Can't join a server, when my brother is in it.

So I had Movie Battles 2 for a while now, almost 9 months and I always run into the issue of not being able to join my brother's server he is in. It would not appear in the server list, and if I would restart my pc/game, it would not work either. I tried to direct connect through the console(connect {server ip}) yet that does not work either. I would favorite it as well and try to join, but the server would appear with 0/0 players and it would only show the ip as the name, and If i connected, It would not work. In some rare cases the server would pop out, and i would be able to join, but I would like to avoid waiting for hours for it to appear. If anyone has a solution, I would like to see that.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
What is address of that server?

Does that server appear in the lists of other people?

If it does, it means that there is something wrong on your side, probably a firewall.

If it doesn't, server is not set up correctly, most likely due to a lack of port forwarding.
Your brother must configure his router and firewall in order to other people could play on his server.

It's not his server, it's a public one. (173.234.30.34:26745 is the ip). The problem is that it is difficult for my brother and I to join a server together, because, if he were to join a server, I would not be able to see that server, If I were to join a server, he would not be able to see that server. If we were to favorite that server, we would only see the ip as the name, and it would say that there would be 0/0 players. Sometimes on a rare occasion, I would see the server he is in, and I would be able to join.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
It's not his server, it's a public one. (173.234.30.34:26745 is the ip). The problem is that it is difficult for my brother and I to join a server together, because, if he were to join a server, I would not be able to see that server, If I were to join a server, he would not be able to see that server. If we were to favorite that server, we would only see the ip as the name, and it would say that there would be 0/0 players. Sometimes on a rare occasion, I would see the server he is in, and I would be able to join.
How your and your brother's Internet connections are organized?
Are your PCs connected to same router? Do you share same IP address?

Do you have this problem on other public servers?
Are you able play together on other servers?

What happens when your brother is on that server and you're connecting to it, exactly?
Any error messages? "that does not work either" doesn't tell me a lot...

If you and your brother share same IP, and you can connect any other server at same time, I believe this is because of AOD's anti-vpn: SERVER - AOD VPN Protection

Yeah, you can go the technical route. Which really, who can understand half of it anyway:)

I propose a simpler solution.

Eliminate the source of your problem altogether. Get rid of your brother.

Elegant in its simplicity. Truly, flawless. Your welcome. Feel free to thank me:)

"What happens when your brother is on that server and you're connecting to it, exactly?"
If I were to connect, it would say "Awaiting Connect...." and the counter would go up forever.
Most likely, having the same IP is the issue. Any other recommendations other than Chaos's statement?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
If I were to connect, it would say "Awaiting Connect...." and the counter would go up forever.
Most likely, having the same IP is the issue.
I doubt, since I was able successfully connect to AOD with two clients running on same computer simultaneously, so I guess same IP isn't actually a problem.
That all is pretty strange, though.

And you didn't answer this question:
Do you have this problem on other public servers?
Are you able to play together on other servers?

c709933c3a2c.png

Well it seems hamachi was not the fix...
It just so happens when I turned it on yesterday, we saw the same server and we were able to join it.
To answer your questions

"Do you have this problem on other public servers?"
Yes
"Are you able to play together on other servers?"
If we were able to see the same server without it not being there, yes.

If it's not an IP issue then what is it? How could one of us not see the server list while the other can? It is most likely an ip issue...

What I also do not get is that, why doesn't log me in hamachi work for Movie Battles? It's main purpose is to establish a connection over the Internet that emulates the connection that would exist if the computers were connected over a local area network.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
If we were able to see the same server without it not being there, yes.
Not sure what this supposed to mean -- could you explain it better?

Anyway, it needs more tests (direct connection, no Hamachi!).
Are you able to play both at same time on different servers?
Are you able to play both at same time on same server with some other online game? Base Jedi Academy, some other games?

"Not sure what this supposed to mean -- could you explain it better?" - If it is on the list, and we both can see it, we could join it together.

"Anyway, it needs more tests (direct connection, no Hamachi!)." - What do you mean?
"Are you able to play both at same time on different servers?" - Yes
"Are you able to play both at same time on same server with some other online game? Base Jedi Academy, some other games?" - Yes we can, Movie Battles is the only game that I experience this problem.

By the way, we tested something out.

-He left the server, and a few minutes later, I looked at the server list, and asked him to go look at the server list as well,
No servers are showing up for him at all, but only I can see the full server list...

So for sure there is a connection between both computers...

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
If it is on the list, and we both can see it, we could join it together.
Well, that's logical, since appearance in the list requires a successful direct connection to a server.
Base Jedi Academy, some other games?" - Yes we can, Movie Battles is the only game that I experience this problem.
Really strange.
Since you and your brother can play on same server simultaneously with other games, that means your network is probably fine.
But not being able to connect, with message "Awaiting connection..." indicates that there is something wrong with network to a server.

Try this:
  1. Let your brother join some server, but take an ip of that server.
  2. Make sure you can't see that server, as well as you can't connect it.
  3. Start => Run => type:
    Code:
    cmd
    press Enter => type:
    Code:
    tracert IP_ADDRESS_OF_SERVER
    press Enter.
  4. Wait till it complete.
  5. Post a screenshot here, like this one:
e7a07e71cb65.png

You know, most every issue with the mod now seems to be the launcher.

Two exact ips on the mb launcher? Might be some sort of defense against attack the devs put in. Damn them! Damn them and their trickiness!
And I also want to say ports and blocking access. It comes from the nether regions from whence I studied technology, those years ago.
But alas, I fell down the path of piracy and never looked back.

Yeah I assume so a swell Chaos, we we able to connect to the same server and play fortunately.

It says "Unable to resolve target system name (ip of the server)" ???

Attachments

• cmdthing.png
    cmdthing.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 254

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
It says "Unable to resolve target system name (ip of the server)" ???
Why did you put port number (29070) after ip address?!
Tracert doesn't work this way, please, repeat all steps from my previous message again and post a new screenshot.

Good:
Code:
tracert 64.94.95.147
Bad:
Code:
tracert 64.94.95.147:29070

A friendly reminder:
You're supposed to run tracert ONLY when you can't connect a server (when your brother have already joined that server).
IP address passed to tracert must be an IP address of server where your brother is.

cmdthing2.png

I cannot connect to the server(Because of my brother playing on it),
so I ran the tracert

(sorry for week delay)

ent

Movie Battles II Team
I doubt, since I was able successfully connect to AOD with two clients running on same computer simultaneously, so I guess same IP isn't actually a problem.
That all is pretty strange, though.
Same IP doesn't matter, same port does.
I guess trying to play the game from the same machine is fine since the router you are using in internal/virtual (the Windows one) and it forwards ports properly.
But those guys are using different machines and the port forwarding is external is as we see is wrong.
I may be wrong in my conclusions though.
Btw, I have the same problem when I connect from both PC and phone.