Defiant's Screed Against 24/7 Servers: A Humble Response from a Humble Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infraction: Trolling
I would have really loved to respond to this in the thread it was posted, or the one that was made after that one was locked, or the one after that, or the one after that, but the damdest thing is posts that discuss this issue keep getting locked. I'm assuming it's because Defiant and Mace stand by their words and aren't afraid to defend themselves. By now we're all familiar with this little nugget of PR excellence, so I'll just respond to it in little chunks, so as to avoid a wall of text.

There are no plans to force servers to use RTV, or rotations or anything else along those lines.

Will RTV be incorporated into the mod (rather than being an external program) - 100% yes (No time frame though).
Will it be enabled in the default server configuration - Almost certainly.
Will it be mandatory - Not under any present plans. I wont rule it out completely though.

I think we all need to appreciate the paradoxical stance of some members of this community. Some people using player choice as a reason to demand classic DOTF be brought back and then acting like scared little children the very first time they are confronted with the prospect of the community being able to choose which maps they play on via rtv.

Already these first two paragraphs are incendiary- forced RTV on all servers? MB2 Devs caring about community choice?
I'm sure having a compulsory RTV on every server wouldn't lend itself to any abuse from coordinated trolls, so I'll attack this from a different angle.

What you have here are two separate issues being homogenized into the issue of player choice. The first issue, which is a valid example of players losing their say, was when nuDoTF came out, and there was, for some reason, no option to have the old map. How quickly was classic_DOTF brought back after the revamp, buster? How many months of bitching about the new map did the playerbase have to commit themselves to before they finally were given their choice?

More importantly, what does removing a classic map from the game have to do with how a server owner manages their server? RTV has always been a choice for players, there have been RTV servers for as long as I've been on, and to be quite honest, I'd prefer it to 24/7 servers, save for the fact that hardly anybody plays them. It's entirely out of left field to call people who are ok with self-determination of servers and also prefer classic_dotf on the basis of choice hypocrites.

We need to bin the fallacy that NA players want anything different from EU players and look at why certain servers may have become the default choice for players in those communities.

At least half of tR's popularity stems from their leniency towards the use of slurs and epithets. I'm sure EU players would like something similar, at least the ones from Eastern Europe. The rest can be accounted for the ease and quickness of DS and DoTF rounds- there are slim pickings for maps that are fun and quick, and it's convenient to set the round limit to max so that the time spend loading the map is at a minimum. One solution to this might be better maps, but it's stupid to imagine that players won't prefer to play on their proverbial dust_II's and cs_offices 24/7.

There is no secret about historic abuse that may have contributed to the current state. No corrective action is really possible or even sought, but as a community we absolutely must remain aware that the situation in NA is not entirely the result of a natural community consensus it is to some degree the result of the will of a few being imposed on the will of the many through a campaign of harassment, where the message being sent was very clearly play our way or we will ruin the game for you.

Yeah, like when Mace pushed the hard-coded time limit into the game to oust RP servers, in a transparent, indefensible move to make people play the game his way? Maybe he knew better than the community what fun was, but maybe it was a needless and petty maneuver that cut off another avenue of enjoyment for this game.

I agree with you that the current, undesirable state of the game can be attributed to an exclusive cabal who are trying to change the game at the expense of fun and value, but I think we might disagree on which players those are, exactly. It might be the handful of players who use VPNs and join FA servers and TK until they get bored, but it also might be the guys who are implying that if server-owners who pay out of pocket to keep their games up don't play ball and find some way to populate servers that otherwise would not be populated, they'll lose their 24/7 servers.

There is, of course, a simple and eloquent solution if you want the community to command the destiny of this mod- it's a dirty pair of two words, just three syllables, that would put the onus of fixing maps that suck, creating new gamemodes, balancing, etc, all on the community itself, instead of our hard-working devs.

What are your thoughts on this debate? Be sure to make a new thread to respond to this, because that's the embarrassing state this exalted forum has degenerated to.

What are your thoughts on this debate?

my main thought is that you and many others seem incapable of reading or accepting someone else has a differing opinion. Defiant obviously doesn't like 24/7 servers and wishes they were not so dominant, but at the same time he has clearly stated on multiple occasions that RTV will NOT happen under any current plans. will not. will. not. case closed, enjoy your deathstar spam

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I'm assuming it's because Defiant and Mace stand by their words and aren't afraid to defend themselves.

We generally do not lock threads for that reason, unless its something we as a team have stated multiple times before. Those threads were generally locked for other reasons (even one by a community moderator who no one said anything to).

The first issue, which is a valid example of players losing their say, was when nuDoTF came out, and there was, for some reason, no option to have the old map. How quickly was classic_DOTF brought back after the revamp, buster? How many months of bitching about the new map did the playerbase have to commit themselves to before they finally were given their choice?

