Static Background For New UI

k4far

Banned
Donator
Think of people with toasters (basically majority). I think I brought this up in the Discord once but I bet it has no priority and nobody remembers. Animated background is all great but remember the majority of people have really old/budget computers so a variant of static background when new UI drops in would be appreciated.

@ Frost and Starushka

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Honestly, since it's not gonna load a map or 15 models, if you can run the game you'll have a good experience on any non-static menus.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
What Defiant said. Its a couple animated shader planes and 2 meshes (a player model and a specifically created map mesh) so if you cannot run that, you wouldn't even be able to play a mb2 match at all.

It would be very easy to disable with a client side mod though, but there is zero point to doing that.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Consider if it's giving bad fps on this screen because it's a detailed model on very high settings (assuming it will be on very high details by default) player can run the game on all low just fine it might turn him off from giving the game a try if this particular screen feels choppy. Do not underestimate shitty computers.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Your graphics settings are automatically adjusted in the menu too. It isn't immune from that.

If this person cannot run 6,000 triangles, and a few shader planes even on max settings (where as everything else is normally low) they wouldn't even be able to load and play old lunarbase. They wouldn't even be able to play BaseJKA SP on lowest settings.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
If they have >256mb of video ram (if integrated GFX having 4gb of regular ram would work) they are actually making things worse for them if they are using lower texture resolutions.

But even then, the menu requires effectively zero processing power. an MX 400 released in 2000 would be capable of running this menu.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Tfw when you come on a thread to be a dick and farm likes from other dicks .hope we get somewhere one day.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Think of people with toasters (basically majority). I think I brought this up in the Discord once but I bet it has no priority and nobody remembers. Animated background is all great but remember the majority of people have really old/budget computers so a variant of static background when new UI drops in would be appreciated.

@ Frost and Starushka
You won't believe but even still textures have their position, translation, shader etc calculated on every frame.
That's how games work - every frame is recalculated.
So applying an animation to that won't drop performance.

k4far

Banned
Donator
I would do static background variant for the sake of people who hate changes.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Revert sabering to V1 for the sake of people who hate changes pls
Reversion isn't an option but i will definitely make sure to bring some of the crucial sabering gameplay elements from those times in coming patches, with open betas. Well, can't guarantee you'll personally like it though.