Cvars suggestion :))

I would like to have the following cvars unlocked:

cg_gunX
cg_gunY
cg_gunZ
- all of these should be allowed to be set from -10 to 10. The only thing they do is change the position of your gun model in first person view. It doesn't affect ANYTHING else. For example, you could make gun models appear smaller by using high cg_gunX and negative cg_gunZ values. Or you could make them so big they'll take half of your screen. Preference!
cg_fov - please remove the infamous JKA cap of 97 and allow it to be changed up to 130. Quake Live has proven that changing this to some high value like 120 or 130 won't make you a pro or anything. It's just plain preference. Yes, with a high FOV you will see more, but it comes at a fair price of severely impacting your long range capability.

Coming from Quake and having played a lot Quake Live which has a lot of awesome customization options I would like to ask the dev team to implement the following cvars:
cg_screenDamage - if set to 0 should remove screen damage effects (green blobs when you get hit while having armor, etc).
cg_kickScale - if set to 0 should remove screen shake effects. Third person view doesn't have them anyway so why not give players an option to remove them from 1st person view?
cg_playerLean - controls the amount of leaning of player models when they move. If it's too much work to implement gradual settings like 0.1-0.9 then just allow us to disable it. You may suggest that it gives an unfair advantage, but think again. You won't be able to predict player movements so easily without it. I say it's preference.

Finally, we've discussed this one with Hexodious and we believe that com_maxFps shoudn't be allowed to be set lower than 60. I won't tell how to replicate the issue here lest we get more people abusing it so PM me if you need to know why this needs to be done.

I have fps capped at 30, my video card can rarely make 60 fps and 30 is usually stable. If 60 is the minimum I can't play anymore.

I have fps capped at 30, my video card can rarely make 60 fps and 30 is usually stable. If 60 is the minimum I can't play anymore.

If you're on a 30hz TV you won't see the difference beyond 30 fps anyway, and if you're on a proper computer screen the more fps the better. Consistently shitty fluidity < improved fluidity. So please, dear ser, fuck off with your petty trolling attemps. Thus, you can cap fps using external methods so I'm sure you will be able to get your beloved 30 fps if you would really want to. Cheers.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
You already have cg_fovAspectAdjust that fixes the fov for widescreens.
QL has proven nothing. Different PROes use different fov, but mostly it's not over 110.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
About com_maxFPS, it should be more or equal than your cl_maxpackets, and max is 100. And cl_maxpackets should be more or equal server's sv_fps, which is 20 by default. And some servers have it set to 30/40.
Summary:
com_maxFPS >= cl_maxpackets >= sv_fps
So basically your fps should be cap to at least 40 together with cl_maxpackets at least 40.
Also caping fps does not have any sense when your fps is not big (<250). When it is over 250, you may see connection interrupted on high ping.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
About cg_gunX/Y/Z. It is a good idea to unlock those and give some minimum range, but Quake 3 and Jedi Academy shooting are different.
Q3 projectiles always come from center of screen (thus from the center of a model in 3D world), but JA projectiles come from muzzle of a gun, so they are always offset to the right bottom corner and come from there. The muzzle position is different for every gun.
That's why Q3 crosshair is always centered but JA one is dynamic (it gets traced from muzzle to the shot direction).
If you change gun offset position with cg_gunX/Y/Z you may have wrong experience of shooting with guns, but ofc such a feature can have a chance to exist, but it won't make a big sense.

If you're on a 30hz TV you won't see the difference beyond 30 fps anyway, and if you're on a proper computer screen the more fps the better. Consistently shitty fluidity < improved fluidity. So please, dear ser, F**k off with your petty trolling attemps. Thus, you can cap fps using external methods so I'm sure you will be able to get your beloved 30 fps if you would really want to. Cheers.

Consistent framerate > sometimes having an extra frame. My monitor is 60 Hz, if my computers limit in the area is 50 fps, then it means 4/5 of the frames built in time, but 1/5 is missed a refresh and comes as next, making my cursor moving and turning speed semmingly half as fast for this frame. Those switching between full and half speed makes the cursor movement jerky and I'm unable to aim.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
This brings up a somewhat related question I've had for awhile.

Why don't servers have higher rate settings and sv_fps? Most are capped at sv_fps 30, and if you're lucky 40. Why not 90? I wonder what benefits you'd get for snaps 90 with a high sv_fps.

