Logical Sabering?

Duckshark

Internal Beta Team
Hi, I'm new here. I've been playing for a couple of weeks, but before that I wised up and read a bunch of guides on literally everything in this game. But I feel like dueling is still a problem, because I found out that running out of BP is countered by wildly spamming combos, and swingblocking feels unrealistic.

What if combos were limited to having the first hit not be PB'd? It doesn't make sense for a real sword fighter to have a strike blocked and then be able to swing another few times at a blocking person quickly, it'd make more sense if the individual hits were more precise and combos were follow-ups to strikes. The only real fighting where one can just whale on somebody else is boxing, because blocking a punch doesn't affect the aggressor.

Also, slapping in a duel only makes sense if the opponent isn't swinging. Who would consider a barehanded attack useful against an enemy swinging an indestructible laser sword? Slaps should only connect if the opponent is readying or following through a strike, or jumping/crouching.

Swingblocking seems like a sort of exploit, and really unrealistic. If you parry, then ok. But who blocks a slap by swinging a sword while blocking during the attack? By making slaps more opportunistic, it'd make sense for them to have longer cooldown, and swingblocking would be disregarded for pure offense when swinging, and the variety of PBs, MBs, and parries on defense.

Note that I am a total noob, but these solutions seem logical, not difficult to implement (comparatively), and it would make dueling less combo-based and more about precise strikes, because a single lightsaber strike is basically game over for the recipient.

If there are pros out there, and you see something I missed, feel free. Please don't write "dumb lol bye," though. I want to understand the dueling system, and I really like this mod.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
I don't disagree, I like the new system a lot for instance I love how fast fights can be as a non-duelist openmode/match saberist. But swingblock vs non-swing is no competition (and this is a many patch long issue), swingblock is much better than non-swingblock in most scenarios. The safety it provides it just too huge.

Indeed, just 0 downside to it in either open or in duel.

By the way Hex, I caution you to 'like' 1.5 sabering just because fights are faster. While I also like faster fights, there are a LOT of issues with this patch's sabering system that make it really bad for many duelists.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
I've mostly played it in open mode, and it is vastly better for that (i.e I destroy 1-2 players that aren't as good as me fairly easily, whereas they'd tank for a while unless I side hit before). Obviously the best solution would be something that everyone is happy with, but from my perspective it is pretty good.

Essentially doing what I did before in older patches is better for 1vMany in openmode compared to before as I can be agro and regen BP due to badly telegraphed enemy swings.

Edit: if it is bad for duelist, I'd like to learn more as again I mostly play open so its a different view point I should understand. I mostly join duel servers to learn how to out-play other openmode players.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
The only thing I have to seriously contribute to this conversation would be the instant multi hitting kata's such as blue crouch kata purpla kata and if u do a dfa as someone swings with cyan it can 100bp to 0 you cause it hits you 3 times. Thats all I would like to be fixed :)

Assuming this is what you are on about, I don't think anyone disagrees.

Welp my point earlier was glossed over FeelsBadMan
It's fine boyo focus on fighting your father in purgatory.

But as far as sabering goes hasn't swingblock been debated for a long time yet finding the proper tweak hasn't come up, is it a matter of status quo or it's just hard to rework the system properly to balance swingblocking and normal hits while taking into consideration the other mechanics?

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
In EU most skilled players love it. I love it too apart from a few things. People are just more vocal about the negatives than the positives as usual.
In your eyes, what are the exact positives offered by 1.5 over 1.4.9. Please don't just say something like "more skill based" or some such. Please be detailed. I have my own things I like about 1.5, but many things I dislike. Please list what changes you like, dislike, and/or simply don't care one way or another.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
In your eyes, what are the exact positives offered by 1.5 over 1.4.9. Please don't just say something like "more skill based" or some such. Please be detailed. I have my own things I like about 1.5, but many things I dislike. Please list what changes you like, dislike, and/or simply don't care one way or another.
Pbing is relevant, a lot more room to develop unique styles, style balancing is better except for staff, acm is harder to get, punishes more for mistakes, faster duels, run hitting is not op anymore, timing is more important, cyan is shit, perks are gone. Those are the things i can think of atm, overall dueling just feels better

Last edited:
Pbing is relevant, a lot more room to develop unique styles, style balancing is better except for staff, acm is harder to get, punishes more for mistakes, faster duels, run hitting is not op anymore, timing is more important, cyan is shit. Those are the things i can think of atm, overall dueling just feels better
and noobs can't get carried by acm, that's a brilliant change. A few styles need tweaking, and a couple of values need fine tuning too (interrupt)

Dueling:
- Loving that other saber styles than yellow feel more relevant and viable again. They're not carried by ACM and perks anymore but rather their own offence and defence ratings. I don't like purple stab as it is, and I feel staff might be a bit too strong, but other than that I'm enjoying playing and fighting against any style.
- Speaking of ACM I'm glad it's kinda gone, late 1.4 was a grindfest and it made every duel look and feel the same, it bored me. It wasn't challenging or fun that much, just annoying.
- BP per PB I was unsure about at first, but ever since it went live it forced me to break out of my shells and bad habits of constantly spamming same hits and combos against most opponents and actually think about what attack I'll do next to avoid being PBed and thus feeding BP to enemy. I think it's a good change wether it's a popular opinion or not.
- PBindicator is a great addition for new players.
- Love the duel mode changes in general, finally no more waiting until the round is over to get to action. It also greatly impacts private servers with custom maps and gives potential to better organised events with 15 minutes instead of only 5.

