A simpler saber system?

I know there have probably been millions of threads like this, but is it possible we can get a better saber system that's just simpler?

I like to play this game casually, and I like it a lot. But I truly avoid sith and jedi COMPLETELY just because of the sabering.
I don't get frustrated at games easily, but when it comes to the sabering in this game, I go completely off. I just don't like how I have to fight someone worrying about fp, bp, pb, manual blocking...?, aiming my crosshair a certain way, worrying about my surroundings, attacking in 9 different directions, using special class buttons to knockdown, using special abilities, dodging special abilites...

I just feel like as a casual player, I do not have time to sit down and learn this super completely complicated saber system like it's a full time fucking job. I just want to pick up some lightsaber, and go at it with a sith, while having fun and everyone knows whats going on.

50% of the time I either die from some dude who has like 1200 hours and learned every little complexion of the saber system, or the other 50% of the time I die from a guy who is just as confused as me as we both just try our best to learn what the hell is happening. At the end of it all, I just die and think "wow i have absolutely no idea what happened, and that wasn't even enjoyable at all."

I just feel like it should be simpler and more enjoyable, and not something like CSGO where you have to train 5 hours a day just to understand how to aim your weapon.

(Note: I'm not saying it should be baby-easy or skill shouldn't be involved, but I should be able to play and die as a saberist without feeling like I died because the shit i have to do just not to die is so complicated)

I mean let's be real with eachother, am I the only one who just dies in 5 seconds as a saberist because i have no idea what the fuck im supposed to do and it just doesn't feel like any fun?
I understand a lot of people will say "take the time to learn it. That simple" Well yeah, games require training to be GOOD at, but I don't want to have a second full time fucking job where I have to memorize and stress about learning some shit in a star wars game... I should be able to pick it up, play, and die because I put up a good effort, not because I got obliterated by 50 different invisible mechanics that make no sense.

I also didn't mention the 8 different saber styles (dual,purple,red,blue,yellow,doublebladed,cyan) that all do different things that you have to worry about as well.

NO absolutely not if this game becomes any fucking simpler itll just go straight to hell the current system is already braindead enough as it is so if u cant deal with just don't play the class man. If u don't wanna put in the effort or time to bother with sabering then u shouldn't be worried about losing duels.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I just don't like how I have to fight someone worrying about fp, bp, pb, manual blocking...?, aiming my crosshair a certain way, worrying about my surroundings, attacking in 9 different directions, using special class buttons to knockdown, using special abilities, dodging special abilites...
MBII is a multiplayer shooter game, so it's a given you'd need to worry about aim, positioning, multiple targets and teamwork on top of abilities and cooldowns. It's not the same as a fighting game. MBII is indeed particularly complex for a shooter in terms of the intricacy of its gameplay mechanics, but on the other hand it is 3rd person which gives view around corners and is relatively lax on aiming since most weapons have spread, aren't hitscan and have large ammo clips and ammo reserves.

MBII is a multiplayer shooter game, so it's a given you'd need to worry about aim, positioning, multiple targets and teamwork on top of abilities and cooldowns. It's not the same as a fighting game. MBII is indeed particularly complex for a shooter in terms of the intricacy of its gameplay mechanics, but on the other hand it is 3rd person which gives view around corners and is relatively lax on aiming since most weapons have spread, aren't hitscan and have large ammo clips and ammo reserves.
He's talking about sabering lol

Thanks for an actual in-depth counter argument isntead of "lol ur bad dont play"

I understand it's more complicated and thats the way it's meant to be, but I just feel like anyone should be able to pick up jedi/sith and be able to at least try to have fun playing it and be decent. I just don't feel like it should be a chore just to learn what's even happening and all the 25 different invisible mechanics are.
The reason I play this game instead of any other starwars game is because it's fun, and has a bit more higher skill level, and more mechanics that make it fun. That being said, too many mechanics exist, like sabering.

Battlefront 2
The reason I play this game instead of any other starwars game is because it's fun, and has a bit more higher skill level, and more mechanics that make it fun. That being said, too many mechanics exist, like sabering.

