Moviebattles II V1.5.3 Released

mb2_logo_1.png

V1.5.3 Update
CHANGELOG
General

• Fix: Fixed several Mac client crashes.
  • Removed: Seasonal Maps are disabled
Saber
  • Change: Damage multipliers cleaned up to the following:
    • If defender is hit in a startup of their swing, they take 1.2x damage (holding block has no change)
    • Otherwise, if defender is attacking, they take 1.1x damage if holding block, otherwise 1.2x
    • Lastly, if defender isn't attacking, they take 1.0x damage while holding block, otherwise 1.3x
  • Change:Separate modifiers intended for swingblocking/running/walking/other stuff all normalized to 1.0x
  • Change: Saber Defense 1 multiplier reduced from 1.4x to 1.2x
  • Fix: Counter swings are no longer instant
  • Removed: BP Regen on PB removed.
Launcher
  • Fix: Anti-Cheat will function correctly after first install without requiring a launcher restart.
  • Fix: The patcher will no longer stall if it cannot connect to the update servers.
Changed Files ( Manual / Server Downloads ) ( Linux OpenJK server lib )
Code:
-MBII
cgamei386.so
jampgamei386.so
MBAssets4.pk3
MBII.pk3
MBII_Mac.pk3
uii386.so
Changelog Legend
New - New feature or addition to the game.
Change - Changes to the game.
Fix - Bug fix.
Remove - Removed feature.
Feature - New feature name

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for removing the insta-counter thing, but now it's impossible to perform a simple parrying...
Indeed ^, good to have instant counters removed, but....
Game loses half of its sence with this actual removal of ALL counters. The only way you can counter now is with yawing, and only when opponent doesn't yaw.
Without counters you may only expect opponent's swings to come after your combo, which creates much less place for using other 17 techniques we have in MovieBattles II

Correction: Counters are just timed very differently now. Still possible to counter mid-combo, my mistake.

Last edited:
can you guys please just post the source code? i don't wanna have to wait until the next appeasement cycle for saberists for parrying to be a thing again

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Indeed ^, good to have instant counters removed, but....
Game loses half of its sence with this actual removal of ALL counters. The only way you can counter now is with yawing, and only when opponent doesn't yaw.
Without counters you may only expect opponent's swings to come after your combo, which creates much less place for using other 17 techniques we have in MovieBattles II
You can still counter but not instantly in between combos

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Ah cheers bro, my launcher had the jamp client setup as engine everything went to default after update.
While you can switch to MBII Client and continue playing normally, it's highly recommended to patch Jedi Academy for 1.01 version.
You not only will be able to use jamp, but also eliminate a possibility of displaying broken/glitched textures, since JA patch 1.01 is bigger than just fixing executables.
can you guys please just post the source code?
Help me make MB2 Open-Sourced

Yikes, it is here. The no-more-epic-saber-duels patch a.k.a. dueling mutilation.
Let me see just how bad I am going to feel this really is.
A kinda sad May the Fou?r(th|ce) day.

It will likely not even reach this level of "epic" (ha!):

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Too bad "ruined" is subjective. Is it ruined now or was it ruined before, really. Let me just point out that we've just gone away from counters being able to interrupt spam, and back to spam being able to interrupt counters, which people also complained about. Caged.

Of course it's subjective. Facetious thing to say given how it should be assumed that what we are all uttering is our own opinions and not the opinions of someone else.

Anyway, that is not really the main reason why it was unplayable for me. Your horrible interrupt multipliers were the main culprit and you wasted any potential 1.5 had by putting it in . I certainly prefer that u need skill and timing to attack back rather than just being able to randomly swing back and forth all the time and the game devolving into single hit whackamole who can interrupt first and drain half bp with 1 hit style gameplay. Skill-wise, that is very shallow imo.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Of course it's subjective. Facetious thing to say given how it should be assumed that what we are all uttering is our own opinions and not the opinions of someone else.

Anyway, that is not really the main reason why it was unplayable for me. Your horrible interrupt multipliers were the main culprit and you wasted any potential 1.5 had by putting it in . I certainly prefer that u need skill and timing to attack back rather than just being able to randomly swing back and forth all the time and the game devolving into single hit whackamole who can interrupt first and drain half bp with 1 hit style gameplay. Skill-wise, that is very shallow imo.
Well the multipliers were already significantly reduced from v1.5 to v1.5.1 (from 1.6x to 1.45x), but yeah i can agree that at least in this type of design we can live with a 1.3x one, not punishing mistakes too much.

