quite iconic and honestly, I kinda like the way the force-fields, gen and pit looks and feels.

It will still exist for the duel map. Was only speaking of the large assault map.

Please, for the love of god, just remove gen. It is almost half of the map and has very little purpose.

Phelps

Donator
And Phelps, the past 3 times I've played DOTF I've been stuck behind 3-4 Jedi who block the gunners from advancing because they want to duel the enemy Sith which then causes a massive choke in that little room preventing anyone from hacking thus main gets bogged down by sniper fire.

As for it not looking like Duel of the Fates? Fuck it, that part was a duel this is a team game!

To be honest, I can't give any counter argument other than my experience with that room you talk about, but I guess your playtime is bigger than mine these days.
Anyway, we have been proven by Smuggler, that little maps work very well. DOTF might very well get even better, if it gets smaller.
It's just a habit, I am using side way more than main, so it's just weird for me to picture entering right through the current imp spawn, that's it.

Anyway, we have been proven by Smuggler, that little maps work very well

Depends on the playercount to be honest. IMO Dotf is the best map to play 16/16 on right now, although it's still crowded it allows for solid gameplay for both sides. I'm fine with shortening gen room and removing pit, these were useless anyways. But if you shorten too much it could get worse for 32 players.

Anyway, we have been proven by Smuggler, that little maps work very well.
How exactly does that prove anything? All I see with higher player amount on that map is a deka/sbd/wook and nade spam and not much going on. May be fine for... 4v4, 6v6 max, but not for more.

Phelps

Donator
How exactly does that prove anything? All I see with higher player amount on that map is a deka/sbd/wook and nade spam and not much going on. May be fine for... 4v4, 6v6 max, but not for more.

My argument is not that good one. I have fun on that map. I really like it, but I guess that doesn't suffice as an answer. I guess Smuggler is more of a competitive map, with 5v5 players.
Gen room is okay for removing I guess, but it would make my DOTF experience weird to not enter through side corridor, which I use the most. It feels completely weird to just go for the doors that lead to imp spawn, but I guess that's just the habit talking.
I will try make my suggestion, how side can be handled, in Paint drawing, when I have the time, but since the map is going through the revamp, is there even a point, heh? I just dislike the idea of entering right through the imp spawn.

EDIT: My idea, when I drew it, was shitty. Gonna build up on what Ouj said.
1) Current Ouj idea is set the timer to doors to imp spawn and move imp spawn to throne corridor. I think in that case, we do not need to get rid of the side corridor, it will give way for a "long way" for rebs, but also third point, from which you can enter the imp spawn. That's one idea.

2) We could probably even move side hack panels to the position as in picture below, hidden behind current pillars there, so as it's not that easy as it is with timer. Imp spawn is moved to Ouj suggestion, so it's hard for saberists to reach it in time to block the flow of the game. Anyway, Deka's and Mando's can still get there in time, so that's another problem in my suggestion of not removing hacking panels. That can be solved by not putting a timer on the hangar doors to side. And also moving reb spawn in the middle of hangar. The thing is, I have made hacking panels useless for a gameplay, because rebs would always reach them in time to hack them, and Imps unable to stop them from it.
Maybe reduce the time it takes for doors from hangar to open? Not sure, we shall see, what new revamp will give us.

Sorry for the scale and crappy drawing skills.

xUsWv6m.png

Last edited:
Terrible idea, why keep an area what is unaccessable? It'd still use resources, generate lags, etc, but would be even more useless than it is nowdays. Simply keep the Hangar/Generator Room door closed, and make a new entrance/door for the Side Corridor in the Hangar. The secondary/side hack could happen elsewhere (where the imps would be any reason to defend it) or could happen automatically (just like the force fields are going down after X time on ComTower). Anyway, these are the minor problems with the map, because the objective type and the spawn locations make impossible for the Naboo to hack the objective, unless the TFed team abandon its defender role and go offensive. This is something what'd be priority and what requires more discussion how could be solved... the generator room removal sounds obvious: it would solve the time-wasting problem, the map wouldnt lose anything important, the gameplay wouldnt be damaged, and the loading would be quicker... it'd be a win-win for everyone.

Phelps

Donator
Terrible idea, why keep an area what is unaccessable? It'd still use resources, generate lags, etc, but would be even more useless than it is nowdays.

Hm, I guess you're right, haven't thought of it.

The secondary/side hack could happen elsewhere (where the imps would be any reason to defend it)

The Reb beginning of main corridor, maybe? But it might generate the same problem as with current position hacking panels. I guess using a timer on the doors seems like the best solution for getting rid of the whole gen area right now, for I or any other have not come with any better.

The invisible wall comment was a joke :D

Main reason I go side is because main is sniper fest. Side then gets clogged with the saber guys dueling and then I'm just sitting there for a bit while they kill each other cos if I get in I'll get pounced by the Sith and since it's chaos I can't move.

Thing is a lot of the older maps are balanced with 10vs10 in mind like Jabba is, dotf is good for larger player counts but the generator takes up half of the map and is only used in the first 30 to 60 seconds hence it's a bit unnecessary.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I really hope this new version of DotF is actually closer to how the movie was. The one currently kinda looks like it, but is really far off. Grapple hooks for rebs outside windows! It always bothered me how it was so far off from the movie. Jeez, at least a couple empty N-1 Starfighters in the Hangar... they didn't ALL take off.