We have not released a classic version of a map immediately with a revamp. All of the classic versions were added later. DOTF was the same. We are the only group I am even aware of that releases a classic version of a map at all along side a revamped version. I wanted to get the classic version out sooner. I never lied about that.

Yeah, like when Mace pushed the hard-coded time limit into the game to oust RP servers

Where did you get that information? It is false. I have said many times that it was noticed in the first set of maps I released in my first release as a dev team member. I pointed out that my map had no timelimit to the team at the time, they told me how to fix as I missed a line in the .siege file and noted that it was supposed to be hard coded and they went and fixed the bug. It was not due to my doing, but I am going to reinforce that decision as I believe the time limit, objectives, friendly fire, etc are core parts of the mods design.

but at the same time he has clearly stated on multiple occasions that RTV will NOT happen under any current plans. will not. will. not.

Will it be mandatory - Not under any present plans. I wont rule it out completely though.

Yes. I am not ruling it out forever. I would rather the situation naturally improved than do anything to force the issue. If the situation changes (or refuses to change) all options remain on the table.

🤔

I pointed out that my map had no timelimit to the team at the time, they told me how to fix as I missed a line in the .siege file and noted that it was supposed to be hard coded and they went and fixed the bug. It was not due to my doing, but I am going to reinforce that decision as I believe the time limit, objectives, friendly fire, etc are core parts of the mods design.

Why not make it optional? What purpose does upholding the core parts of the mods design have for every single server but to exclude servers that might want to use the mod for something besides CS:Star Wars?

Nice job at misrepresenting qwertys statement.
Misrepresenting an argument that I replied to with quotes seems quite impossible. He asserted that Defiant said that under current plans the compulsory RTV system is not going to happen. I responded first with a quote that said nothing would be ruled out, and then with a quote that included conditions where compulsory RTV might be revisited. That's not a differing opinion- that's straight from the horse's mouth.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Games keep a standardized ruleset for various reasons. Whether it be so people know what they are joining into, so newbies can understand the game better, so balance stays consistent across servers in a given game mode. Sure, you could argue that some games like DOTA, Overwatch, etc have added an arcade mode separately to things. And I would agree with doing that, only after the population is high enough to maintain the core segment of the game. We are not large enough for facilitate that though. They also didn't add it for a long time either.

I have had this discussion plenty before, and I don't feel like going more into it than that. Plenty of resources for you to look up already and why certain things in game design are dependent upon the size of a community as well. For example, you cannot have proper ranked matchmaking without 10,000 people playing at any given time. Source: Valve on DOTA 2. Even if we wanted to add a ranking system in mb2, there isn't enough people in the community for it to function properly.

That's not a differing opinion- that's straight from the horse's mouth.

You missed the word "Current" in qwertys statement. Defiants statement is exactly that. There is no current plans. END OF DISCUSSION. Being open to something changing, like every normal rational human should be should some variable change, is not some abnormal thing to phone home about.

Last edited:
Games keep a standardized ruleset for various reasons. Whether it be so people know what they are joining into, so newbies can understand the game better, so balance stays consistent across servers in a given game mode. Sure, you could argue that some games like DOTA, Overwatch, etc have added an arcade mode separately to things. And I would agree with doing that, only after the population is high enough to maintain the core segment of the game. We are not large enough for facilitate that though.

Yeah good thinking Mace let's keep the scope of gameplay as narrow and repetitive as possible- that ought to foster population growth. Just keep doing that until we're in a safe spot where adding different rules can't hurt the game's population(as it is very likely to do, as opposed to people just continuing to play the base game if that's what they want). Nevermind all the players who prefered those RP servers when they were up- or however many more might have joined for that specifically and not the base game. Should be any day now, after however long this Mod's been up, I'm sure on a graph the population has been on an upward trend.

I mean seriously, how stubborn and obtuse! "No other gamemodes allowed until an arbitrary threshold of players are in my gamemode!"

You missed the word "Current" in qwertys statement. Defiants statement is exactly that. There is no current plans. END OF DISCUSSION.

Except he explicitly said if nothing changes(which is a sure bet if you look at the past two years and a half), then it's on the table.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
If you're going to continue to be disingenuous, and call me obtuse, while you continue to be deliberately obtuse about the meaning of current and further future, we're not going to continue having this conversation.

Conversations work best when the objective is to listen, and not respond.

Slash, I love you to death, and I'd hate to see you frustrated when you don't need to be, buddy.

You're being pedantic, I feel like you understand my concern isn't a belief that Defiant is going to add compulsory RTV next patch, but that it's even being considered an option, but please, disengage at your leisure!

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
There's a reason Defiant locked that thread. The topic should be considered off the table until such time as there's actually something new to argue over (hint: getting triggered because the project lead won't categorically promise anything and trying to stir up a fuss about something that hasn't happened and is not planned to happen isn't a great idea).

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
For the record. I did not lock that thread. I did infract you for this troll thread. It's already been said it's not happening stop trying to stir up trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.