Same with rate, server caps it at 25000 or 35000. Does higher server FPS and rates not produce better gameplay or does it require superior server hardware? Why isn't a rate like 128000 relevant with newer internets?

ent

Movie Battles II Team
This brings up a somewhat related question I've had for awhile.

Why don't servers have higher rate settings and sv_fps? Most are capped at sv_fps 30, and if you're lucky 40. Why not 90? I wonder what benefits you'd get for snaps 90 with a high sv_fps.

Same with rate, server caps it at 25000 or 35000. Does higher server FPS and rates not produce better gameplay or does it require superior server hardware? Why isn't a rate like 128000 relevant with newer internets?
Good question.
At first, let's recall when Q3A (JA is based on its engine - for those who doesn't know) was released in 1999 and default value for sv_fps was 20. I guess it really mattered much for performance in those days.
For now we have most people on 60hrz monitors, so probably having sv_fps 60 would be good? Maybe. But there is a problem in math and precision with number of 60. Basically some things like velocity of entities etc depends on frame time, and frame time is stored integer. So when we want to count the frame time we devide 1000 (1 second) by 60 (60 times per second) and get the frame time ~16,6 which will be stored as 16 in integer. So we lose precision.
Any numbers that gets 1000 gets devided with have a reminder - bad numbers.
Having the number >60 is a bad option since the most users won't recieve some server packets.
The game is old and we often can see fps drops on low end machines and having a big number (sv_fps > user's fps) is a bad experience for users.
So probably the best number for server is 50 for modern computer users taht has no a reminder in deviding with 1000.
Making rate value higher has no sense, since we get all the data from server that we need with rate 25000. The max value is 90000 though.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Good question.
At first, let's recall when Q3A (JA is based on its engine - for those who doesn't know) was released in 1999 and default value for sv_fps was 20. I guess it really mattered much for performance in those days.
For now we have most people on 60hrz monitors, so probably having sv_fps 60 would be good? Maybe. But there is a problem in math and precision with number of 60. Basically some things like velocity of entities etc depends on frame time, and frame time is stored integer. So when we want to count the frame time we devide 1000 (1 second) by 60 (60 times per second) and get the frame time ~16,6 which will be stored as 16 in integer. So we lose precision.
Any numbers that gets 1000 gets devided with have a reminder - bad numbers.
Having the number >60 is a bad option since the most users won't recieve some server packets.
The game is old and we often can see fps drops on low end machines and having a big number (sv_fps > user's fps) is a bad experience for users.
So probably the best number for server is 50 for modern computer users taht has no a reminder in deviding with 1000.
Making rate value higher has no sense, since we get all the data from server that we need with rate 25000. The max value is 90000 though.

That is good to know. Thx.

I wonder if any server owners are willing/capable of setting it to 50 to test the difference? Duel servers would be ideal since you'd probably get more fps on one of them. Depending on the amount of ppl ofc.

You already have cg_fovAspectAdjust that fixes the fov for widescreens.
QL has proven nothing. Different PROes use different fov, but mostly it's not over 110.

It's proven that you should be able to use whatever you want. Personally, I like experimenting with FOV settings and what not. Also, what about the settings I've suggested like playerLean, kickScale and screenDamage?

About com_maxFPS, it should be more or equal than your cl_maxpackets, and max is 100. And cl_maxpackets should be more or equal server's sv_fps, which is 20 by default. And some servers have it set to 30/40.
Summary:
com_maxFPS >= cl_maxpackets >= sv_fps
So basically your fps should be cap to at least 40 together with cl_maxpackets at least 40.
Also caping fps does not have any sense when your fps is not big (<250). When it is over 250, you may see connection interrupted on high ping.

A good value (good in a way that it offers low ping) for cl_maxPackets is 23 if you also want to use com_maxFps 333. No console messages about lost packets at all. But yeah, you can't really go above 333 fps without "connection interrupted" messages coming up no matter your maxPackets value. I'm fine with 40/50 fps minimum cap as well to correspond with sv_fps, it just needs to have a cap > 30 fps.

Consistent framerate > sometimes having an extra frame. My monitor is 60 Hz, if my computers limit in the area is 50 fps, then it means 4/5 of the frames built in time, but 1/5 is missed a refresh and comes as next, making my cursor moving and turning speed semmingly half as fast for this frame. Those switching between full and half speed makes the cursor movement jerky and I'm unable to aim.

