•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Dual Band adapter issue

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
Hi there!

This one is not closely related to MB2, it's a connection issue. After I watched multiple videos and surfed several articles in the web I wonder if you guys knew something better.

In the last few days I was having huge lag spikes and figured my dual band WiFi was not working as intended. (Cable internet is a no go in my apartment and my machine is two walls away from the router.)
I installed Windows 10 less than a year ago and I used to have 5G signal ever since but now it only (and automatically) chooses 2.4G that's overshadowed by multiple neighbouring signals and causing lag spikes unlike 5G which looks flawless through WiFi analyzer. Still, unable to manually connect to it.
I knew the way how manual connection worked in Windows 7. "Device manager --> adapter settings --> preffered band." However this time on Windows 10, the preferred band option is not available. Like, it's just not there so I can't do it.

As for drivers, I figured network drivers weren't all up-to-date, so I updated them yesterday although nothing changed in the big picture. And of course I tried to reboot, restart, reconnect both the router and my machine. Still, no avail.

My router is from TP-link however it's so far from my machine that it had to be prolonged with another antenna, but that's an Ubiquiti Unifi antenna - both supporting either 2.4G and 5G connections. Not sure how much this complicates things but unfortunately that's the only way to have a decent internet connection here - through 5G.

Could you tell me some alternative to solve this issue, please?
Other than that, is there a way to avoid ping spikes? As far as I've surfed, it's nearly impossible to do that through WiFi due to its unpredictable and inconsistent nature. :/

Details:

Interface name: Wi-Fi 2

Driver : Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter
Vendor : Broadcom
Provider : Broadcom
Date : 2016. 11. 22.
Version : 7.35.352.0
INF file : oem10.inf
Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
Radio types supported : 802.11ac 802.11a 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b
FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
Hosted network supported : No
Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:
Open None
Open WEP
WPA-Enterprise TKIP
WPA-Enterprise CCMP
WPA-Personal TKIP
WPA-Personal CCMP
WPA2-Enterprise TKIP
WPA2-Enterprise CCMP
WPA2-Personal TKIP
WPA2-Personal CCMP
Vendor defined Vendor defined
Vendor defined Vendor defined
IHV service present : Yes
IHV adapter OUI : [00 10 18], type: [00]
IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll
IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {aaa6dee9-31b9-4f18-ab39-82ef9b06eb73}
IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Wireless Display Supported: Yes (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes)

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
You should still be able to select your WiFi Adapter in Device Manager and change it in Properties>Advanced. If it's not there you probably need to configure the router by logging into it

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
Yes it isn't there in the Advanced part. :/

Theoretically yes, practically something's off and I can't even access the Unifi, yet I should since I see no other solutions. The router I can access but that's not the issue as it turned out. It's the antenna which reinforces the router's signal down here that's IP is tricky.

Appreciate the tip anyway.