Also, you forget MB2 isn't owned by EA

NO absolutely not if this game becomes any fucking simpler itll just go straight to hell the current system is already braindead enough as it is so if u cant deal with just don't play the class man. If u don't wanna put in the effort or time to bother with sabering then u shouldn't be worried about losing duels.
You call this game "Braindead simple"
There are far too many mechanics for this game to be braindead. There's so much going on it takes quite a bit of situational awareness and thinking.
???
I like to say this nicely: I personally think you may have put too many hours in the game, so if it were to change to make it easier for people who don't have as much time to learn stuff as you do, you wouldn't like that.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
He's talking about sabering lol
Right, but the same applies to mb2's sabering, it's just even more lax than mb2's gunning, yet still much closer to a shooter than a fighting game.

Thanks for an actual in-depth counter argument isntead of "lol ur bad dont play"

I understand it's more complicated and thats the way it's meant to be, but I just feel like anyone should be able to pick up jedi/sith and be able to at least try to have fun playing it and be decent. I just don't feel like it should be a chore just to learn what's even happening and all the 25 different invisible mechanics are.
No i really don't think the intricacy of the mechanics is a problem. When discovering the game, as with any game, one will necessarily focus only on a few of the more important and/or visual mechanics and have fun playing around them, then over time gradually integrate the rest little by little (granted, in mb2 this integration can be particularly long since the documentation explaining the mechanics and abilities isn't very well-developed). Now, what can be frustrating and not that fun is getting run over by people who've been integrating the whole game for freaking years, because then the few important mechanics will never be enough and there's too much info everywhere to keep up. No matter how good you are at video games it's still gonna take months, or at least weeks if you play a ton, to integrate most mechanics and start keeping up. But i don't think the game is at fault there, rather the fact that players of all experience levels are completely mixed up, which can sometimes be part of the fun but not always.

From what i can see though you aren't exactly new to the mod, but rather play on and off. Still i think the same argument applies, the issue is encountering other players who keep tryharding and play alot. In open mode where you have a team it isn't so bad and can actually be enjoyable when the opposing teams have similar numbers of tryhards and casuals, but yeah in sabering this isn't fun at all because it's 1v1 (would be a different story in jed/sith team battles though). Playing 1v1 against much weaker or much stronger opponents is never enjoyable and almost always boring because it's completely one-sided, neither parties are able to showcase the extent of their skills and the outcome is already known. Although personally i think playing vs a stronger opponent is more fun than playing vs a weaker one, when the gap is too large it is simply boring in both cases. So anyways i don't think the gameplay mechanics of the mod should be blamed here, but rather the issue is finding opponents of similar skill level, whichever it is, to fight against in 1v1.

Naming some of the "excessive" mechanics would be nice.
Fp range drains, fp drains for each gun, fp when running, walking, or blocking, fp itself, how much each force power drains fp, bp, how each style drains bp, how bp is drained by doing things like jumping, how much bp you lose/gain by pbing, pbing, how to pb, how many ways to pb, pbing others, where to put your crosshair during a pb, how to mb, which way to move during a mb, special moves with styles, all different moves with styles, damage the styles do, special abilities with styles, how to combo, how to kick with a saber, acm, how to lose acm, how to gain acm, bp/pb for acm, bp regen, ap, parrying, how to parry, when to parry, what does parry do, class loadouts, what loadouts to build, nudging, acm thresholds, how much acm you gain on each combo swing, how much fp specials use,

That's a few I can name after a few years of playing JUST for saberists.

Right, but the same applies to mb2's sabering, it's just even more lax than mb2's gunning, yet still much closer to a shooter than a fighting game.

No i really don't think the intricacy of the mechanics is a problem. When discovering the game, as with any game, one will necessarily focus only on a few of the more important and/or visual mechanics and have fun playing around them, then over time gradually integrate the rest little by little (granted, in mb2 this integration can be particularly long since the documentation explaining the mechanics and abilities isn't very well-developed). Now, what can be frustrating and not that fun is getting run over by people who've been integrating the whole game for freaking years, because then the few important mechanics will never be enough and there's too much info everywhere to keep up. No matter how good you are at video games it's still gonna take months, or at least weeks if you play a ton, to integrate most mechanics and start keeping up. But i don't think the game is at fault there, rather the fact that players of all experience levels are completely mixed up, which can sometimes be part of the fun but not always.