Shall I write a guide on how to achieve maximum fps? I'm sure it'll help you big time mate :))

Last edited:

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
If you're on a 30hz TV you won't see the difference beyond 30 fps anyway, and if you're on a proper computer screen the more fps the better. Consistently shitty fluidity < improved fluidity. So please, dear ser, F**k off with your petty trolling attemps. Thus, you can cap fps using external methods so I'm sure you will be able to get your beloved 30 fps if you would really want to. Cheers.
What does having a 30hz TV have to do with game FPS (I guess unless you're using your TV as your monitor but even so..film FPS and game FPS are completely different things)? Him saying that his computer has issues getting a consistent/stable 50-60 FPS and thus not wanting the minimum requirement for MB2 to be 60 FPS hardly makes him a troll. No need to be so obnoxious, especially if it's just for the sake of spiting someone's comment that doesn't agree with what you want.

What does having a 30hz TV have to do with game FPS (I guess unless you're using your TV as your monitor but even so..film FPS and game FPS are completely different things)? Him saying that his computer has issues getting a consistent/stable 50-60 FPS and thus not wanting the minimum requirement for MB2 to be 60 FPS hardly makes him a troll. No need to be so obnoxious, especially if it's just for the sake of spiting someone's comment that doesn't agree with what you want.

It has to do exactly what I've said. Have you ever tried gaming on a 30hz TV screen?

Yeah I went hard on the lad there and I'm willing to help him get better FPS :/
Wish I could just openly say why I want the cap to be as high as possible though. As I mentioned before, you can cap framerate at drivel-level if you really need to do so it's not that this change would put him at a disadvantage or anything.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
A good value (good in a way that it offers low ping) for cl_maxPackets is 23
And you move very laggy from other's people POV, because server updates you pretty rarely. And what about sv_fps > 23? You won't be even sync'ed with server.
And my favorite myth about ping. Ping is a real world physical delay that is between you and end server. And there is no any programmatical way to lower the number of physical delay.
The only way to lower your ping is to connect to a closer server and get closer yourself.
The fact that you see lower ping with lower cl_maxpackets is because the game counts it wrong.
Use cl_maxpacket >= sv_fps (at least 40).

And you move very laggy from other's people POV, because server updates you pretty rarely. And what about sv_fps > 23? You won't be even sync'ed with server.
And my favorite myth about ping. Ping is a real world physical delay that is between you and end server. And there is no any programmatical way to lower the number of physical delay.
The only way to lower your ping is to connect to a closer server and get closer yourself.
The fact that you see lower ping with lower cl_maxpackets is because the game counts it wrong.

Yep, just tested it and it actually makes a little difference. 125 appears to be a bit smoother than 23.

Last edited:

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
It has to do exactly what I've said. Have you ever tried gaming on a 30hz TV screen?

Yeah I went hard on the lad there and I'm willing to help him get better FPS :/
Wish I could just openly say why I want the cap to be as high as possible though. As I mentioned before, you can cap framerate at drivel-level if you really need to do so it's not that this change would put him at a disadvantage or anything.
Most people probably aren't playing on a TV in the first place which is why I was questioning the relevance. Don't really see how forcing people to do extensive external configuring to cap FPS for the sake of having mb2 limiting what's set in game would be a good decision.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
so what are the odds of any cvar values that let you seem very laggy to other players getting removed/locked? Laggy targets are harder to hit. It seems like just good fortune that certain settings aren't already being abused, if i'm understanding their function correctly.

(although i imagine even with any kind of setting like that locked, people could still induce lag on themselves in other ways.)

Is this why damp angles from base were removed? I used to love these camera angles for videos.

cameradampangle

Dampvectorspring

thirdpersoncameradamp

cg_thirdpersontargetdamp

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
thirdpersoncameradamp and thirdpersontargetdamp are still completely customizable.

no comment on the other two, since i've never heard of them before now.

so what are the odds of any cvar values that let you seem very laggy to other players getting removed/locked? Laggy targets are harder to hit. It seems like just good fortune that certain settings aren't already being abused, if i'm understanding their function correctly.

(although i imagine even with any kind of setting like that locked, people could still induce lag on themselves in other ways.)

They're actually abused a lot, at least in EU region. That's also another reason why I proposed 60 fps low cap instead of 30.