Awaiting feedback Config resets in 1.6

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
There are scattered reports of configurations being reset more frequently in 1.6. So far we are having issues reproducing this internally in any consistent manner, so are looking for feedback to help narrow a cause for debugging.

If you are experiencing this please compile the following information and post it here:
  • Engine you are using (JAMP or MBII/OpenJK - you can check in launcher settings)
  • File system path to your Jedi Academy's install (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData)
  • Operating system
  • Whether you use extra configs for changing between binds, and if so, any pertinent details on those.
  • If you have a backup of your config and it resets every time you launch, please attach a copy of that config.
Copy this template for posts:
Code:
[LIST]
[*]Engine: (JAMP or OpenJK)
[*]Install path: (path to GameData)
[*]Operating system: (Windows/MacOS/Linux)
[*]Bind configs or macros: (no/yes - describe)
[*]Config file that gets reset: (no/yes - attach)
[/LIST]

I've had this problem. It's not the worst thing ever since I have backups but it's a bit annoying having to go and put my config back every time after I close the game. It seems to be specifically triggered by closing the game or opening the game again after a previous session, as it's only happening once I quit the game then restart.

• Engine: JAMP
  • Install path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData
  • Operating system: Windows 10
  • Bind configs or macros: The only "extra" configs I have are the OpenJK and MyConfig ones. I don't think I've ever used them.
  • Config file that gets reset: Yep

The config attached is pre-wipe, BTW. If me posting the post-wipe config would help you at all just let me know.

Attachments

• jampconfig.cfg
    14.5 KB · Views: 455

Karus

Donator
Also had this problem. Funnily enough, the first update (1.6) didn't reset my config. However, I had to do a small update the other day, (not 1.6) and it reset my config.
  • Install path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData
  • Operating system: Windows 10 LTSC
  • Bind configs or macros: No
  • Config file that gets reset: Yes
Additional Information: I must add this doesn't happen EVERY time I launch. It simply happened after a small download from the Launcher. Though as I indirectly stated above there seems to be a random incosistency to people's config's being reset.

Attachments

• jampconfig.cfg
    13.3 KB · Views: 337
I've had this problem. It's not the worst thing ever since I have backups but it's a bit annoying having to go and put my config back every time after I close the game. It seems to be specifically triggered by closing the game or opening the game again after a previous session, as it's only happening once I quit the game then restart.

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Bind configs or macros: The only "extra" configs I have are the OpenJK and MyConfig ones. I don't think I've ever used them.
  • Config file that gets reset: Yep

The config attached is pre-wipe, BTW. If me posting the post-wipe config would help you at all just let me know.
Alright, so just a quick update and possible fix for anyone:

I wrote down all my settings and then discard the file that was being reset, and then copied all my settings from the writings into the new config to make it virtually the same as the old one, and it now works fine. No resets. I've attached the new one in case it helps you to compare the two.

Attachments

• jampconfig.cfg
    9.9 KB · Views: 375

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Nothing I could spot settings wise looks wrong. The main difference with Jones' old config is it has lots of server-side cvars too (implying a self-hosted game was made at some point on the client). This makes me think there's some cvar or config file size limit that once exceeded the game will discard it and start with a new config (erasing the old once saved).

Once I have time I will try to find the threshold by trial and error (figuring out if it's cvar count or file size would be a big clue for coders), but anyone else is free to experiment and share their results too.