Dev Diary - CTF Resupply & Map Updates

iwCSA26.png

shot2023-02-28_17-58-30.jpg

Resupply Nodes

In the next update to the Capture The Flag, Resupply Nodes are being added in order to give people opportunities to sustain the fight. These resupply nodes vary based on the needs of a given CTF level. In one map they may be situated near the flags or spawns and only the defending team may access them. On another level they may be more centralized requiring both teams to fight over access to them.

The parameters that resupply nodes have will also vary based on level. Health resupply nodes may supply both health and armor, or just one of the two. The same with ammo resupply nodes. Ammo resupply nodes may supply both weapon ammo, and expendables such as grenades or fuel, or also just one of the two types. Each node will also have varying parameters for the percentage of supply given to the user, how often a player can use a resupply node, how long the node is active after a trigger (such as a capture node), and how long a user must use the resupply node to be supplied with the given resource.

We decided on this route as it gives the level designer enough flexibility to create supply nodes that fit their level, rather than being shoehorned into a specific setup. This can give opportunities for the level designer to create additional places in the map for players to fight for, dragging them outside of flag areas. It can also give strong defensive flag positions with resupplies near flags, but lacking resupplies for grenades, rockets, etc. without pushing out or not at all.

shot2023-02-28_19-12-59.jpg
shot2023-02-28_19-09-50.jpg

New CTF Maps​

With the resupply update we will be releasing two new CTF maps. The first we will be showcasing is CTF Duel of the Fates by Spaghetti. This map takes components of the palace section of Duel of the Fates to create an asymmetrical CTF map with unique components and new areas added in.

CTF Duel of the Fates​

shot2023-01-13_17-50-32.jpg
shot2023-01-13_18-02-06.jpg
shot2023-01-13_18-01-29.jpg
shot2023-02-28_19-32-48.jpg
shot2023-02-28_19-32-57.jpg
shot2023-02-02_23-27-24.jpg

CTF Starkiller Base

The second level is a a reworked CTF Imperial using Starkiller Base assets to update the level to a proper size for MB2, and add new features and cover to support our gameplay.

shot2023-01-23_22-37-16.jpg
shot2023-01-23_22-36-56.jpg
shot2023-01-28_00-48-05.jpg
shot2023-01-23_22-36-39.jpg
shot2023-01-23_22-37-03.jpg
shot2023-01-23_22-37-29.jpg

mfbRn3E.jpg

CTF Map Updates​

With the update to include resupply nodes, some maps will be getting changes beyond just simply sprinkling a few resupply nodes around. An example being CTF Death Star with the main route out of both flag areas being reworked to split flow between routes more evenly, add more cover, and combat points rather than having a long straight hall prone to sniping.

CukiIy3.jpg

h18hVjW.jpg

All of this and more will be coming in the next update to Movie Battles 2. In a couple weeks we will be detailing a even more features coming soon as well as when you can play this in open beta to help us iron out the final kinks before the live release.

Sir.Muis

Internal Beta Team
Wow! You devs did some great work, on the CTF gamemode! Looking forward to see/play this updated version of CTF, with some nice new maps!🏴

This actually looks quite interesting I like the idea. Not necessarily the biggest fan of CTF game modes in general but I do think between the new maps which look great and the resupply idea it should make for some promising changes to the game mode as a whole

I've played mb2 CTF for the first time today, it was fresh and fun
bespin map may be simple but as a proof of concept it made a very good impression on me
while new dotf is one of the best maps in my opinion, I can't wait for CTF version!

Glad to see more work on CTF being done. While I personally find it fun in its current state I also find it understandable why a lot of players tend to dislike the gamemode. Adding more smaller objectives is a great idea and I’m looking forward to the new maps.

In my opinion CTF can be great for introducing new players to the game. It would be much easier for a new player to accumulate experience as they would not be stuck in spectate (albeit spectating good players is also a way to gain experience).

Hope to see this be a positive addition to mb2

Cheers