With the degrading interest of Star Wars movies, what's the point in matching updates with releases?

As of now, Solo has around 60% on Metacritic and "having grossed $380 million worldwide, it is considered the first Star Wars film to be deemed a box office bomb"

Some time ago, releasing an update for MB2 to fit in with the release schedule worked. Many people can tell you about the increase of players after the release of The Force Awakens. But now, that's not really the case. In an attempt to capitalise on interest in a new Star Wars movie, the Dev team rushed a new update to get it in time, even getting back retired developers to help finish the work that needed to be done. And what are the results of it? To be honest, not too pretty.

Balance wise, 1.5 has been great. Flinch has been reworked into a (more-or-less) fairer system, major balance issues such as M5 FP drains and Force Lighting have been adjusted respectively. Duels have also taken on a new shape and form, where combat is now swift and aggressive. The gaps in skill levels between players have beenstretched apart, meaning that now it's harder to just simply cheese certain mechanics or moves (expect for that one thing we're all thinking about but I'll get to that).

But despite the great balancing and the new quality of life additions, 1.5 still has many problems. For a first, the game has become technically broken. Dynamic glows and lights cause stutters and players joining a game causes lag spikes for everyone else as well as some other launcher issues.

While I could go on about all the other other stuff such as how absurd purple stab is, I want to focus on something that really upsets me. And that is all the delayed UI changes and official tutorials.

When Mace announced that he and couple of other devs are working together on official tutorials and a revamped UI, it was simply music to mine and other peoples ears.1.5 would have been the perfect update for new players. With a fresh painjob and proper introduction, people would be able to truely enjoy the fresh and amazing experience that is Movie Battles 2.

That is of course, before the choice was made set aside all that content to focus on working on the update to suit Solo's related. Now, let's ask ourselves a question. Was the rush 1.5 update really worth it? What's the pay off?

Instead of enjoying the supposed increase of players, more people have been leaving than joining with many being upset over developer choices and community drama. Instead of enjoying new balancing that was made to encourage new playstylea and breaking through metas, we have people constantly bickering on the silly workings of purple stab, something that could have easily been adjusted and fixed had the development team not been so focused on getting everything done as soon as possible.

The return the titles question, I want to say that with the current Star Wars fatigue that's been going on, I just wish for all the Devs to realise that the reason we're all here is because we found MB2 and we've loved it for each our own reasons. I just want the Dev team to keep working on making this game better than it already is and not to let themselves be distracted with trying to gain some arbitrary number of played that might not even play for more than 3 hours.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
But now, that's not really the case. In an attempt to capitalise on interest in a new Star Wars movie, the Dev team rushed a new update to get it in time, even getting back retired developers to help finish the work that needed to be done.

That isn't exactly what happened. We have been trying to make 6 week release cycle for updates ever since Defiant took lead. If something is ready during that cycle, we release it. If it is not it gets delayed. We decided to not do one update so that some extra dev time could happen on launcher and a few other things. That 6 weeks cycle happened to coincide with Solo release so we tried to take advantage of it. We didn't ask for Stassin or anyone else to come back to help. They wanted to.

We are currently 1 week behind schedule because some of the basic things for the next patch aren't fully ready and we cannot release without them being ready.

For a first, the game has become technically broken. Dynamic glows and lights cause stutters and players joining a game causes lag spikes for everyone else as well as some other launcher issues.

Extended time between patches would not have resulted in us finding the stuttering issues. This mainly becomes a problem with more players. This particular issue has been fixed for weeks though and has just been waiting on other things.

That is of course, before the choice was made set aside all that content to focus on working on the update to suit Solo's related. Now, let's ask ourselves a question. Was the rush 1.5 update really worth it? What's the pay off?

I'm not exactly sure where you heard that, but tutorials and UI were worked on as much as they could be up until the point we realized there was no way they were going to get done in time. Which was just a few days prior. We didn't shift resources at all because everyone was working on separate tasks. The only person that could have switched was Defiant. The others working on UI/Tutorial couldn't work on anything else for the patch.

We even noted in that post that if they get released, that they wouldn't be in a 100% finished state and that you would see more things get upgraded, more tutorials added, and polish in general later on.

I just want the Dev team to keep working on making this game better than it already is and not to let themselves be distracted with trying to gain some arbitrary number of played that might not even play for more than 3 hours.

We are just trying to keep up with our own release schedule. If that coincides directly with a movie or whatever then so be it. Being timed with solo was a bonus.