Feedback Thread: 1.5

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
A hope for us is to lock these things down for Saber vs Saber and Saber vs Gunner core mechanics. More precisely targeted changes and improvements are on the pipeline after this. Expect the core to stay the same for now.

A couple of things that are on my radar for follow-up patches:
  • Bowcaster rework towards TFA style fantasy
  • Droideka vs Jedi balance
  • Purple Stab
  • Grip
  • Deflect
Closely monitoring the following live changes:
  • Shot speed increase
    • Saber vs Gun match-up
    • Regular gun vs Sniper match-up
    • Overall time-to-kill change
  • Block and its validity in different Saber vs Gun match-ups
  • Saber fights and comebacks (especially One versus Many situations)
  • Flinch rework
    • Reliability
    • Readability
    • Feel

Thank you for all the feedback so far!

Nice list. It provides something to respond to so allow me to give my take.

Bowcaster: I would like to see green bolts and charged bouncing shots (like arc) make a return. In recompense lower its RoF and balance it around precision + the charge bounce. That coupled with strong melee would make it more interesting and stand out.

Droideka vs jedi: Not sure I have much to say in the complaint department. I feel like Droideka can still do well with discharge. Perhaps it should be made baseline or available alongside Quick deploy. With only Quick deploy it's almost impossible to vs jedi, but with discharge you can do well. Rather than looking at Firepower FP drain increases, I would rather look at trying to make discharge baseline or buyable alongside QD. That also gives it more opportunities to bounce grenades with discharge which is lulz.

Purple stab: The problem here is its long invulnerability period, caused by the unlimited timer on specials. Blue lunge has the same issue. It should not hit twice, and probably shouldn't stagger. I want stab to be purples version of blue lunge to get ppl off ledges, nothing more.

Grip: Grip 3 is fun and I like it overall, though a bit annoying aswell. Grip 1 and 2 should be made more viable and perhaps grip 3 FP drain slight increase, maybe by only a point or two.

Deflect: I really hate the change that shows mblocking all the time. You should have the ability to hide deflect and show it by walking. Or maybe make it hide when you hold walk, that way there's an extra skill to differentiate between newbs and those that know what they are doing. (Hide mblock while walking).

---

Overall shot speed change: Like it a lot, don't want it changed. It makes open much more fun for me.
Regular gun vs sniper: Seems fine so far? Obviously snipers will have an advantage at distance as it should be.
Overall time to kill: I like that HS is rewarded. I haven't noticed anything too annoying with leg damage increase. But soldiers are a bit squishy. Perhaps give them enough hp to tank an additional leg/torso shot.

Block and its validity in different Saber vs Gun match-ups: I've noticed it makes a decent difference in certain scenarios, and I've seen many a noob charge at gunners and get ripped apart in a few seconds then going 'wtf?'. I would say it's a step in the right direction here. I've played both gunner and force users, and I feel both as a gunner and force user that I have a decent chance to win with skill, even if I am a soldier or commander without utility vs a jedi.

Saber fights and comebacks (especially One versus Many situations): In 1vX parries are very important due to the increased damages. I like how 1vX feels overall, and I think it's moving in the right direction. I can take several weaker players by myself most of the time, but those that are good and work together to outflank are much more difficult, but you can use well timed parries and movement to hold them off and drain their BP. It's very playable but takes more skill to 1vX now than before, which I think is a good change. The faster kill speed due to BP drains helps a lot here imo and its way more fun to do 1vX now cuz I feel like I can win by means other than simply Mblocking everyone. Now I can win in 1vX with BP drains aswell, but in 1.4.9 I had to rely on Mblock disarms due to noodle damage and ACM made prolonged 1vX almost impossible.

Flinch rework: I was surprised to find that I don't hate flinch. I enjoy it more now as gunner and also as jedi/sith. I know when it will happen and know why it doesn't occur sometimes (saber blade blaster shots, dodge). I think it works pretty well. I am also liking the change to red and purple to make them more viable. It has a definite HP drawback, which makes it so you can only berserk someone down at full HP and even then a solid HS etc will destroy you. Also there is the slowdown so even as a soldier or commander I found myself able to dodge red swings that werent skilled. If red killed me, that swing would've also killed me if the opponent was using yellow most of the time. So overall it's balanced as far as I can tell. The boon is that red is anti-deka and anti-SBD, and I like that you have an option to buy it. Even though it was meant to be anti high HP classes before, it was useless due to flinch. Now that dynamic is alive so that makes things more fun.

My overall impression so far is that the core is good, and with some polishing it will turn into a very nice gem.

Maybe people are actually good at predicting and pblocking rather than just getting lucky?

When you want an essential mechanic to be completely removed (mblock), its quite hard to take your opinion seriously.
right. ppl are good at pblocking lol. i never learned pb and i catch like 40% of hits in pblock.
actually every right\left swing is gonna to be pblocked in 90%, cuz it's not a moon, it's PB zones!

where did i say to remove mblock?

and i actually posted my idea of sabering, so
MovieBattles II Version 1.5 Released

this is fking scary that almost every member of internal beta-team is a fanboy of new retarded sabering.
this bs will never end if every tester will jerk off on any shit stassin push on.

srsly, i did it before. after 1.4 i said it's bs and now it's even worse.
nobody will listen, so whatever. do what you please.

Last edited:
Well vasya tbf you might just not be facing really good opponents. If someone just spams A-D combos on you then even with minimal mouse movement you will probably PB half of it. Not really a good example imo.
We can test it on HQ if you want sometimes, do masked or yawed combos on each other then lets see how many PBs you will get without drastic mouse movement and prediction.

Well vasya tbf you might just not be facing really good opponents. If someone just spams A-D combos on you then even with minimal mouse movement you will probably PB half of it. Not really a good example imo.
We can test it on HQ if you want sometimes, do masked or yawed combos on each other then lets see how many PBs you will get without drastic mouse movement and prediction.
thats actuaaly the problem. that u must spin your character like crazy to make a hit that will not be pblocked.
in my opinion this is not how duels should look like.

k4far

Banned
Donator
thats actuaaly the problem. that u must spin your character like crazy to make a hit that will not be pblocked.
in my opinion this is not how duels should look like.

This calls for 1.3 where Yjewing mechanic was less broken.

I'm not a big fan of yawing, especially hardcore fidget spinning and I'd love to see a system in which it has strong downsides except just being occasionally sidewhacked. But then again maybe it's just me not knowing how to approach duels against spinners... yep.... much more likely. :D

k4far

Banned
Donator
Achilles has had a very good points about elements of 1.3 that we could use here...

PB zones were bigger but everybody was PBing so good players had PB rate of 80% and it wasn't worth as much (BP probably only nullified the damage so Yawing was worth much less and that's how things should be in my opinion - not a fucking spin your screen competition).

Some things I like, some I don't.
Good stuff:
I like what you did with the jedi's points (6 points for every style).
I like the idea to make all styles viable.
I know nothing about duels but it seems like they are much faster now when people isn't really good in it.
New Smuggler is definitely much better
New duel mode
Slight pull nerf is okay. Not good but okay.
Blocking animation instead of stagger. Good.
Bigger caps for def 2&3. Nice
Increased cd for slap. Good.
Now for the bad things:
**** **** **** *** ***** projectile speed. Ehm. I do realize that you have tried to balance saber vs gunner with increasing speed of projectiles. And it seem to work. In 1 vs 1. But it basically destroys the gun vs gun gameplay. Someone above me said that it takes now more skill to shoot. Utter nonsense. Now you need nothing except good aim in order to play gunner vs gunner. And it's sucks. MB2 was great because you had to shoot for preemption. It was unique game (I can remember only Tribes with simillar mechanics). Now you need only aim. It works for some games with different engines, no classess and better hitboxes. Here - no. Just no. I will better play cs if I want something like that. But not only it messes the whole gunner gameplay. It's actually makes game (when there are more than 10 ppl on server) into a mess. Complete random, everyone is dying so quickly, that in order to survive you need to camp, you need to play passive. Even more: while this solution makes 1 vs 1 jedi vs gunner more intensive (I am not touching force drains and so on here, it's a different topic. In two words: I feel drains are so random now), but when there're at least few people in battle as a jedi you need to be passive. There's basically no point trying to be agressive, because projectiles now so fast, that you will get shooted 99% of time if you are trying to rush or split enemy team as a sith or jedi. And that's not all - you see, guys, you didn't balance rest of the game (I am talking mainly about jedi/sith) to it. For instance, deflect now is awful. Blasters deflecting at some random place, and it drains your force so fast, that you will die in 3 seconds trying to delfect even from a very long version. Or let's take mando. It got hugely nerfed. How? Because of the projectiles - now you can't fly as a mando with dodging blasters without worrying of getting shot. Because hitting shots now so easy as it possibly be.
Another issue with projectiles - everyone is dying too fast. Guys, in description of this game you're proposing us to play as a heroes (or villians) from Star Wars. Heroes (I am not talking about hero class) doesn't die in one second. Heroes and villians should be scary. They should be OP under right circumstances. MB2 was never about balance, and it shouldn't be balanced. Earlier was meta, that ET's and soldiers were almost OP. Too strong, especially if you compare it to other classes. Now there's no point to play something besides et or sold (or wookie for rebels) if you want to get kills.
Few lesser issues:
broken deka. It doesn't work, it doesn't need. It doesn't work if opposite team have jedi or arc or clone. 3/7 classes are complete counter to it. And you buffed pulses with some scary numbers. It's not a bad idea (actually, I think it's even a good idea) but not with deka.
OP wooks. Wooks were always OP except the previous patch and it's good (again, I think every class should be OP in it's own way). It's just too good for now.

We'll have PUG this weekend and test will test this version with a tactical gameplay, but for now, they way I see it, mb2 not so fun anymore. It lost it main feature. Hope that I'll be wrong, but when I imagine what experience I got from mb2 whenever I want to join the server, I feel that I will have almost the same in many other shooters. But more smooth and overall better.
I don't know how to explain it better. I hope that I am overreacting. But for now many good players with whome I spoke shares my opinion.
I do hope that we won't lose the rest of our playerbase. I hope that I'll not lose interest to mb2. But for now it seem not as bright as it always was.

@Pepsi: Copy your projectile speeds feedback to the projectile feedback thread please. I don't want to be the only one arguing against the change =).

Bowcaster rework towards TFA style fantasy
I dont quite understand what you mean by "TFA style fantasy". Could you elaborate for me?

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Bowcaster rework towards TFA style fantasy
I dont quite understand what you mean by "TFA style fantasy". Could you elaborate for me?

Tho, watching this clip, it's not especially clear whether the bowcaster shots have that much explosive firepower or whether Han shot some explosive piece of scrap lying on the ground (there's a sort of tube/missile shaped thing he shoots at, of you look closely. Maybe that's what blows up.)

edit: Here's a better clip of definite direct hit firepower (skip to 3:24)
So my best guess at what a "TFA style fantasy" would be... would be basically a conc blob cannon, haha. But with additional damage, and additional horizontal knockback, like a push. Could balance it in various ways like requiring a long charge up, having a long cooldown afterwards, making it deflectable instead of unblockable... but the core of what I'd consider a "TFA style fantasy" would be that massive single-shot blast-you-off-your-feet type damage.

Last edited:
welcome to the great gameplay experiment

maybe this experimental attitude is how mb2 got as gud as it is
Fair, but-

1) You'd think they'd have it down after a decade enough where gameplay changes of this magnitude aren't the norm
2) In experiments, acknowledging failure is critical in the search for success.

A hope for us is to lock these things down for Saber vs Saber and Saber vs Gunner core mechanics. More precisely targeted changes and improvements are on the pipeline after this. Expect the core to stay the same for now.

The core gameplay in regards to saber v saber and saber v gunner is the main issue I have with this update! Red and purple are the new meta- any other styles are at an extreme disadvantage and are only used to show off experience with the game.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
The core gameplay in regards to saber v saber and saber v gunner is the main issue I have with this update! Red and purple are the new meta- any other styles are at an extreme disadvantage and are only used to show off experience with the game.
No, there are no extreme disadvantages with styles anymore. You just can't stand still and tank red or purple so you have to figure out something else, i've used all styles and every one of them work against them and against other styles as well except blue and cyan that lack offensive power (which is good). Finally we have style balance

Maybe people are actually good at predicting and pblocking rather than just getting lucky?
I stopped playing since zoned PB implementation, joining only time to time to test what's new. No, I can't PB for shit, I'm not good at it, I never practiced it, I don't like it. It's a literal godmode for whoever learns it, now even moreso since it gives BP. Yet, I do random PBs and I'm at full BP. I guess I'm just too good at this game man.

Obviously I'm not saying that I do random PBs everytime and thus never lose, I'm saying it happens too often, is not related to skill, and will continue happening regardless of who is dueling who.

No, there are no extreme disadvantages with styles anymore. You just can't stand still and tank red or purple so you have to figure out something else, i've used all styles and every one of them work against them and against other styles as well except blue and cyan that lack offensive power (which is good). Finally we have style balance
Except hit-and-run with Red is viable as ever even with the implementation of damage modifiers to running people. Purple stab is insane, too, and that's coming from a purple main.