Adding BP regen in Open after killing jedi/sith in duel

Hi. There is an idea that crossed my and some other players minds. Right now, dueling 1vs2 and more opponents in Open mode is quite hard and you can win only if you are lucky enough. Also dueling saberists one after another right now has its limits.
I would like to offer new mechanic for dueling system: after killing an opponent, winner will regen his BP like in Duel Mode, not 100% but 1/3 of BP. Another variant is instant regen 50% of BP you have left after killing an opponent, like player has 50 BP left after winning a duel, so he would regen 25 BP instantly.
I think this system would make winning duels more rewarding and dueling against more than 1 opponents possible.

NOTE: this regen system should work only after killing Jedi/Sith, killing gunners shouldn’t regen BP

the values would have to be tweaked but I think it would be good to reward higher skilled players in open who currently have little to no chance against two or more competant players

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
This is not like HP where you cannot regen it so you need some other way to heal. BP regenerates automatically. It would really devalue all skill involved in 1v2 if you just got BP back by killing someone.

The way to make 2v1 a thing is to increase the skill-ceiling and make the game less forgiving of fundamental mistakes.

A bad example of this is to increase interrupt damage. This works directly against good 1v2 gameplay. Relying on high interrupt damage for faster duels in open mode is terrible, and it gets even worse if you're trying to fight against several people just flailing at you.

What you need is an abundance of solid tricks and small subtle details that a skilled player can bring into action to stand against adversity. I'm talking about things like swingblocking vs not-swingblocking, hitting Mblocks and mblock counters, Neutral block(Old PB) damage reduction of 20% or more, which basically means that flailing attacks deal less damage than well-aimed attacks and that if you position yourself well you can mitigate damage from the one you cannot PB simply by putting your saber in the way.
All of these things are based on skill and higher level players will be able to use those things to their advantage and win a 1v2.

The above sort of thing combined with less random damage aka more consistent and predictable damage, will go a long way towards fixing 1vX. A more volatile system with higher damage + higher regen + boons on PB + bringing back consistent counters in the form of MBC, would pretty much solve it. In addition, you could bring back other tools by giving specific styles bonuses. Staff and duals would benefit from the neutral block(old pb) damage reduction in a 1v2. If red Mblock counters staggered, you could switch to it when you were about to be hit, pull of a skilful mblock counter with red and stagger the opponent, giving you some breathing space, and so on. There are many ways to help 1v2 along, but I certainly don't think granting BP on kill is the way. It is inelegant and promotes less skill rather than more skill.

This is not like HP where you cannot regen it so you need some other way to heal. BP regenerates automatically. It would really devalue all skill involved in 1v2 if you just got BP back by killing someone.

It depends on the level of skill required you think is adequate to have a chance in Xvs1 vs X players who know a little bit about dueling and who swingblock/pb from time to time. If it should take someone who grinded dueling mechanics and has no problem with, for example, reliable mbing then the game is fine where it is. If you are not on that skill level then your chances at 1vsX thinking saberists are little unless you have enough space to employ shadoswinging/spam&run tactic.

It is inelegant

Thoughtful rebalance is always better than band-aid solutions, but this simple if inelegant mechanic would probably be far easier to implement and thus have far higher chances of actually making it to the game if community thought its a good idea

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
It depends on the level of skill required you think is adequate to have a chance in Xvs1 vs X players who know a little bit about dueling and who swingblock/pb from time to time. If it should take someone who grinded dueling mechanics and has no problem with, for example, reliable mbing then the game is fine where it is. If you are not on that skill level then your chances at 1vsX thinking saberists are little unless you have enough space to employ shadoswinging/spam&run tactic.

Thoughtful rebalance is always better than band-aid solutions, but this simple if inelegant mechanic would probably be far easier to implement and thus have far higher chances of actually making it to the game if community thought its a good idea

I've done a bit of 1v2 on dueling servers where BP is refilled after kills. It trivializes it too much and makes it easy for me to just hop around and aim for mblocks, and as long as I can cheesily kill one guy I can restore to full bp and win without effort. It feels bad and shallow and way too easy for me even though I am 1v2. I'm sure it also feels like crap for the two duelists that, while being weaker, were working together to drain the BP of their opponent. It isn't right because it not only devalues the skill that it takes to 1v2, but it also devalues the effort of the two people working together against a superior duelist to slowly grind him down.

To win a 1v2, in general, you need to be better than any one of the opponent duelists and you need to know how to move around so that you're not getting flanked. I don't think you should be twice as good to win a 1v2, but you should at least be 1/3 better and have a strategic grasp of movement and enemy manipulation and tricks etc.

Right now, I can defeat 2 mid-tier duelists relatively easily in duel mode, but will have a very hard time in open unless I run away and try to get mblock kills. It is too imbalanced. It needs to be a middle ground as I explained in my previous post and as a solution, getting BP for killing someone is just wrong in open mode.

you're right that 1vX saber fights have been bad for awhile, I believe this is because you're forced to look at your oponent in order to block them which severely limits the movement options you have, movement only becoming more important as you're outnumbered and trying to defend your back.

this "solution" wouldn't really help the situation when it's so fundamental. you can throw hundreds of free BP points into the game and still have 1vx devolve into someone getting overwhelmed and backwhacked.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Agree with a lot of what SeV said.

I can't remember the last time I was able to pull off a 1vX feat that I did years ago; it could be age, but the ego in me puts it down to the system currently not allowing for it to happen - even if (as already mentioned above) the skill disparity between the combatants is rather huge.