On another note i'll reiterate that there's either something wrong with the changes done here, or something wrong with how the changelog explains them, because when reading the following lines you can notice what feels like an incoherence (at least to me):
Lastly, if defender isn't attacking, they take 1.0x damage while holding block, otherwise 1.3x
okay so when you aren't holding block you take more dmg, sure
Otherwise, if defender is attacking, they take 1.1x damage if holding block, otherwise 1.2x
oh okay so when you are holding block while attacking you take slightly more dmg (1.1x instead of 1.0x), so you are punished for making the mistake of attacking at the wrong time; and if you aren't even holding block at that moment, you take even more dmg (1.2x)

but wait a second, when you get hit while not holding block, but aren't making the mistake of also doing an attack, you get drained 1.3x, more than the 1.2x when you are making the biggest mistake (getting hit while both being in an attack and not holding block); wth, shouldn't these two be reversed or something ? you make a smaller mistake but get punished more...

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Well the multipliers were already significantly reduced from v1.5 to v1.5.1 (from 1.6x to 1.45x), but yeah i can agree that at least in this type of design we can live with a 1.3x one, not punishing mistakes too much.

On another note i'll reiterate that there's either something wrong with the changes done here, or something wrong with how the changelog explains them, because when reading the following lines you can notice what feels like an incoherence (at least to me):

okay so when you aren't holding block you take more dmg, sure

oh okay so when you are holding block while attacking you take slightly more dmg (1.1x instead of 1.0x), so you are punished for making the mistake of attacking at the wrong time; and if you aren't even holding block at that moment, you take even more dmg (1.2x)

but wait a second, when you get hit while not holding block, but aren't making the mistake of also doing an attack, you get drained 1.3x, more than the 1.2x when you are making the biggest mistake (getting hit while both being in an attack and not holding block); wth, shouldn't these two be reversed or something ? you make a smaller mistake but get punished more...

No, there is something wrong with your faulty logic.

Yes, runhits should hurt more than interrupts and that's what that is. I know you want to reverse it but I completely disagree with runhits being lower dmg than getting interrupted. If you get caught running (with ur guard down basically), you should obviously get hurt quite badly compared to holding block. If you get hit whilst attacking, you at least have the blade in motion so you're doing something. I think it's completely wrong to have interrupts hurt more than getting hit whilst running (not attacking/not blocking). It also plays better that way. Interrupts were always lower dmg than runhits until you fucked it up and reversed the multipliers. It just plays better to not get interrupted and lose half bp from one swing and you can't just lower runhit dmg to 1.1x or 1.2x, it needs to be significant and I wouldn't even mind if it was 1.4x or more.

EDIT: You seem to think blue is now more OP than in the previous patch due to the interrupt change, but that is completely ridiculous. Look at blue AP + the interrupt dmg multiplier. A few well-placed yellow hits can handle blue. Sure, blue can grind out in the long game, but that is what it's for. In the previous patch due to sickeningly high interrupt dmg, blue could just spam like hell and deal more dmg. In this patch, blue generally will deal less dmg to you, but you will need more skilful timing vs blue to get your attacks in. We are also assuming a yellow user here. Other styles can still handle blue, like cyan for example. Patch was meant to be a hotfix for your backwards logic of interrupt dmg multipliers mainly + the insta counter thing, so I wasn't allowed to suggest any detailed balance stuff but in any case, I don't think blue is anything to worry about overly much. I didn't test it much on the beta, and I was rusty as hell, but the little time I did test it, I did worse with blue than with yellow.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
General
  • Fix: Fixed several Mac client crashes.
Going to interrupt the endless saber mechanics arguing to highlight this. One of the fixed crashes was supposed to be related to map changes. I'm wondering if the bug and fix applied to all platforms as I've had a client running on official open for the past 6 hours (mostly idling) across several map changes, and haven't crashed yet. Anyone else seeing fewer / no map change crashes?

SERVER DISCONNECTED: QUIT: GAME RUNNING UNRECOGNIZED PROTOCOLS.

And thus ends my time playing moviebattles 2. Was fun.

I'm wondering if the bug and fix applied to all platforms as I've had a client running on official open for the past 6 hours (mostly idling) across several map changes, and haven't crashed yet. Anyone else seeing fewer / no map change crashes?
Still crashes for me. But again faster than in the version before this (just like with the MAC patch).

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Still crashes for me. But again faster than in the version before this (just like with the MAC patch).

if you're seeing more frequent crashes post a support thread and include the crash dump.