From what i can see though you aren't exactly new to the mod, but rather play on and off. Still i think the same argument applies, the issue is encountering other players who keep tryharding and play alot. In open mode where you have a team it isn't so bad and can actually be enjoyable when the opposing teams have similar numbers of tryhards and casuals, but yeah in sabering this isn't fun at all because it's 1v1 (would be a different story in jed/sith team battles though). Playing 1v1 against much weaker or much stronger opponents is never enjoyable and almost always boring because it's completely one-sided, neither parties are able to showcase the extent of their skills and the outcome is already known. Although personally i think playing vs a stronger opponent is more fun than playing vs a weaker one, when the gap is too large it is simply boring in both cases. So anyways i don't think the gameplay mechanics of the mod should be blamed here, but rather the issue is finding opponents of similar skill level, whichever it is, to fight against in 1v1.
What you say is a lot like what I mean.

The problem is that a lot of experienced well-known players can obliterate 4 decent players in a 4v1 saberist duel. The saber system is completely one sided and usually goes to the people who played longer. So the thing is that you either suck and die, or you're good and kill.

So, like you said, the problem is that anyone who wants to saber can't keep up with anyone decent at it.
Which leads to my point, the fact that sabering needs to be easier to that everyone can pick it up, and AT LEAST HAVE A CHANCE

Fp range drains, fp drains for each gun, fp when running, walking, or blocking, fp itself, how much each force power drains fp, bp, how each style drains bp, how bp is drained by doing things like jumping, how much bp you lose/gain by pbing, pbing, how to pb, how many ways to pb, pbing others, where to put your crosshair during a pb, how to mb, which way to move during a mb, special moves with styles, all different moves with styles, damage the styles do, special abilities with styles, how to combo, how to kick with a saber, acm, how to lose acm, how to gain acm, bp/pb for acm, bp regen, ap, parrying, how to parry, when to parry, what does parry do, class loadouts, what loadouts to build, nudging, acm thresholds, how much acm you gain on each combo swing, how much fp specials use,

That's a few I can name after a few years of playing JUST for saberists.
So basically anything is necessary for balance and only requires some mininal knowledge is excessive?

The specificities if FP drain numbers isn't important, all that's really important to you is when you're in-game and how you balance your FP.

The rest of the stuff you mentioned is basic stuff that every duellist knows and has no issue with, even me. I'm starting to question your 'few years' of playing

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
If you dont have the time and you're not interested in learning sabering, maybe you should just uninstall or just switch to open mode >:^=0

I kinda agree with this dude here. I only play this mod because I already have a lot of experience, but if I didn't.... no thanks.

I also notice that it's the same with many other multiplayer games on the market - you either spend around 500-1000 hours on it and get good, or play every once in a while and suck balls every time. And since I don't have the time to play 6 hours a day anymore, I'm just not interested.

Sure, when I was a kid I could afford to grind and learn shit 24/7, but now I'm only looking to have fun. And let's be honest, it's VERY hard to have fun in MB2 unless you are at least somewhat experienced. And in case of dueling, it's even worse.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The problem is that a lot of experienced well-known players can obliterate 4 decent players in a 4v1 saberist duel.
Completely untrue. It only takes 2 decent saberist to beat basically ANY duelist out there. All it takes is to use swingblock so the enemy cannot mblock and just relentlessly spam the enemy together to make it humanly impossible to pb both. Add the fact that the other saberist can just keep canceling the other duelist’s swings and it is gg.

You dont even have to be a top duelist to fare in open mode. Hell I swear that the top duelists are in most cases worse in open than your average dueler who grinds open all the time due to the duelists not being used to handling pressure from every side. In open it is enough if you learn to pb decent and become good at mblocking. I played duel servers couple times to learn this and now it is quite seldom I really have to run from saberists in open mode.

Last edited:
Completely untrue. It only takes 2 decent saberist to beat basically ANY duelist out there. All it takes is to use swingblock so the enemy cannot mblock and just relentlessly spam the enemy together to make it humanly impossible to pb both. Add the fact that the other saberist can just keep canceling the other duelist’s swings and it is gg.

You dont even have to be a top duelist to fare in open mode. Hell I swear that the top duelists are in most cases worse in open than your average dueler who grinds open all the time due to the duelists not being used to handling pressure from every side. In open it is enough if you learn to pb decent and become good at mblocking. I played duel servers couple times to learn this and now it is quite seldom I really have to run from saberists in open mode.
Good point. I only said that because I've seen multiple good duelists take on in a 6v1 and basically won. They would win a 3v1 then go on to 1v1 each other duelist and win the 6v1.