Dev Diary - Hosting Migration

iwCSA26.png

A Brief History
About three and a half years ago, after a rather disastrous loss of hosting, the active team and many retirees pulled together to rebuild from the ashes. For those around at the time, it's fairly well known that LoU did all of the backend work setting up the website, forums, and development infrastructure, among other things. Less well known is that our main hosting and beta testing servers were generously provided by Hexodious. Alas, all good things come to an end...

The team was given notice at the end of last year that this arrangement would need to come to an end soon, so we have been assessing our options. While the timeline for completing the move is undefined (no need to panic over an encore of 2015), the consensus of the team is to try and get it done ASAP to relieve Hexodious of the ongoing responsibility.

And of course we would like to formally, and publicly send our enormous gratitude to Hexodious for what has been his large personal financial contribution over the past few years. We as developers and players are forever in your debt.

The Future
While I am retired from development (and not planning to change that status), I've still kept tabs on goings on with the team and done a few things like recreating the web serverlist. Since the start of the year I've been sizing up hosting options and mentally spitballing the problem. Last month I volunteered to take on the task of migrating everything.

As already mentioned, this time around we have a bit of time to consider infrastructure and making improvements. While the current hosting has served us well over the years, its main weakness has been the lack of network capacity at release time. Any large updates (> 1 GB of files) usually result in very slow download speeds on release day up until enough of the new assets are cached with the CDN. While Defiant's refactoring of launcher downloading has greatly helped with asset corruption associated with that congestion, the update speed is still a problem. This means we want the new host to have both better upload speed and enough data transfer to avoid overage fees or throttling.

Another consideration is security. Historically it's not uncommon for official and community servers and services to come under DDoS attacks. As disappointing as that is, it's still a reality that demands planning for. This constrains us to only picking among seasoned hosting providers (won't fold the moment an attack starts) and carefully planning infrastructure to help compartmentalize the effects. All of this ultimately increases hosting costs.

Lastly, since we are essentially refactoring most of the infrastructure anyway, I am aiming to document as much as possible so it may be more easily maintained and modified in the future. This is definitely a non-trivial task, but in my experience it almost always pays dividends (such as making any future migrations like this much easier).

As for timing goes, the first major part of the migration (moving these forums) is planned to take place this Friday morning (GMT). There will be at least some brief downtime that day.

tl;dr: The new hosting infrastructure I've planned will hopefully bring some improvements for the trouble, but the end result will still be a doubling of annual project expenses relative to last year.

Step 3
????

Non-Profit
So what are those expenses? That's a question I had to research myself when I started looking at this project. Here is my projection for the next three years:
  • Hosting: $19/month - $228/annual
    • websites, development, master, regional officials
  • Fees: $95/annual
    • domain renewal, forum license maintenance
  • Other: $300 (budgeted at $100/annual for expected minimum lifetime)
    • hardware dedicated to offsite backup storage
  • Total: $35/month - $423/annual
Everything together really adds up. The month to month hosting cost will probably climb a little over time as storage needs increase (our subversion repository for beta testing is 60 GB right now - we're going to recreate it on the new server to save a little since the history isn't critical, but it will still balloon over time).

While we've had many donations over the years, the majority of hosting expenses have been covered by current and former developers. It's a great practical example of how passionate we are for the mod, but I don't see it as a sustainable model. Even if development stopped forever tomorrow and we cut things down to the bare minimum, it would still cost around $200 a year to keep the remaining servers running.

So as you might have seen coming a mile away, here's the pitch. Even if you don't have the time or knowledge to work on the mod directly, you can help with keeping the lights on. By our current estimates the mod's active population is in the neighborhood of 1000 unique players. That means if even only half the community contributed $1 we'd be set for the year!

We're considering some options like setting up a donation meter to make funding levels easily visible, but that won't be coming until after the migration. For now I've written this post to highlight the funding problem and try to make things more transparent. Feel free to let us know if you have any suggestions. And a big thanks to anyone contributing past, present, and future!

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Added another meter since we are *drum roll* fully funded for 2019! Thank you everyone!
You're probably not interested in this - I've talked about the possibility with various past MBII teams over the years - but if circumstances have changed, I'd be happy to offer either free web hosting or JKA server hosting through JKA.io if it helps. The only caveat is we can't give you hundreds of gigabytes of disk space for SVN, or more than a few terabytes of monthly bandwidth, so you'd still need a solution for SVN & CDN. Might be able to help take the load off in terms of website/game servers, or eliminate the DDoS issue for you though?

I'm not just saying this to prop myself up, if it's a thing that'd genuinely help at some point (or right now), yell. The resource usage wouldn't really be noticeable for us, we've got JKHub and some 50 JKA servers hosted on the same platform.
The website and development hosting I think we've got well covered again now. As for game servers, I can't speak for the currently active team but the main reason I never approached you before to discuss them was to maintain the customization freedom we had with not being on a shared box. It was nice being able to use the servers for experimental things. Might not be so important nowadays though. At the very least the US official host is pulling double duty for some services that can't be protected by CloudFlare, so it's still serving a purpose beyond the game servers.

The offer is really appreciated though. With the planned infrastructure we won't have any EU game server presence, so if there were an open beta planned or the like, it's possible Defiant may be interested in some kind of deal. I can't speak for him, but I wouldn't have had any issues with noting/endorsing free hosting like that as part of such an arrangement. Would seem only fair to me.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Awesome that we managed to get 2019 fully paid already. I was thinkin of smth like maybe giving 5 e/month sub (this would be great option so the income would be steady for the team instead of begging for money every year) but for now I could throw in just the 10 euro if the meter is already full.

EDIT: oh there is an option for that. Imma set it so I give 5 e per month. Guess I finally became one of those ppl who sub random thots for the hopes of getting recognized
PoGEbxb.png

But you guys deserve it for the thousands of hours of entertaiment that you have provided me with. Truly worth every penny:)

Last edited:

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Awesome that we managed to get 2019 fully paid already. I was thinkin of smth like maybe giving 5 e/month sub (this would be great option so the income would be steady for the team instead of begging for money every year) but for now I could throw in just the 10 euro if the meter is already full.

EDIT: oh there is an option for that. Imma set it so I give 5 e per month. Guess I finally became one of those ppl who sub random thots for the hopes of getting recognized
PoGEbxb.png

But you guys deserve it for the thousands of hours of entertaiment that you have provided me with. Truly worth every penny:)

Much appreciated - of course this isn't because we deserve it, this is just so we can keep the lights on and hopefully provide thousands more hours in the future.

another CORPORATE CONGLOMORATE trying to shill out more sad stories to get into MY wallet.
this world is so WICKED and EVIL. im posting this on FACEBOOK to show how CORRUPT you are!

No really, thanks for this update and I wish the best

Dakorian

Donator
Do you guys still need help? I don't mind donating. Whats the donation information? Ive enjoyed this mod for years and don't mind giving back.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Do you guys still need help? I don't mind donating. Whats the donation information? Ive enjoyed this mod for years and don't mind giving back.
You can find current information on the donate page (linked in OP and at the top of the forums). The response so far has been great, so at the moment we're covered through the rest of the year and a good chunk of next year.

On another note, migration of everything is almost complete and should be done before next week. I've also setup some web services to help Mace with publishing a little side project he's been working on (which he'll probably be ready to showoff soonish).

Dakorian

Donator
Nice, thanks for the info. I've been playing the mod since b16 and have had an amazing time. Its honestly one of the best games I've played and I appreciate the hard work you guys put in to it. Im doing ok in life and the 100 euros I sent the team is a small token of my appreciation. Thanks again for letting me play with you guys.

Last edited: