Status
Not open for further replies.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Did you ever hear the story of Darth Stassin the Gassed ? I thought not. It's not a story the community would tell you. It's a dev legend. Darth Stassin was a dark coder of the dev team, so misguided and gassed he could use beta testing to influence releases to create new sabering systems... He had such an ignorance of the community's desires, he could even keep the features he cared about from being removed. Coding without listening to the community is a pathway to many sabering features some consider to be unnatural. He became so abusive... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his gameplay designer status, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught Tempest everything he knew, then Tempest reformed sabering in his absence. Ironic. He could design sabering systems, but not good enough that they would remain stable.

Fang

Donator
i hear so many different stories from the devs about this 'saber system' that I put more trust into TR behaving meme on AOD on higher levels

i laughed at the above meme but cant say the mods been stable for the last few patches in general considering I get +60 ping since RC3

Deathstar is unironically one of the best maps in the game. It blows my mind because 90% of maps I play that aren't deathstar I just have this inherent disdain for. They're buggy, clunky, you keep getting caught on random shit, their design is just terrain multiplied by more terrain. Deathstar doesn't have those problems at all, aside from trash, which is a beautiful clusterfuck. You need to design more maps. Fuck "accuracy" just make something fun.

Deathstar is unironically one of the best maps in the game. It blows my mind because 90% of maps I play that aren't deathstar I just have this inherent disdain for. They're buggy, clunky, you keep getting caught on random shit, their design is just terrain multiplied by more terrain. Deathstar doesn't have those problems at all, aside from trash, which is a beautiful clusterfuck. You need to design more maps. Fuck "accuracy" just make something fun.

I too enjoy pushing people off side bridges as a sith or pulling dekas & snipers to cover lower/main hallways.

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
You need to design more maps. Fuck "accuracy" just make something fun.

Oh yes my friend, I have indeed....

In time... you all will experience Scarif 2: the Citadel (pics are all heavy WIP atm obviously)
scarif2-boast1.JPG scarif2-boast2.JPG scarif2-boast3.JPG

Oh yes my friend, I have indeed....

In time... you all will experience Scarif 2: the Citadel (pics are all heavy WIP atm obviously)
View attachment 3166 View attachment 3167 View attachment 3168

opinions;
upload_2018-6-14_0-25-8.png

bridge should have some little pylons that classes can jump onto and roll off to gain distance. i also think for literally no reason other than "it's fun" that there should literally be a pair of ramps that allow you to roll from one side of this pit to the other. other than my massive bias towards going fast i think having these pylons on the bridge changes the thought process from "oh boy time to walk in a straight line" to "can i pull off this jump to cross this bridge faster". deathstar doesn't get boring to me because you can save shittons of time by launching off of crates, doorways, and jumping to get through shutter doors faster. if you're paying attention, the environment of that entire map keeps you engaged. i want to see that spirit replicated here

upload_2018-6-14_0-26-32.png

the lip of this doorway and the bottom of those slope things look like they'll be fun for flying off of with rolls

upload_2018-6-14_0-27-17.png

this area as of right now looks a bit basic, some boxes would balance things out a lot. lips sticking out of the ground for flying around would be good on the light grey platforms too

Did you ever hear the story of Darth Stassin the Gassed ? I thought not. It's not a story the community would tell you. It's a dev legend. Darth Stassin was a dark coder of the dev team, so misguided and gassed he could use beta testing to influence releases to create new sabering systems... He had such an ignorance of the community's desires, he could even keep the features he cared about from being removed. Coding without listening to the community is a pathway to many sabering features some consider to be unnatural. He became so abusive... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his gameplay designer status, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught Tempest everything he knew, then Tempest reformed sabering in his absence. Ironic. He could design sabering systems, but not good enough that they would remain stable.
Is it possible to revert what you've done to V1?

Last edited:

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
Ah yes Lindsey, the next developer who will release this and receive an amazing shit storm from glorious 4chanbatles
I am quite prepared and ready for whatever comes my way XD:

opinions;
View attachment 3169
ADD PARKOUR STUFF
Looking into it, this area is essentially the starting area of Corellia or Echobase cargo box hangar, not really a huge factor in the match, very close to rebel spawn
View attachment 3171
this area as of right now looks a bit basic, some boxes would balance things out a lot. lips sticking out of the ground for flying around would be good on the light grey platforms too

This area is a gross exaggeration of this from the movie (and people will be VERY high up, they will not want to be here long):
DH-dP8eXkAA5Onl.jpg

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Is it possible to revert what you've done to V1?
Not from the current dev team.

On a more serious note, removing the current PBing system now is practically impossible, and while i agree the resulting system would be playable just fine and fun to play, it would also be a downgrade and rather dumb the system down. It would be a more straightforward system to pick up, more direct and engaging to play, but also less realistic and easier to play, not to mention completely destroying the point of having different swing directions. So to be practical about this, and try to bring back some of the feels from the old system, i am rather looking at adjustements to tone down the role of current PBing (aside from removing the BP regen which is almost a certainty not for the next hotfix but after that) in certain circumstances, for example making it negate only 50% damage versus starting swings which is the biggest issue encountered by people who want to just attack straightforwardly and not bother with faking attacks in the air and such.

I also wish to reintroduce some precision feeling elements of the old system albeit in a more controlled manner, such as restricting the condition for parries to occur so that we would get mutual bodyhits more often like in v0, or simply one swing bodyhitting and the other missing, instead of necessarily both cancelling each other out all the time based only on the fact that they are in their middle animations. I also very much wish to reintroduce nudge and even blocking animations on idle saber clashes, though i know this will be controversial amongst people who haven't experienced the old system. I am also even looking at things like having different PBing methods (movement direction, timing, even the old saber/saber collision) for certain styles, as "perks", as well as reintroducing slightly more varied halfswing speeds depending on direction.

I'm also looking at other elements from the old system which are rather feelings of freedom than precision, like no longer having your swings interrupted by blocking animations when you non-swingblock, while keeping it for swingblocks which would make this consistent with saber vs gun once flinch is replaced by knockback. Also looking at making blocking animations behave the same as nudge, i.e. not locking your input during the animation and allowing you to counter only at the end of it, but instead allowing you to counter at any point during the animation.

In short, trying to incorporate elements of precision/freedom/depth feelings that we have learnt are good from old systems while keeping as much as possible the strong points of current systems which are the consistency of the mechanics, the more diverse use of swing directions (and the increased difficulty of mind games and footwork due to current PB, but i guess that can't be called a strong point in your point of view). A middle-ground system that would keep the best of all worlds, if you will, and trying hard not to become bland and not to lose all the things that are enjoyable from each world in the process of making this compromise.

Last edited:

On a more serious note, removing the current PBing system now is practically impossible, and while i agree the resulting system would be playable just fine and fun to play, it would also be a downgrade and rather dumb the system down. It would be a more straightforward system to pick up, more direct and engaging to play, but also less realistic and easier to play, not to mention completely destroying the point of having different swing directions. So to be practical about this, and try to bring back some of the feels from the old system, i am rather looking at adjustements to tone down the role of current PBing (aside from removing the BP regen which is almost a certainty not for the next hotfix but after that) in certain circumstances, for example making it negate only 50% damage versus starting swings which is the biggest issue encountered by people who want to just attack straightforwardly and not bother with faking attacks in the air and such.

I also wish to reintroduce some precision feeling elements of the old system albeit in a more controlled manner, such as restricting the condition for parries to occur so that we would get mutual bodyhits more often like in v0, or simply one swing bodyhitting and the other missing, instead of necessarily both cancelling each other out all the time based only on the fact that they are in their middle animations. I also very much wish to reintroduce nudge and even blocking animations on idle saber clashes, though i know this will be controversial amongst people who haven't experienced the old system. I am also even looking at things like having different PBing methods (movement direction, timing, even the old saber/saber collision) for certain styles, as "perks", as well as reintroducing slightly more varied halfswing speeds depending on direction.

I'm also looking at other elements from the old system which are rather feelings of freedom than precision, like no longer having your swings interrupted by blocking animations when you non-swingblock, while keeping it for swingblocks which would make this consistent with saber vs gun once flinch is replaced by knockback. Also looking at making blocking animations behave the same as nudge, i.e. not locking your input during the animation and allowing you to counter only at the end of it, but instead allowing you to counter at any point during the animation.

In short, trying to incorporate elements of precision/freedom/depth feelings that we have learnt are good from old systems while keeping as much as possible the strong points of current systems which are the consistency of the mechanics, the more diverse use of swing directions (and the increased difficulty of mind games and footwork due to current PB, but i guess that can't be called a strong point in your point of view). A middle-ground system that would keep the best of all worlds, if you will, and trying hard not to become bland and not to lose all the things that are enjoyable from each world in the process of making this compromise.

There shouldn't exist such a thing as "perfect" blocking. You block swings so as not to get injured, and normal blocking already does that. Being attacked should always be something negative, not neutral (old PB) or positive (new PB with regen). It does make sense, however, to have different levels of blocking efficiency, so e.g. 50% BP damage reduction on PB would be a step in the right direction, if I do say so myself. You shouldn't be a tank who can just stand there and ignore all offense, but you should be able to help yourself by blocking properly so as not to tire yourself as much. So with this we'd have a defense system which makes sense but is not OP and receiving loads of attacks without doing some offense in return will mean your loss.

And obviously runhits shouldn't deal less damage because runhits don't have less force behind them.

Every game these days has an account process. Whether that be through steam, origin, uplay, epic games or games with their own launcher: dauntless, guild wars, warframe. It is unacceptable in 2018 to be afraid of creating a damn account when it takes 2 seconds.

I think I just felt a tumor sprout in my brain stem from reading this.

Please god do not link your 10 year old game to a 20 year old forum system, the playerbase will drop like flies.

"Am I out of touch for wanting an account system on my launcher? No, it's the players who are wrong."

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
So, you want your achievements to consistently get reset rather than being based on a persistent service/account?

You don't want us to have a way to poll the community in the actual game with out them having to come onto the forums and find certain threads?

You don't want persistent stat tracking?

You don't want trolls and toxic players to have a more common identifier that makes it slightly harder for them to get around community server bans by just using VPNs or easily changing their IPs?

You don't want us to be able to track certain things for analytics (not all analytics need accounts but some do) that helps us balance and see what is happening in the game easier (Such as seeing player retention after tutorials are added?)

You don't want to be able to ego score on a leaderboard and say you're better than other people at certain things?

You don't want us to have the ability to say run a tournament and say grant someone a prize for winning and participating in the tournament such as a cool hat?

All I see you saying is that you don't want a bunch of cool shit that helps us, and you. Doesn't seem like a well informed position to me.

So, you want your achievements to consistently get reset
i dont care about this

You don't want persistent stat tracking?
no

You don't want to be able to ego score on a leaderboard and say you're better than other people at certain things?
no because it is always 100% of the time the shittiest players that obsess over their score

You don't want us to have the ability to say run a tournament and say grant someone a prize for winning and participating in the tournament such as a cool hat?
Hell no.
upload_2018-6-19_22-17-25.png

All I see you saying is that you don't want a bunch of cool shit that helps us, and you.
nothing you listed helps me actually enjoy the game. everything you listed does enable mb2's worst, shittiest personalities though. up to you, dude. epic stat tracking isn't going to help me with a damn thing.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
i dont care about this

Good for you. It is one of the most requested fixes.

Good for you, others do. People have wanted achievements to be more in depth for a while. This would allow that.

no because it is always 100% of the time the shittiest players that obsess over their score

They do yes but out of game leaderboards aren't treated the same as in-game scoreboards in my experience.

Not a good indicator of what would happen. Account system would also prevent that from ever happening again (So long as a dev isn't retarded with their own password).

epic stat tracking isn't going to help me with a damn thing.

It can't show you what you might be doing wrong and what areas you need to improve on? Have a look at how in depth things are for say Dota for example. In depth stats has helped me be a better player.

Either way those were just examples of what we could do off the top of my head.

Could also do something like hey, donators get priority download speeds during updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.