Open:
- Not a fan of increased projectile speed. I wrote about it several times before and I won't bother again. I will say though even tho I'm not a fan I don't consider it game-breaking and I can still enjoy Open every much.
- Don't like Godcaster as is currently, way too strong.
- I like the Clone blob nerf, reduced Dodge duration and Poison Darts not dealing dmg to meditating Jedi. Makes me feel much better when I find cover and meditate to prevent dmg rather than just minimize it.
- Even though I never liked Smuggler, the newly updated one is an improvement.

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
Dueling:
- Loving that other saber styles than yellow feel more relevant and viable again. They're not carried by ACM and perks anymore but rather their own offence and defence ratings. I don't like purple stab as it is, and I feel staff might be a bit too strong, but other than that I'm enjoying playing and fighting against any style.
- Speaking of ACM I'm glad it's kinda gone, late 1.4 was a grindfest and it made every duel look and feel the same, it bored me. It wasn't challenging or fun that much, just annoying.
- BP per PB I was unsure about at first, but ever since it went live it forced me to break out of my shells and bad habits of constantly spamming same hits and combos against most opponents and actually think about what attack I'll do next to avoid being PBed and thus feeding BP to enemy. I think it's a good change wether it's a popular opinion or not.
- PBindicator is a great addition for new players.
- Love the duel mode changes in general, finally no more waiting until the round is over to get to action. It also greatly impacts private servers with custom maps and gives potential to better organised events with 15 minutes instead of only 5.

Open:
- Not a fan of increased projectile speed. I wrote about it several times before and I won't bother again. I will say though even tho I'm not a fan I don't consider it game-breaking and I can still enjoy Open every much.
- Don't like Godcaster as is currently, way too strong.
- I like the Clone blob nerf, reduced Dodge duration and Poison Darts not dealing dmg to meditating Jedi. Makes me feel much better when I find cover and meditate to prevent dmg rather than just minimize it.
- Even though I never liked Smuggler, the newly updated one is an improvement.

Well, I agree with you on a few points. Namely:

• PBIndicator being nice.
  • Joining Duels Servers mid-round, and the other mode changes for duel in general.
  • No one likes the GodCaster, but then again, it's all bugged to hell and back, as I understand.
  • Poison doing no damage, I'm not sure on it. Though, rewarding being able to mediatate, and making it so a bunch of BH's don't spam it at super long range is good.
  • Dodge duration nerf was really needed, especially for close range fights, though I do think it could be changed concept wise, instead of just lowering the amount. Any ability that just says, "LOL, NOPE!" To someone's weapon just feel cheesy. (You can factor it being good against snipers and the like, and I totally agree, but snipers have their own issues with what they are anyways.
  • ACM taking longer is nice, though I do feel that a different way of countering ACM should exist. (A good active defense of lowering ACM build up of your opponent might have been a better idea. Maybe BP lowering enemy ACM, instead of just not building it? Of course, it should be something like 2 bps to lower ACM more then one successful swing, and different per style if we went this way)
  • I don't like the complete removal of perks, but at the same time, I do agree they were odd. Perks made the styles more unique, but at the same time, they made certain styles far more powerful in doing certain things then others. If you wanted to min/max a playstyle, you kinda of had to use a certain style, and that doesn't feel rewarding. Could say I agree, but think the method wasn't right.
  • Clone blob nerf isn't as noticeable to me, but I try not to use it too much, as it feels too chesse-y at times. I would be happier with blobs having the faster speeds, but also making it so they short stun instead of Knockdown. A stun the you can block and deflect, but not move, or have limited movement. Certainly no force jump while stunned. Make people land blobs easier, but nerf what they do to people. (I mean, if you dump points into blobs, you can get a lot of them.)
Somethings I don't agree with, or just generally don't like:
  • I do not like that fact that the BP regen is what it is. That being said, after the patch that is nerf-ing the regen, I will take another look.
  • I love the projectile speed increases. We've all had these discussions before, so I'll let what is in the past be the past.
I almost never play Smuggler, so didn't mind the changes made. Can't say I enjoy them or not, not having really sat down and played it a bunch (especially with different amounts of population in a server.)