•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[OUT OF SCOPE] Ddos attacks on multiple servers!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3500
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3500

Devs, you guys need to fix this. We've had countless hackers, and trolls attacking multiple servers including CA using Ddos. This needs to stop ASAP! Whoever is behind the attacks needs to be banned, as well as anyone associating with the attacker. Ddosing is an illegal cyber-terrorist act here in the US, and it can not be allowed to happen, at all, on ANY server. Fix it please, for the sake of the Community and your mod's survival.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I'm sorry, but you're literally talking about what you're holding back in the same sentence that you say you aren't holding anything back... If you don't want to share for your own reasons, that's whatever, but you can't have it both ways.

Ok - I will rephrase that. We are not holding back some magic cure to the problem. We are not holding anything back which would be of any use to anyone else anywhere else

I would love to hear those so called "complaints", really I would love to. Injustice is too high, I will go back to being spectator, each time I try to mitigate this injustice I again get caught in this paradise of non-sense.
Maybe you should stop hosting your server so the devs see the game is reliant on you(please do this and never play again garth thanks in advance)

Reactions: Leo
Remember that our infrastructure contains things like the website, launcher backend, master server, gamestats servers, public stats server, etc. Our situation is unique cause it is just not the game server. Some of our protections are options available through cloudflare, which are not relevant at all to the game server.

Ok - I will rephrase that. We are not holding back some magic cure to the problem. We are not holding anything back which would be of any use to anyone else anywhere else
I feel like we're starting to go in circles so I'll just try to clarify again. I understand that your infrastructure has more going on than what most others will have and, again, I haven't said that you're expected to have a magic cure all for everyone's infrastructure. All I'm trying to say is that if there are pieces of your infrastructure that you have noticed actually helped mitigate this issue with your game servers, it still could be helpful information to others, regardless of how out of reach or inapplicable to most others that you feel they are. Again, it's not guaranteed to work for everyone and could very well be out of reach for most, if not all, but hearing "This worked for us, maybe it can work for you too" is still very helpful information to have.

For example, Cloudflare is mentioned. That is normally thought of as being more helpful with website protection than most other things, but it is actually a solution that was on my radar because they supposedly they do offer UDP attack protection and have a Rate Limiting option as well. I also use my server for other things outside of MBII, so this is could cover a few bases for me and be a viable solution. At this point though it's unclear to me which tier would be needed to cover this issue, so that (plus their Rate Limiting pricing at a price per hit) could be more than I want to spend or maybe it is still worth it to me. It's just nice to know if someone else already went down this route and found out what did/didn't work before I retread the same ground, potentially for nothing. It's not you telling me this is the only magic solution, it will 100% work for me, and I have to get it, but it's just sharing an experience that I can use to help assess if this could work for me as well or not.

However, I understand (I understand your position, not necessarily your reasoning) that you have concerns with sharing too much of your setup with the wrong group out of security concerns and that you believe each server should come up with their own solutions anyway. Those are valid enough reasons, but outside of those, I think it'd be better for a server owner themselves to assess what applies to them and what is within their reach.