•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Broken sounds in Movie/UM/CMP Map Packs

I'm not sure if this is the result of the 1.5 update or something else, but I'm finding that a lot of voices for characters in Full Authentic in Movie Map Pack levels do not work. This isn't 100% across the board (some of them still seem to work), but a good example would be SSB_Pkmnstadium where the majority of characters voices seem to be missing. "Take that" from mp_generic_male has all of the sudden replaced the unique taunts.

This appeared to be the case for everyone we played the game with last night, but does anyone have these sounds working? Is there some setting we need to change? Or did the sounds get messed up in the update? I don't know if this is exclusive to the Movie Map Pack, but I haven't encountered it yet with the "normal" characters in regular MBII maps.

k4far

Banned
Donator
The same issue has been reported in the official Discord but regarding the um_clastevania where skeletons sounds are but generic kyle for someone. It appears to not be an issue for me and many others so the source of the problem is yet to be found. I would bet the money (I do not have) on the same cause as what's making Grip broken (possibily issue isolated to one of one of two game engines used for hosting). I advised the other person to try repairing/manually deleting the file that had no effect so it isn't broken/missing file issue.

Oh, it was introduced in 1.4.9? I was wondering if that was the case since I was going through the changelogs and saw this in 1.4.9's:
Fix: The way character sounds are loaded has been changed in order to reduce start of round lag and improve stability on Mac systems.
Would be interesting to get some insight into how the "CG_LoadCISounds" method changed (ioquake/jedi-academy) if that's in fact why this is happening and why some people experience the issue and others don't based on k4far's input.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
sometimes the taunt gets cuts halfway too.

Client 0.

Don't know about the rest to be honest. Nothing FA specific should be going on to my knowledge. I think a path got changed that restored the default JKA path for custom sounds, so its possible that some FA models had custom sounds in the MBII path rather than the JKA path. Can you post which models are affected?

Client 0.

Don't know about the rest to be honest. Nothing FA specific should be going on to my knowledge. I think a path got changed that restored the default JKA path for custom sounds, so its possible that some FA models had custom sounds in the MBII path rather than the JKA path. Can you post which models are affected?

its difficult to pint-point im gonna have to check the maps but mostly all the maps that ive tested have *take that* instead of the custom sound for example lotr_helmsdeep , tmnt, antioch, castlevania, i may be missing others but as i said im gonna have to check.

I think the only cited examples have been in the 3rd party map packs, but there's a lot of examples in the Movie Map Pack (and apparently a few in UM maps). Off the top of my head I know that "SSB_Pkmnstadium" has a lot of models with the problem. I don't know if these paths will help but here's a few that I know don't work:

01_MovieGameMappack.pk3\Sound\Chars\Mario\misc\
01_MovieGameMappack.pk3\Sound\Chars\link\misc\
01_MovieGameMappack.pk3\Sound\Chars\ganondorf\misc\
03_MovieGameMappack.pk3\Sound\chars\starfox\misc\

Interestingly enough, one of Snake's taunts in this map works (taunt2.mp3) but the rest default to the "take that" from mp_generic_male.

01_MovieGameMappack.pk3\Sound\Chars\snakev3\misc\

I think the only cited examples have been in the 3rd party map packs, but there's a lot of examples in the Movie Map Pack (and apparently a few in UM maps). Off the top of my head I know that "SSB_Pkmnstadium" has a lot of models with the problem. I don't know if these paths will help but here's a few that I know don't work:

Interestingly enough, one of Snake's taunts in this map works (taunt2.mp3) but the rest default to the "take that" from mp_generic_male.
mostly UM has been modified, same with cmp i think im gonna test right now.

loz from ffviiac_church has been modified to "take that" taunt only.
in tmnt the turtles has "take that" as well
persians have *take that* as well in 300_thermopylae
um_antioch is fine but the character judas is missing its texture.
um_nightmare suffering from "take that" taunt issues as well
lotr_helmsdeep also suffering from "take that" taunts.
at any rate @mugenmidget you seem to have found others that i didnt check before so if you could list the rest that would be nice i suppose.

Sure, I can list a couple more we encountered in the Movie Map Packs. I think in the cases where some taunts work, they're mostly additional ones (I.E. taunt.mp3/taunt.wav almost always gets replaced with "take that" from mp_generic_male). Another thing to note is this doesn't seem limited to just taunt noises, for instance "mario" on "SSB_Pkmnstadium" has his death sounds replaced as well (I'm sure there's a lot more examples through out the Movie Map Pack).

• matrix_bbrawl
    • neo
    • agent_smith
  • aliens (the colonial_marine model here appears to work correctly for the skins I tested, but the aliens alpha_* exhibit the "take that" problem)

As a sidenote, I tried renaming the Movie Map Packs with "zzzz" prefixes to change the load order just to see if that would resolve anything, but the sound behavior seems to act exactly the same.

Last edited: